Chapter 38: Cheryl’s Lament
343 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cheryl POV

"kek..."(Cheryl)

My guts were rearranged, no, not just rearranged, it was completely dismantled. I felt my lunch, breakfast and dinner all coming, even though I don't eat. The world shook as I barely stomached this attack. Slightly turning my head, seeing the girl I vowed to protect, my heart tugged. Seeing her bloodied and bruised like a bag of fresh meat, my heart was stabbed by the knife of guilt and regret. 

It was a miracle she was alive. Voices, confused and shocked echoed in the arena; looking at me grimace in pain. 

It was a mistake for her to come fight. I saw the glint of fire in her eye before she came into the arena, I knew she needed to do this, but now in retrospective, I should've said no. Even if it hurt me to see her sad, seeing her like this, a living corpse... It's... it's no place nor time to wail. 

My eyes focused, glaring at the man in front of me.  I am ready to do whatever it costs to protect this girl. Grounding myself, I got in a stance, legs bended, fists curled. 

I was ready to do anything, take any hit but then...

!?

There was a sudden burst of wide smoke. Was this some sort of ceremonial act? My mind was a mess, as the crowd devolved into a mob of noise. It was all chaos and I wasn't able to realize what was happening. A sudden figure appeared, taking Reiko and dashing away. 

"huh!?"(Cheryl)

An embarrassed voice leaked from my mouth. I felt someone grab my thighs and my back, carrying me away from the arena. My mood had changed completely, blood rushing to my face, dying my cheeks red like a rose. 

Being taken out to trees and woods, I could vaguely make out their faces. They wore wooden mask resembling animals and monsters I saw back in the day. Each of them wore a dark navy or dark green hood. Pulling themselves with rope, leaping from tree to tree.

Not a word left their mouths as we were being taken quickly. Looking at Reiko once again, I felt a small tear flow.

-------

The flames crackled next to me. Reiko bandaged with a white sash. Her breaths were weak and unstable. Really, how could I let this happen? Father was really right, I never think things through. I wanted her to be happy and do what she wanted, I thought she could've done it. She was determined, something so rare to see, to see her so engrossed into one thing, to see her excited about something. 

I wanted to see her smile, and, and that selfishness made me disregard her health. My head was buried into my legs when I heard a voice.

"Woman, here's food"(Boy)

A young man, about seventeen in age approached me with a bowl of soup. 

"I- i'm okay, no need for food."(Cheryl)

"No eat, now."(Boy)

With an impatient face he pushed the bowl into my face. There was a short moment of silence, what little patience he had left dwindled to nothing. Uncaringly throwing the bowl into my hand, me panickily grabbing it, making sure none of it fell down. 

He turned, walking away.

"Hrek!!!"(Boy)

He was walking away, until he was hit in the head.

"Be nice to her, she's grieving!"(Girl)

"Tch."(Boy)

He clicked his tongue, his rabbit like ears hung down as he gave a disdainful glare at the girl. That face was soon wiped off as soon as he saw the girl glare back with double the intensity. 

Approaching me she said

"Hello, my name is Kuki and we're part of the resistance."(Kuki)

She had a gentle expression, different from how she was with the boy earlier.

"And that idiot over there is Mayo, but you may just call him idiot."(Kuki)

Her attention was drawn to Reiko, her face softened to one of sympathy. Her eyes were sorrowful like a dog who had lost its owner or a kid who had lost his favourite toy. Bending down, she moved the strands of white hair to have a closer look at her wounds. 

"To think that the old man would go this far... It's just cruel."(Kuki)

Kuki frowned, her face wrinkling like an old witch in one of the childhood fairy tales I was told. Anger, hatred and disdain all rolled up into one emotion, expression. Swallowing my saliva I said

"It's nice to meet you, my name is Cheryl and her... her name is Reiko"(Cheryl)

Saying her name I gloomed. The weight of guilt and shame dawned heavy on me. As if thousands of metals and rocks laying on my shoulders. 

Clouded by emotions, tears barely being held back.

There was nothing but silence in the air. 

"She should recover."(Kuki)

I turned my head looking the green haired lass. She was certain, checking and analyzing Reiko's wounds.

"It's not going to be soon, but I bet with the assistance of Leifen, she should be fine."(Kuki)

She looked at me with a warm smile. My heart eased, just knowing Reiko would be okay was enough for me to calm down at the moment. 

"Now, I'll fill you the details tomorrow morning, you should get some sleep."(Kuki)

Nodding my head, I got a blanket, laying next to Reiko, drifting off into sleep. As the somber moonlight shone, the owls hooing. The fire crackling, the crickets chirping. Drowsiness overtook and I soon faded into unconsciousness. 

------

Reiko POV

Hnng?

Sluggishly I opened my eyes, and immediately I was greeted by a blinding white. I had to cover my eyes, it was really bright. Brushing off the headache, I gazed around my surroundings. Soft, cotton-like grass dyed in a pastel lime, the sky having a very slight tint of baby-blue. Everything else was surrounded by an endless white void.

