Chapter 30: P’horruki Festival 1
518 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiko POV

"WHAT'S SO FUNNY!"(Kamoume)

Kamoume's flared her nose as her body was lit on fire. I could only chuckle in this situation. Her legs stomping the ground, killing the inhabitants of antville.

"HMPH! I'm not going to be friends anymore!"(Kamoume)

"eh? Uhmm, what if I buy the tokori you asked?"(Reiko)

"Then I'll think about it!"(Kamoume)

She said her arms across her chest. Eyes closed, brows furrowed, forming a (︶^︶) face.

Looking at the nearby vendor, I took a deep breath, releasing my tension and took a step forward. It felt uneasy, yet I trudge. My legs were shaking, but I told myself that it's gonna be fine. It's gonna be fine. It's going to be fine....

It will be fine....

The stand was wooden with bright decorations. Paper lanterns hung on the roofs, small antique figurines as decoration.

The man in the stand was yelling his heart out, trying to get attention from any possible customers.

"Just one in your mouth would make you start wanting more!"(vendor)

"uhmm, ex- exacuse me~ can I get a t- tokori... please..."(Reiko)

I managed to whisper out.

"Why of course, that'd be 5 quils."(vendor)

He said handing me a white ball. 

"th- fank you..."(Reiko)

I stuttered as I grabbed the tokori, gave him the money and scurried away.

...

"NOM"(Kamoume)

Kamoume took a massive bite on the ball, a pleased look on her face. She turned to look at me with serious, giant eyes. The stare was so intense that it could even make a baby bunny to startle.

"All is forgiven, now let's go have more fun, but this time, don't leave big sis Kamoume's side!"(Kamoume)1umu... curse my stature -Reiko

Kamoume lead the way and I followed behind. Taking one step at a time, I tried to ignore everyone, I tried to ignore them.

I felt unsettled, uneasy, as if I was a student about to receive his test paper. But her words, Cheryl's words sunk deep, deeper than the Mariana trench, so I simply move forward, hoping that things will get better.

The winds whirled, cool as the arctic snow yet, there was a certain warmth in the atmosphere. From the glow of the paper lanterns, the jingles of chimes overpowered by the lively music. Giggles and laughter from all angles.

Following behind the blondie, I somehow felt more at ease. Maybe... maybe it truly wasn't thst bad... maybe, maybe while I have the chance, I should enjoy this... have fun... 

But... no...

No more but's, I will have fun no matter what!

I felt the fire inside me burn, erupt like a volcano. I was resolute, unchanging and unwavered. Energy coursed throughout my body, I was feeling really pumped!

Following Kamoume behind, one step at a time, releasing all thoughts and worries I-

"Reiko let's go play that!"(Kamoume)

"Ok!"(Reiko)

I shouted as I ran to the stand. There were a series of blow darts and shoots, with targets on the wall. Ready and full of life I asked the man running the stand.

"I! oh uh, ahh, can I p- pway a g- game? p- please..."(Reiko)

-I failed....

Turns it was much harder than I thought....

All my confidence went out like water in a drain. I felt yet again, shaky... my head was starting to feel like it was in an oven, with my body in the fridge.

Taking in a deep breath, I calmed down my nerves. 

"That will be three quils for 7 shots or five quils for fifteen."(game runner)

I handed him ten quils so that both Kamoume and I would have fifteen shots.

Kamoume went first, inhaling the air just like a certain pink video game character and shooting the dart with the force of a typhoon.

The dart flew like a ballistic missile, hitting straight at the target, making a bullseye!

"Yes!"(Kamoume)

She said punching the air.

She went off making bullseye after bullseye, until she hit every target with a couple left to spare.

There was a wide grin on her face as she posed like a superhero.

"Hehehe, now it's your turn!"(Kamoume)

I gulped, grabbing the bamboo shoot, loading a dart and...

Fwhoop!

I shot the dart with all the power I had. It traveled far, slicing the air, making a perfect shot!

...

Well.... that's what I wished for...

In reality the dart only managed to make halfway before falling to the ground...

Umu... you failed meeeee....

"Pwahaha! Reiko you suck! Even babies in P'horruki can do better!"(Kamoume)

"!!!"(Kamoume)

"Oh uh, ah, I'm sorry, don't cry!"(Kamoume)

Eh?

I felt my cheeks to feel, tears...

Huh? Why am I crying? I'm not feeling sad...

"eh? But I'm not feeling sad... c- calm down!"(Reiko)

Kamoume was moving frantically, her arms jolting and waving in the air. It took a millennia to calm her down. 

"uhhh, I though I was gonna be in trouble.... don't scare me like thattt..."(Kamoume)

It was not intentional though....

...

But still, why was I crying?

Was it dust in my eye... or was it that my eyes had too much moisture... it's been weird all day! What is going on!? 

Maybe I can try to find the root cause, maybe if I think deeper, maybe I can-

No, let's not go there. Let's not think of 'that'.

