Chapter 39: Nostalgic Memories of the Past, Hopeful Dreams for the Future
353 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cheryl POV

I approached the girl with moss green hair who was at the moment busy talking to the raven haired Mayo. I didn't hear anything but Kuki had once again slammed her hand onto the latter's head. It was a bit of an awkward situation to say the least but, raising one finger I got the attention of both Kuki and Mayo. 

"Oh, hi lady, you want breakfast or what?"(Mayo)

Bump

Her fist a hammer, his head a nail. A small mound forming on Mayo's head.

"She has a name, Mayo."(Kuki)

"Actually now that think about, you should probably be on a diet, you're kind of heav-EK!"(Mayo)

Heh? My face blushed as a giant torpedo like punch sunk his face in. Kuki had a ferocious eyes glaring down onto the now bruised Mayo. 

"Kuki, do you mind if I?"(Cheryl)

"You may."(Kuki)

Clenching my hand and with the power of an ancient dragon, I pummeled the boy to the point he was nothing but a purple, bulbous mass of bruises. 

Ignoring all this, Kuki lead me to a small hut. In the hut held a small board. Papers and pictures nailed onto it, each holding texts and a small vague outline of a map of the village. Kuki took out a small stick, pointing at the map. 

"Now, I think I should fill you in the details. We are the resistance."(Kuki)

Kuki wore a serious face, staring directly at me. 

"Our goals and desire is to free the village, to leave the gates. As you know ever since this community was founded, we were forbidden to leave, no matter what. We oppose this thought, we will find a way to leave, no matter what, no matter how."(Kuki)

The stick she had moved to an area near the corner of the map, circling it.

"This is where we are, of course not for long. We will have to move as soon as we get found. Now here's the current plan, there's a weak point in one of the fences of village, the wood had began molding, it's flimsy and lightly guarded. In about a week from now, we will raid that area. Part of the resistance will create a distraction while the other chip away at the wood. Once the wood breaks, everyone will scatter and one by one escape."(Kuki)

A short inbreath of air, Kuki said a slightly annoyed voice.

"Of course if we fail, we will recuperate and try again."(Kuki) 

Tossing the stick, Kuki moved past. In a whispery voice she said

"We trust you, but be warned, the moment you betray us, we cannot guarantee your safety."(Kuki)

Saying so, she left the hut, leaving me all by myself. Leaving the hut, breathing in the fresh air, turning my head left and right, looking around. What should I do? 

"Hey, you free?"(Senjin)

I heard a voice calling me on my left. It was none other than the injured boy who had fought not too long ago. Slowly struggling to me, looking me straight in the eye. He wore a smile on his face, looking like an innocent kid. 

"Do you mind if I talk with ya for a moment?"(Senjin)

Having nothing else to do, I simply replied with a 

"Sure."(Cheryl)

...

To a quiet scenic area we went. A log surrounded by a small garden of flowers. Gesturing me to sit, I did, sitting next to him. A moment of peace of silence presumed for about a couple seconds, only for it to be broken by the boy.

"I would like to know a bit of yourself, names Senjin, by the way, son of the late Jinju."(Senjin)

"Well hello Senjin, my name is Cheryl."(Cheryl)

"Nice to meet you Cheryl.

...

Say, tell me a little about yourself. Anything you like to do?"(Senjin)

As soon as I heard him say that, oceans of memories flooded in. Sentimental memories, back in my more youthful days. Cozy and warm like the pie mama baked. I remember those lessons papa signed me in to, those I loved so so very much. Those long pianos that I loved and did not skip. 

"Well, back in my younger days, I would've spent my days, hunting or baking, sometimes playing the piano."(Cheryl)

"Oh really? That's great! What's a piano?"(Senjin)

"Oh, yes, you may have not know what that is considering your situation, well, it's an instrument with tiles you press on to make music."(Cheryl)

Senjin had an amazed look on his face, his ears perking. 

"It must be great being able see the world, I'm jealous, of course not for a while, after all, I will get everyone here free by the end of next week! Then I'll travel the land, going from village to village, meeting new people, eating new fruits."(Senjin)

His smile stretching to the end of the horizon, his teeth sparkled. Arms stretching and forming a giant thumbs up. 

"And if you don't?"(Cheryl)

"Not going to happen."(Senjin)

I gave him a suspicious eye, peering onto his bandaged arm. I saw his smile become awkward as a droplet of sweat went down the back of his head.

