Chapter 28: The Night Before the Festival
517 1 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiko POV

The village was bustling, full of life and vigor. The houses were decorated with flowers and plants, neon mushrooms covering the field. Candles prepared to be lit, well more like torches, the moon high up in the air dancing with the stars in the sky. Men carried planks of wood and stone on their backs, women decorating the village while preparing meals, children ran around in their colourful costumes and wooden masks.

And I, was sitting all alone in the corner of the village.

Kamoume and Moume were out helping with the chief, leaving me all alone frozen like a statue.

"uuuugh...."(Reiko)

Curse my social anxiety!

While everyone else were preparing for the upcoming festival tomorrow, I was sitting here minding my own business, existing. What a life to live.

!

My ears shot upwards, something was pushing me from behind! I turned to see... Cheryl.

Noticing me, Cheryl just smiled.

"Cheryl, what was that for?"(Reiko)

"To help you get up and socialise, it's not healthy sitting here all alone y'know."(Cheryl)

Easy for you to say.

I shook my head left and right rapidly. No way I'm going to go out there alone!

"Awe, come on, just a little bit."(Cheryl)

Cheryl scooped me up, trying to get me to stand.

"no thank you."(Reiko)

I said, immediately getting back onto the ground. Cheryl frowned, her arms on her waist.

The rest of the evening passed by slowly. Cold air gently brushing my face. Excited voices and gossip echoed throughout. The amount of people dwindled, one by one everyone went back into their houses, resting for the rest of the night.

As Kamoume and Moume returned, we went back to the burrow. Eating dinner and washing up, I went to bed, summitting myself, to the world of sleep.

---------

'Waiting in a castle

So far, so far, so far

Underneath the moonshine

I dance alone in melancholy

Oh my king, have you forgotten your princess?

Who's so far, so far, so far~'

What is that?

My eyes opened, half closed and half dazed. It was dark out, probably around 3 a.m. The air was chilly like the Arctic sea causing me to shiver in place.

There was a soft, ominous voice that rung like a bell. 

"cheryl, do you hear that?"(Reiko)

"hear what?"(Cheryl)

"the voice."(Reiko)

"Reiko, I don't know what you are talking about."(Cheryl)

It seems like Cheryl didn't hear it, maybe it has to do with my ears. 

'The kingdom that we used to roam

Fallen down to the ground'

There it is again.

I climbed down from the bed, tip toeing towards the voice, trying not the alert anyone. The voice got louder and clearer, sounding more like a flute the closer I got.

Passing by the bedrooms, bathrooms and thr kitchen I made my way to a door, far away from anything else.

It was old and unkempt, infested with spiderwebs, dusty and moldy.

Given any circumstance, I would not go in there, but this was an exception. There was something in there, no someone in there, and like I trance, I was trapped by her voice.

'Running till the rise of the morning sun'

I can't wait any longer, my curiosity needs satisfaction.

Grabbing the knob of the door, I turned it. The door squeaked open. I took one step forward to see it, to see her.

The room was abandoned, nothing but empty crates and broken pots filled the room. If it was any other time of day, I would've just passed by it, not even giving it a looking glance, but this time, this time it was different.

Her long pale hair reflected from the moonlight. Her white dress fluttering in the wind. Her skin was as fair as porcelain, her eyes radiant as ocean water. She was a model, a true beaut, but there was something off about her. She was floating to say the least, but she also has a dead, emotionless expression.

My body moved subconsciously, my arms raised towards, my hands open, as if it wanted to see if she was real.

"I-"(Reiko)

Before I could say a word she flew away, out of a trapdoor.

My ears perked and without thinking, I moved.

"p- please wait!"(Reiko)

I ran, jumping out of the trapdoor. My barefeet touched the grass, as if waiting for me, she stopped in place staring at me.

The air was cold, coupled with my pajama of a simple t-shirt and short pants, it was nearly freezing.

 But I didn't care.

I chased after the mysterious woman, every time I got close she just flew farther and farther away.

I ran and ran and ran. Soon my feet became brown and muddy, my hair kept getting tangled and messy from the branches. Sweat was running down my back, getting my clothes wet.

Cold breaths left my mouth, goosebumps appeared on my arms. Yet I ran farther into the woods, deeper and deeper and deeper, until I was practically in the middle of nowhere.

All the trees looked the same, zero distinguishing features. The lady stopped moving, hovering over two mounds. 

The moonlight shone onto the woman and the mounds, glistening.

"Wait Reiko, we don't exactly know who she is nor her motives."(Cheryl)

Cheryl warned me to not trust her, her arms in front of me. However, I didn't listen, her words going in one ear coming out the next.

Her index finger gestured me to come to her. I walked slowly, catching my breath now that she slowed down. She stopped, pointing at a tree that had a giant hole.

I moved Cheryl's arm away, quietly walking towards the tree. The grass crunched every time I took a step.

Was she telling me to look inside?

I wondered, eventually sticking my head into it to see, a wooden box?

"REIKO!"(Cheryl)

I took it out, it was locked tightly. No amount of brute strength was gonna work.

The lady approached me, moving my chin so that I see her eyes.

'over~ there~ dig~'(lady)

Her voice changed, it was ghastlier, quieter, eerier. It still had the bell like tone to it, but this time, it gave off an ominous feeling.

She pointed at... grass...

Moving towards there I asked her,

"here?"(Reiko)

And she nodded.

It was hard to say the least. Using my nails I dug through the grass, ripping it apart, moving the dirt away.

I kept on digging and digging and digging until... jackpot.

A key!

I wiped the key, dusting off the dirt. It was silver with a distinct pattern. I turned around to see the lady handing the box over to me.

"should I open this?"(Reiko)

She simply nodded.

 I inserted the key into the keyhole, twisting it until it opened. Looking inside the box, what I saw was, paper?

I took it out, it was not just a paper, it was a letter half torn apart.

'Please do not let me burden you, please for my sake keeping moving forward, I know I haven't been the best but in my last moments I still have one more thing to say, I love you. Be free, for me.'

"w- what is this?"(Reiko)

!?

She disappeared, as if there was nothing there to begin with. I couldn't believe my eyes.

I rubbed my eyes to see if it was all just a dream. Huh?

I froze, like time just stopped, there wad no way that this wasn't a dream.

The grass became hard wood, the mounds disappeared, I was covered from the moonlight.

I was back at the house, back at the guest room, back at my bed... that couldn't have all been a dream right?

No, I was still drenched with sweat and my hair was still a mess.

"cheryl did you see that?"(Reiko)

"Yes I did."(Cheryl)

Cheryl grumbled and pinched my left cheek.

"Ow wow..."(Reiko)

She looked angry, really angry....

"Reiko don't go around trusting other people! Especially ghosts! If she was evil do you know what could've happened to you!"(Cheryl)

"uhh.... but wasn't it the same when I met you?"(Reiko)

"I-.... that's not the point!"(Cheryl)

Uh oh, it seems like she's really angry, welp see you folks in the other side.

short chapter go brrrrr

Looks like Cheryl isn't the only undead waifu to join Reiko's harem. Jk jk, Reiko's staying single forever. 

-'sad Reiko noises'

20