Chapter 20: Is it a Dream?
847 6 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiko POV

"Auun~"(Reiko)

My eyelids opened and I was instantly greeted by the warm rays of sunlight. Like a huddling in a thick blanket on a cold winter's night, I felt the warmth hugging me. A well rested yawn left my mouth.  

When was the last time I slept this rested? 

"Reiko! You're finally awake!"(Kamoume)

Kamoume yelled as she tackled me, pushing me onto the tree. 

"Breakfast is already over and now we have to go!"(Kamoume)

Kamoume said as she frantically shook me back and forth. She had an angry pout plastered on her face. 

"o- ok"(Reiko)

"Because you overslept we couldn't play! I even tried waking you myself but you wouldn't budge!"(Kamoume)

Oh. That's strange.... I don't normally sleep that much... 


"Everyone careful! It's an ambush!"(Kite)

The carriage was surrounded by the walliopters, Mr. Kite drew his sword and I jumped out of the vehicle, ready to fight. 

Mr. Kite lunged at each and every walliopter, his arms swung the sword creating small cuts. Every part of the walliopter's body was covered in cuts, until Mr. Kite, pushed his weapon into the beast's head, breaking it in half. 

He moved swiftly like the wind taking walliopter down, one after another. My feet were rooted to the ground, as I surged the mana into my hands. I felt my hands heat up but then. 

nothing. 

My body froze, and then, all at once, I felt the burning fire. I don't know what happened, I can't explain it, but, I was in that world, the burning world. 

"Watch out!"(Kite)

I was suddenly woken up from my trance, leaving the world as soon as I entered it. A walliopter leapt at me with an unhinged mouth. Mr. Kite rushed in, slicing the jaw off of the walliopter. 

Before I could think, all of the enemies were gone. Mr. Kite was retreating back to the carriage leaving me alone; my arms were shaking.


"Reiko, where was the boom boom?"(Kamoume)

Kamoume ran to me and asked. 

"I- I don't know..."(Reiko)

Was all I could say, because I honestly didn't know what happened. 

"Hmmm, maybe it's because you sleep too much! It's the gods punishing you for being lazy!"(Kamoume)

Kamoume said as she slapped my back. 

"But that don't matter anymore, so let's just go play!"(Kamoume)

"ok..."(Reiko)

I said and Kamoume grabbed my arm and dragged me out. 

The day passed normally, I tried my best to forget what happened this morning. But no matter what, it was always out of my control, it just, just feels like it is a part of me.

It was already nightime, with the sky navy-blue, and clouds hiding the moon. Mrs. Moume, Mr. Tofu and Kamoume were all asleep, with Mr. Kite deep into the forest, training, leaving me alone.

I closed my eyes shut, and lied on the ground, trying to whisk away into dreamland. My mind was starting to drift; soon swaying into sleep.

...

I lied. 

I wanted that to happen but instead, I couldn't. Every time I was about to sleep, the unbearable heat woke me up, sweaty and with shallow breaths.

Getting up, I walked outside to get some fresh air. Green grass tickled my feet, as I strolled to a nearby tree. I sat down and laid on the trunk. 

"hahh~"(Reiko)

Breathing in the cool, crisp air and exhaled humid air. I gazed at the starry sky when I heard Cheryl's voice.

"Reiko, are you feeling alright?"(Cheryl)

Cheryl said as she pat my head. I simply shook my head left to right. 

Cheryl's eyebrows closed and her mouth formed an upside down U. Her hands were on her hips as she said.

"I know when you're lying."(Cheryl)

I felt her hands grabbed my cheeks and turn my head towards her. Her face softened into a warm smile as her mouth opened. 

"Now, tell me what's going on, okay?"(Cheryl)

"ok....... I... I just can't sleep..."(Reiko)

"Nightmare?"(Cheryl)

"y.... yes..."(Reiko)

"I see..."(Cheryl)

Cheryl pulled me into a tight hug with a warm smile. 