"Hey hey, I am different now, stronger and smarter."(Senjin)

"Mhm"(Cheryl)

...

The wind gently blew making the green grass graze my shoes and Senjin's feet. Warm beams of sun slipping through the dense leaves. I felt at ease taking in the serenity of nature. Although I should've been sick of nature, it felt truly different. No more dark lonely days or cold nights. Hah~ what a life, if only Reiko was better. 

"Cheryl, how is it like, the outside world?"(Senjin)

"Hm? Well, there's a lot more to it than just trees and leaves. There are sandy deserts and vast oceans full of water and all sorts of fish."(Cheryl)

"Deserts, oceans, fish, sandy... It must really be cool to see."(Senjin)

He was laying down on his back, a bundle of leaves acting as a pillow. The day sun has begun to set ending the day, beginning the night. 

"It's late, wanna go get some grub with us?"(Senjin)

With my eyes closed, mouth forming a wide smile, I said

"Of course."(Cheryl)

...

Hearing the fire crackle as we walked up to the campsite. A group of people surrounding the flames each of them holding a sharp stick that had fruit skewed into it. 

"Where have you two been!?"(Kuki)

From the crowd a girl called to us. Her eyes were a burning inferno, her teeth sharp as knives. She was a monster, face wrinkling. Her voice boomed like a roar of an iravern. 

"Sorry, just wanted to know a little bit of the new girl."(Senjin)

Senjin held his hand together like a prayer. He made charming grin to Kuki only for it to not work. Her hands slammed into his head making a rather large bump.

"Don't think just cause you're hurt I will go easy on you. Next time tell me at least before you go missing for hours!"(Kuki)

Taking in a deep breath, her finger pointed at me.

"You too Cheryl."(Kuki)

After saying that, she turned away going back to the campfire, cooking her meal. 

"Hey, why did only I get hit?"(Senjin)

"Shut up and just eat!"(Kuki)

We listened to her orders, taking a stick and skewing fruits and produce we were offered. I picked up a maiyoo and a potato, it's not much but it was still something. 

Sinking into the meal, enjoying the taste... if only. I'll be honest, it was a little bit bland, maybe some seasoning may help. Starchy and a little overcooked, it sure wasn't anything gourmet. 

"Excuse me, are there perhaps any salt or pepper?"(Cheryl)

I raised my hand and caught the attention of Kuki and the others. Everyone looked at me with a confused look before shaking their heads left to right. Looking at me with a saddened face, biting off a chunk off her skewer. In a quiet voice that huffed making a sighing sound, Kuki told me,

"Things like meat or salt are a rich villager thing. We only get a few per year, and they're all usually bought out."(Kuki)

She chuckled, staring at the dancing ball of flames with somber eyes.

"Not really a resistance thing."(Kuki)

"Not yet, Kuki once this is all done we'll get all the salt we want."(Senjin)

"Oh shut it, ya be yapping about the same thing over and over."(Kuki)

Her face changed, she herself trying to hide it between her locks of hair. From the corner of my eye, I could see a faint smile. 

"I hope we do"(Kuki)

I stopped only with the two only, I didn't need it after all. As time marched on like a soldier in the morning, the fire died down. As the winds grazed the strands of my hair, caressing it with its cold fingers. Soft and loud snores echoed throughout. Alone sitting next to the fox girl, gazing at the starry night sky. Seeing the stars twinkle showing off their pretty smiles it brought out a feeling of appreciation.

Time could change so much, one moment I was spending hours to play a piece on the piano, next moment I am out here floating in the air. I should cook something for Reiko and everyone else once we're out. 

Ooh, maybe I can cook some roast or a pot pie! Just imaging her cheeks stuffed with my cooking makes me smile.

Stroking Reiko's hair, I said to her in a quiet whispery voice

"get well soon, then I'll make you all the food you want."(Cheryl)

I should get some shut eye. Yawning and lying on the ground, I drifted off into sleep.

"hmm? Ch- cheryl?"(Reiko)

"Yes Reiko?... Reiko!?"(Cheryl)

Eyes opened wide open I jumped up. With a sigh of relief and a rush of shock and joy, I pulled Reiko into a hug.

"You're awake!"(Cheryl)

"ah hah... I'm awaakee..."(Reiko)

She was pulled into a tight hug, and although she was a bit confused, I could only smile.

Chapter Prologue got updated, check it out if you so desire. Tell me what y'all think of it

13