Everything else was surrounded by an empty void except, the small circular table. It was accompanied by a small mug, approaching it, I took a closer look. A light yellowish green liquid was contained in the mug, a small steam coming out of it. 

What is this?

I don't know where I was, but it certainly wasn't the regular world or rather, the magic fantasy world.

"Are you not going to drink your tea?"(Statera)

Hyaah!

I jumped from where I was, turning into a blur, falling down on my back, landing on the floofy tail. Wildly getting up, my head turned left and right. Eventually my gaze landed in none other than the great omnipotent Goddess.

"Oh hoh, no need to flatter me so little one"(Statera)

Oh crap she can read my mind, ah ah, I have to stop thinking... I gotta stop thinking, stop with the dark thoughts, stop it, clear your mental history like now!

"No need to be so panicked, I do not judge!"(Statera)

Gotta delete mental history. Control alt delete, control alt delete!

...

It took a few minutes but now my head is empty. I am at peace.

"Aren't you going to try the tea?"(Statera)

I do not know what 'tea' i- HAh!

"Don't be sly little one"(Statera)

"Yes! Ok!"(Reiko)

Sipping the tea, it coated my tongue. Not bad. It was nice warm and welcoming, invoking a sense of nostalgia a little. Kind of sweet, and earthy, natural-y. 

"w- wow, d- did you m- make this M- miss statera...?"(Reiko)

I said in a soft whispery voice, shaking nervously at the presence of a God. 

"No need to be so nervous, this is not the first time we've met."(Statera)

'y- yes..."(Reiko)

"Hah, well, the reason I am here is to inform you on a little thing."(Statera)

Statera sighed, as she shrunk her size to that of a normal adult woman. Bending down till were eye to eye she grabbed my hand and pulled me away. 

Suddenly the world changed. The sky changed colour, the ground shook and disappeared. Starry dots filled the world as something materialized on her palm. It was so mesmerizing that I didn't realise I was floating... I WAS FLOATING AH!!!

"Calm down please"(Statera)

"Y- yes!"(Reiko)

She took a deep breath in and exhaled. 

"You just now, was a step away from death."(Statera)

I felt chills run down my spine.

"This has not been the first time, listen, little one, you have been gifted with power, yet you have no control over it. It would surely be a shame for you to die because of your power before you meet your sister"(Statera)

A figure formed, it was that of a small child, similar to mine. A red flame in the center of her body grew, and grew, growing so big till it filled her entire body and as soon as it did, the body exploded.

I trembled at the mere sight. Tuning around looking at the Goddess Statera I said

"I- I understand, b- but why are you telling me this? And I- I mean like, I'm not special or, or anything..."(Reiko)

Statera looked at me, and only smiled. Her hand rested on my head.

"If you wish to survive in this world, I recommend you learn more about what you are. Especially with the little eye of yours."(Statera)

After saying that, the world crumbled, the Goddess Statera disappeared in a blink of an eye. W- wait, doesn't she mean who you are... no... I had been having those weird things happen and and, hold on, Kana! I have to ask about Kana where she is and and

"w- WAIT!"(Reiko)

My exclamations fell on deaf ears as the world I was in, was no more.

------

Cheryl POV

I woke up to the cozy sunshine. Getting up from the blanket, I again saw the unconscious Reiko. Clearing my head, I noticed that there were a couple people in the site. I saw both Kuki and Mayo along with a couple others. 

There were about eight to twelve more people, each one of them doing something. Some were cooking, others were training. There was one crafting weapons and tools and there was another, caring for a small farm.

It was a peaceful for the most part. Turning to my side once again, there was a young man with circular glasses and light grey hair tending to Reiko. He must be the guy Kuki told me about yesterday. 

I walked up to the young man and asked him.

"Is she alright?"(Cheryl)

He had an amazed expression, as his head twitched to me. His hands were quivering as he took off his glasses, looking straight at me.

"I- you must Cheryl right? Yes, my name Leifen and in this group, as you can see, I act as a doctor. I have taken a look into this young, girl, and from my observations I can tell she will have a full recovery in couple days. It's truly a miracle, maybe her enemy was holding back or perhaps she got lucky and none of her vitals or bones got any true damage."(Leifen)

His talking was as fast as lightning, I was only able to understand a couple of what he said.

"Uhm excuse me..."(Cheryl)

I couldn't ask him to repeat before he marched away to another man. He was the same young man who had fought on festival night. He was worse for wear, completely wrapped in white bandages a crutch for him to walk. He wore a robe like everyone else, except his chest area was a little open. His sash seemed worn and torn, barely tying his attire. 

Well, no point in sitting here doing nothing.

Sighing, I got up and went over to Kuki, asking her if there is anything I can do to help. 

The third time Reiko has met Statera, wonder if Statera likes to visit all of her reincarnatee's or Reiko specifically, there is an answer to this, an answer I will probably never say, unless you dm me it, of course, since that's spoiler territory, you may only dm a couple hundreds of chapters later. A couple more words to have a total of two thousand words.

14