"Nightmares are scary, aren't they? But it's going to turn out alright, okay?"(Cheryl)

"O- okay"(Reiko)

"Well, it's already this late, call my me when you're feeling scare, okay?"(Cheryl)

Cheryl let out a yawn and released me from the hug. She had a sleepy look on her face and soon disappeared into the night sky. And I again was left alone. I closed my eyes, trying to fall asleep, but I couldn't, no matter how many times I tried,  I was only greeted by the fire. 

"hah..."(Reiko)

I let out a sigh, as I got up and went towards the carriage, in defeat. 

"Hey kid, having problems sleeping again?"(Kite)

My ears perked as my head turned to see Mr. Kite. He leaned onto a tree, a smirk on his face. 

"y- yes..."(Reiko)

"Heh, thought so."(Kite)

Mr. Kite took out a vile with a purple liquid out from his coat. It looked like the exact same thing he used yesterday. He walked up slowly, swaying the potion side to side. 

"Remember this?"(Kite)

"y- yes"(Reiko)

"Good, here you go."(Kite)

Mr. Kite threw the potion at me and I caught it with perfect precision. 1She stumbled - Kite She probably stumbled - Cheryl 

"That should help you sleep, just a inhale a bit of it, okay?"(Kite)

"oh, okay, th- thank you."(Reiko)

Mr. Kite smiled as he waved his hand and said

"No problem, sleep well."(Kite)

"g- goodnight! .... uhm, excuse me Mr. Kite?"(Reiko)

"I promise you that wont kill you."(Kite)

"ah, no, I, why are you giving me this?""(Reiko)

Mr. Kite smiled at my question. 

"I know what going on without sleep feels like."(Kite)

He then grabbed his sword and turned around, going back into the forest.

I removed the plug from the vile; it let out a sweet aroma, similar to a flower field. I lost balance and quickly fell fast asleep. 


"Mommy, how long until we reach home?"(Kamoume)

"We'll be there in about two days honey."(Moume)

Kamoume inflated like a balloon, making a gigantic pout. 

"Awwe, we've been stuck here for like, a million days!"(Kamoume)

Mrs. Moume had a sympathetic look in her eyes. Her hand lightly patted Kamoume's yellow head. 

"Can you wait just a little longer for mommy?"(Moume)

Kamoume resembled an aggravated cat with her eyes wet from tears.  

"If you be a big girl then when we get home, I'll give you all the candy you want."(Moume)

"Really?"(Kamoume)

Kamoume's face changed instantaneously, as if there was a switch that was turned. The carriage was moving slowly down the dirt road. I was sitting while looking at the nature outside. Just like a watercolour painting, the leaves were vibrant greens, complimenting the cyan sky. 

My nerves were calm, it has been really peaceful these few days. The carriage hasn't experienced any attacks, and Mr. Kite gave me the potions for me to sleep.

I felt myself being drifted away at the tranquility of life, no pain, no worries, no stress. Thinking about it, maybe I should stay with Kamoume and Moume when we reach their village- no, Reiko, remember what you have to do. You have to find and make sure she's alright fine first, then you can be relax. 

After thinking that, I heard the voice of Kamoume calling me. 

"Reiko, I'm bored, let's go play!"(Kamoume)

"nng,"(Reiko)

I bobbed my head up and down and was quickly dragged away into the trees. 


The missile passed me, grazing the side of my head. I poured power into my legs, leaping like a grasshopper, away from the projectile. 

"Come on, it's not fun if I am the only one throwing!"(Kamoume)

"Ok!"(Reiko)

I said with resolution surgung through my body. The score right now was 0 to 9, 2 it's actually 0 - 12 -Cheryl but that doesn't mean I can't win this! I just need one good shot!

I threw it like a profesional baseballer. It soared through the air, going at lightning speed. Kamoume dodged the attack leading it to roll into the green bushes.

"Oh, nice shot! I'll go get the baller."(Kamoume)

Kamoume said as she made a giant thumbs up before skipping to get the ball. 

I wiped the sweat off of my head. How long has it been sinced I exercised this much?

I grabbed the a nearby bottle of water and began dranking. My mouth was filled to the brim with water until...

