Chapter 43: I Hear you Calling in the Night
509 6 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiko POV

We were rocketing away from the scene, arrows barely missing us as we gradually descended down. It was a brief burst of air but that alone was enough to carry us away to safety. Landing on the ground we had to run on our two legs, I didn't dare to turn back. It's too risky, it's too dangerous, I can't help.

My head was clouded by many thoughts making it feel messy and chaotic. The distance between us grew, as the amount of arrows decreased. Running as fast as we could I felt cuts and bruises forming on my ankles and feet. 

I could simply ignore it, running as if my life depended on it. My feet screamed in agony as I trudge through. 

Dashing through a small stream, we found ourselves a small little cave. It was empty no life but the green patches of moss and small white spider webs.

Collapsing to the cold hard floor, I heaved out sighs of exhaustion. It was cold and dusty but I couldn't care less at the moment. 

Catching my breath, my hair was gently caressed by Cheryl's hands. While I was lying on the ground, Cheryl had already went out and brought some twigs in. A small flame formed in her hands as she lit the twigs. 

Quickly the fire grew to a warm glow. It put me at ease, feeling it's warmth. 

gururururu

My tummy grumbled hungrily. Lips smacking yearning for something to eat. Everything was a flop, a failure, and now, I don't even have anything to eat.

Umuu... 

I turned my head and looked at Cheryl with curious, but dark, eyes. Why didn't we just jump over the fence to begin with? Why didn't we just blast ourselves out when had the chance, why didn't we even take the rabbit boy to safety?

Maybe we had a chance... no we definitely had a chance. We could have escaped.

Thinking and thinking and thinking over and over, all the mistakes piling up, all the things I could've done differently. Burn the wall with fire, created a wall of plants, it's just so... just so...

The more I think, the less it makes sense.

"ch- cheryl, why didn't we just leave? Why didn't we just fly over?"(Reiko)

Cheryl breathed in staring at me with regretful eyes. 

"well, if we did, we could've gotten shot."(Cheryl)

"b- but we had a chance of getting out, of being free!"(Reiko)

Without knowing it, I had accidentally raised my voice. I was frustrated with how things went, getting so close to getting what you want only for it just slip out of your hand's reach. If I was smarter, if things were easier, if they planned things better! I could just, just be out.

But now it's too late.

Cheryl was taken about by my sudden outburst.

She looked confused, before her face changed. Her brows furrowed her smile turning into a sad frown. In an weak soft voice she told me

"Reiko, if we were to ask too rashly you could've died. With the amount of archers guarding the wall, I doubt that- "(Cheryl)

"So? I'd rather be free than be stuck in this damn village!"(Reiko)

In the heat of the moment I could only shout. The thought that by now I could've been out was overpowering. My nails dug into my skin like a knife. 

"So? SO!? You could've died! I am not going to let that happen to you! I vowed to protect you! I let you fight once and look what happened!"(Cheryl)

I didn't say anything in response only growling with a voice of irritation. Just being stuck in here with no other choice left, it was just, just...

Scratching my head my hands clawing my eyes. I stormed off to a corner of the cave. I couldn't go out, at this point it probably was filled with the archers. 

The ground was cold, as I lied down using my coat as a blanket. An angry sigh, more like a snarl, leaving my mouth eventually exhaustion took its toll, I closed my eyes and fell asleep. 

-------

Cheryl POV

Successfully escaping from danger, we found shelter in small cave. Using what little mana I had, I gathered sticks, leaves and twigs and lit it on fire. It's not much and we had no food nor water, but we had to make do with this, given with how guarded the forest is especially with targets behind our backs, I doubt we can leave till the dawn of tomorrow. 

gurururu

Hearing the slight rumble coming from Reiko's stomach, I felt both pity and sympathy. After running for so long, she must have been famished. 

"ch- cheryl, why didn't we just leave? Why didn't we just fly over?"(Reiko)

As I hurriedly got as many leaves and twigs near the entrance of the cave, I heard the bell like voice of Reiko. I could only turn and look at her. There was nothing much we could have done, the chances of survival was near zero if we flew over the other way.

"well, if we did, we could've gotten shot."(Cheryl)

Reiko froze for a second; replying back with a sudden loud yell.

"b- but we had a chance of getting out, of being free!"(Reiko)

Hints of anger and frustration mixed in with feelings of regret, her face changed becoming more wrinkled and uglier. 

"Reiko, if we were to ask too rashly you could've died. With the amount of archers guarding the wall, I doubt that- "(Cheryl)

"So? I'd rather be free than be stuck in this damn village!"(Reiko)

I was shocked for a moment; she erupted like a volcano. Eyes sharp with furrowed brows, teeth showing and grinding against each other. Nails sinking deep into her skin as she looked at me with a nasty glare. She looked at me with only spite and vexation. 

 "So? SO!? You could've died! I am not going to let that happen to you! I vowed to protect you! I let you fight once and look what happened!"(Cheryl)

Taken aback by her outrage I replied with an aggravated yell. She grabbed chunks of her hair and pulled it, gritting her teeth she growled like a wolf in the wild. Marching off into a corner of the cave, she didn't even look at me.

Sitting down on the ground, she eventually turned to her side, covering herself with her navy coat and soon fell asleep.