"Reiko! Let's now go do something else! I don't like it here!"(Kamoume)

"but, I only threw one dar-"(Reiko)

Not even allowing me to finish my sentence. I was pulled and carried away, gorilla style, by Kamoume.

-------

Strings were plucked, drums were beat and flutes were blown. Music radiated throughout the dark of the night, as we went from place to place, stand to stand, trying out food and playing games.

"hehe~☆"(Reiko)

"You're so good!"(Kamoume)

Kamoume applauded me after I perfectly estimated the weight of a watermelon like fruit.

Yup, you can learn a thing or two when you've been working at the market since sixteen.

Hehehehe~

-------

The warrior swung his weapon, thrusting it right after to impale the dark ghastly demon.

"SCREAAH!"(demon)

The demon spat fire towards the warrior's feet. As agile as a wolf the warrior retreated away, avoiding the attack altogether. He held his spear high, swinging it like he was a helicopter before dropping onto the demon.

The demon was caught off balance, the warrior took no second to hesitate, throwing a high drop kick, sending the demon fumbling back.

The demon had no time to think, before the warrior lunged striking its heart with the spear.

Both the warrior and the demon stood still, not moving a muscle. There was silence as the warrior slowly moved his spear away. At that moment blood gushed out, as the white haired menaced fell to the ground, unmoving, dead.

"WOOOOH!!!!"(audience)

The audience roared, clapping and excitedly cheering. The stage curtains came down, hiding the stage and actors.

I wiped off my tear, it was truly a beautiful story, one of revenge, tragedy, love and bloodshed.

Truly a masterpiece.

Kamoume was on my side, appreciating art in her own way.

"WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP!!! MORE! WE NEED MORE!!! MORE VIOLENCE! MORE BLOOOOOOOD!"(Kamoume)

Yeup, appreciating art.

--------

Kamoume was moving, gliding and sliding, prancing on the wooden floor.

She weaved and her feat tapped the floor, swirling and spinning, not so, gracefully. Her body moved to the beat of the music like a metronome. A crescent shaped smile on her face.

"C'mon, it's no fun alone!"(Kamoume)

I don't know, seems like you're having a lot of fun.

Kamoume reached out to me, her arms in the air, mouth shaped like the triangular one of a bunny.

"n- no thanks.."(Reiko)

I said, sitting on a wooden bench.

"Awwe, come on! It's gonna be fun!"(Kamoume)

Kamoume's yellow ears folded, her eyes enlargened, giving me the puppy dog eyes.

"I- i rather not... sorry..."(Reiko)

It's for the best I not, I'm not really the dancing type... or the socialising type...

I heard the whimpers of Kamoume.

Oof! My heart....

It felt like it was about to explode.

---------

Grrr.....

"I'm hungry! Let's go eat!"(Kamoume)

Kamoume suddenly shouted, catching me off guard. Sprinting at the speed of sound, she zoomed past me. I panicked, trying to catch to her speed of mach 20.

We arrived at a cart with red curtains. Kamoume moved the curtains apart, jumping onto a seat.

"TWO NOODLES PLEASE!"(Kamoume)

She said banging the table like a jury and his, or her, hammer. The loud bang caught the attention of the people nearby.

Uhhh.... my face flushed red with the feeling of embarrassment, shame and nervousness. Thanks Kamoume...

I pulled my ears like a hood, making myself as small as possible.

The chef quickly got to work, cooking up two bowls of steaming hot noodles. 

The broth was orange similar to ramen. I took a bite, letting the food coat my tongue. It was like being blown to heaven. The warm soup along with the chewy noodles mingled beautifully.

Sweet, savory aroma tickled my nostrils.

"Fuwah~!"(Reiko)

The world around me just melted as I slurped my noodles, ignorant to the harsh world around me.

"Reiko? REIKO! reiko?

...

Hmmm.... she's noodle drunk!"(Kamoume)

-------

Raging fire rose high up into the air as a large parade of men marched, spears on hand. People heavily clothed with masks threw petals to the side as a large carriage moved forward.

Big orange, red, yellow flowers covered the sides with the occasional blue popping out. In the middle of it all was the chief of the village, Kamoume's grandfather, Umesou.

He sat down legs crossed, wearing a heavy, purple robe. His shoulders were adorned with the skulls of what looked like tigers and boars. His face painted with red paint, resembling a large claw.

The crowd silenced, all bowing, including Kamoume.

...

!

I stumbled quickly bowing like everyone else. 

As the carriage got ever so closer, the ringing of the bells the blowing of the flute got louder and louder. Like an orchestra it played loudly and clearly.

The atmosphere was intense, yet had an extreme sense of grandiose.

The flames on the torches danced to the guidance of the wind, the-

"CHIEF! I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DUEL! A DUEL OF POWER! I WIN, I get my freedom!"(boy)

I was mesmerized, entrance by the sight, but my illusion didn't last, it was broken, broken by the yell of a teenage boy that softened to a whisper.

master procrastinator. Sage of laziness.

15