"WAAH!"(Kamoume)

I heard a loud high pitched scream coming from Kamoume's direction. The water in mouth instantly blasted out of my nose as I rushed to where Kamoume was. 

Thorns brushed my arms leaving small scratches. The scream was getting closer, louder. 

"Are you ok!?"(Reiko)

I yelled as I saw Kamoume's horrified face. Her body was shaking like there was an earthquake, her face sunken, her eyes as big as the moon. Clumsily she backed away from the thing. I turned my head to see what it was. 

It could be described as a monster. Similar to all the walliopters, except, it was almost the double the size. Purple, leather-like armor was adorned on its back, two saber teeth protruding from its upper mouth, accompanied by a million needle teeth. It looked like the king of all walliopters. 

"r- reiko, h- help..."(Kamoume)

Kamoume whispered. Her eyes pleading, her face drained of all colour. 

The creature screeched an ear piercing sound as it dived towards Kamoume, jaw unhinged, about to crush her skull. 

Out of instinct, I charged all my mana into my hand. I tried to release all of it, into one explosive blast. But I couldn't... Just like last time... The world fogged up and burned up. My body was frozen solid, why was this happening, I don't know. Heartbeats racing like an Olympic runner, but not even a muscle could move. 

"Reiko! snap out of it!"(Cheryl)

I heard Cheryl's voice echo. The world wobbled and broke, freeing me from the trance. 

Cheryl was fending off the beast, using wind to push it backwards. 

"Reiko! Are you alright!? I can't fend it off any longer! Run away with Kamoume now!"(Cheryl)

The world devolved into chaos, my focus running to one place to another. I don't, I can't, why is this happening! 

I felt it boiling deep in me, something way out of my control. 

A bloodcurdling cackle boomed out of my mouth as I was set ablaze. 


Third Person POV

Deep in the forest, there was a red, burning monster. Its limbs thin but its claws as sharp as a sword. Its stare at the salliopter was as deadly as a knife, the white, pupil-less blankly peering at it.

The monster swung its arm, sending a massive wave of fire, leaving nothing but destruction. The salliopter evasively dodged the attack, only getting burned a little.  The monster's eyes sharpened into a nasty look, its jaw opening. A beam of scalding gas shot at the salliopter, scattering everywhere. 

"Ahh!"(Kamoume)

Kamoume's leg was caught in the crossfire. 

Yet the monster was only focused on one thing, to kill.

It clawed away at the flesh of the salliopter, causing it to shriek in pain. Wounds covered the salliopter's skin, it was weakening. The salliopter with the little strength it has, desperately to tried to retreat. It ducked and weaved passed the balls of flame and disappeared into the woods. 

"Ahhh! MAMA!!!"(Kamoume)

Kamoume was yelping in pain, her leg red from blisters. Cheryl was doing all she could to treat the wound, as the monster lingered, burning everything it saw. 

"Reiko! Control yourself!"(Cheryl)

She yelled as chunks of earth protruded from the ground and encased the monster. 

"Reiko!"(Cheryl)

The earth was melting from the sheer heat, Cheryl hurriedly trying to replace it. 

"reiko..."(Cheryl)

The monster's head made 180 turn, facing the girl and the woman. It peered at them, its tongue sticking out. It moved step by step, its claw wide open.

"SCRAAAAAAAAH!"(Monster)

It screamed while lunging at the two. Cheryl prepared bullets of wind to the fend it off when a sudden tube was launched towards her. Purple smoke shrouded around the monster making it weaker. The fire died down revealing a white haired little girl, tired and worn. Although she was about to collapse, her face was twisted, horrified. 

"...at...av....done..."(Reiko)

She mumbled before passing out.

 Standing here I realize You are just like me Trying to make history But who’s to judge The right from wrong When our guard is down I think we’ll both agree That violence breeds violence But in the end it has to be this way I’ve carved my own path You followed your wrath But maybe we’re both the same The world has turned And so many have burned But nobody is to blame Yet staring across this barren wasted land I feel new life will be born Beneath the blood stained sand Beneath the blood stained sand

29