...

"haah..."(Cheryl)

Falling down onto the ground, I sighed. Never did I think she would get that angry with me. Taking off the gloves on my hand, I held my hanging head with them. 

It's late, I might as well get some shut eye...

Glancing once more at Reiko, I floated near her. She's shivering. Taking off the cape from my back, I gently put on her, making sure she doesn't wake up.

...

I'm sorry... 

I make mistakes too, but hopefully, one day you'll understand why I did it. 

I shut my eyes drifting off to sleep.

------

Reiko POV

'Waiting in a castle

So far, so far, so far'

Hmm?

'Underneath the moonshine

I dance alone in melancholy'

Huh?

'Oh my king, have you forgotten your princess?

Who's so far, so far, so far~'

My slumber was disturbed by a voice. Sharp as a flute but gentle as the ocean waves. Singing a song that seems familiar yet I know next to nothing about. Rubbing my eyes, I got up, a white cape sliding off of me.

It was a white cape with a red inside. It belonged to Cheryl... 

Shaking my head, I put my attention into the voice, the ominous yet bell like voice. There was a chill in the air, enough to see a little mist coming out of my breath. 

Ears wiggling as I looked around observing my surroundings. Listening to the voice I followed it outside, the sound guiding me. 

'The kingdom that we used to roam'

It got louder and louder the more I went outside. 

'Fallen down to the ground'

Poking my head from the sides of the cavern I turned my head left and right; checked to see if there was any danger nearby. Cautiously moving my leg, I left the cave, onto the grassy lands. 

'Running till the rise of the morning sun'

From the corner of my eye, flying high into the air, there she was. With her transparent body, fluttery white dress. Skin as clean and fragile as an art piece. It was her again, the woman I saw that night. 

Her once emotionless face was different now. Somber and tinted with a colour blue. Her dainty hand extended towards me, her slender fingers bending and gesturing me to come. Should I trust her? Should I not? 

I stumbled into this mess because I followed a path without much of a thought yet there was something so alluring. I wasn't in any danger last time, so should I...

"come~"(woman)

In a hushed voice she spoke. Swallowing my saliva once more, I took a step forward. She floated away quickly, sliding past and across the woods. 

ptat ptat ptat

Sounds of grass beating on my leather boots. The wind crisp and cold like a cube of ice or a winter morning. For some reason all sounds were deafened except for the rustling of grass. Where was everyone? Were they gone?

I slowed down my pace, choosing to stay silent. Somewhere hidden amongst all the wildlife, likely or not there are still archers hidden, I can't catch their attention, I am no match alone. 

ta... ta... ta...

Softer sounds of grass as I cautiously walked through the forest. She took me away to weird places. Small hills were climb, overgrown roots jumped over. Walking through streams, making my shoes wet and muddy.

Umu... wet socks...

The flowers were abundant, as the leaves shifted colour, turning bluer. I walked and walked and walked till I greeted by familiar sight.

Two mounds under the moonlight.

A box in between those mounds, a key inserted into it. Slowly approaching it, I twisted the key and opened the box, revealing a half torn letter.

'Please do not let me burden you, please for my sake keeping moving forward, I know I haven't been the best but in my last moments I still have one more thing to say, I love you. Be free, for me.'

It was the same as the one from that one night. 

"can you help us?"(???)

Hmm?

I turned my head to see whose voice it belonged. It certainly didn't belong to the pale woman, no it was young about as young as Kamoume if not younger. Our eyes met, her diluted blue eyes and my heterochromia. A button-like nose, soft rosy cheeks, see-through golden hair bouncing off the moonlight. 

Wearing a ripped and torn robe with what basically were strips instead of sashes. 

"please?"(girl)

I was zoned out but awakened by her questioning voice.

"huh?"(Reiko)

Gently pushing her aside the pale woman spoke. Looking down onto me, I noticed she was much taller than I was1not much of an accomplishment but... -Reiko. Somehow, she looked both alive and vivacious but dead empty. 

"let me explain."(woman)

She said that, hushing to silence before she guided me towards the mounds. I was hypnotized, body moving on its own. Floating on top of the two small hills of grass, she raised her arms ever so slightly.

"my name is Koro, and this girl, she's my daughter, Koume."(Koro)

Her voice echoed, as tender as the calm ocean waves; she gestured to the little girl beside her. A cold, ominous yet mystic sensation floating in the air. Her index finger pointed at the two unnatural mounds in front of me. With a quiet but clear voice she said

"and those belong to us, our final resting place."(Koro)

...

pardon?

She didn't continue with that sentence choosing to stay quiet instead. 

Those... are their graves...

My lips twisted not to a smile nor a frown, but rather an uncertain and sad squiggles. Their graves...

It makes sense given their appearance, but still... 

The death of a mother and her young child... it was, just, it was...

"please, hear our story."(Koro)

Haven't done these in a while, what does this story need?
  • Wholesome Fluff Votes: 20 69.0%
  • Art Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Better written characters Votes: 5 17.2%
  • **plot** Votes: 4 13.8%
  • A love interest for the mc (I'm not doing this) Votes: 3 10.3%
  • the horni times (I'm not doing this neither) Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Better Pacing Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Less Crying Votes: 4 13.8%
Total voters: 29
12