Chapter 45: Birth of P’horruki
349 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Third Person POV

A mass of people running in a disorderly mob. Some injured, others tired, but they all had a grim look, a panicked look. Moving among the forest they retreated as their once home was set ablaze. A cackle echoed along with the screams of the innocent, making a twisted harmony. 

Their distance grew after every step, every hurried run. They huffed out shallow breaths while their feet became sore from the constant running. Beads of sweat all over their faces with some falling to the ground exhausted. 

Dawn broke eventually, as the mob found itself in the middle of nowhere, famished and tired. 

An air of gloom overshadowing the civilians, there stood Umesou, defeated. 

Tailing behind his people, he fell to his knees. Grabbing hold of the grass, ripping it from its roots, his face scrunched up, wrinkles forming on the bridge of his nose. 

"Damn it! WHY!"(Umesou)

BAM BAM

He punched the ground till his fist became muddy. 

"gone, all gone in less than a day."(Umesou)

In a hushed voice he said in between hiccups.

"gone... gone..."(Umesou)

Umesou roared in frustration feeling like he had betrayed those whom he had served to protect. Like a violent animal, clawing and mashing even after his hands have been bruised. 

[I was too weak to kill, too weak to help. My friends, comrades all died and only I survived. If only I was stronger... no, if I was faster... no... if only I- I...](Umesou)

"The hell is this fair!"(Umesou)

There was a wall in him about to break but he did all he could to make it stay up. A soldier shows no weakness, a warrior never fears. A warrior he was called, a fighter, hungry for a battle never backing down a challenge, so why? Why did he freeze in sight of danger, why did he run away like a coward? 

Why was he so slow, given he ran faster, more lives wouldn't be taken.

[I should've died, I'm not strong enough to be taken seriously.](Umesou)

Slowly raising his head he saw his people walking slowly and aimlessly. 

[I'm the last soldier, I must protect them from now on, it's my duty, my responsibility.](Umesou)

"Dear..."(Koro)

Turning his head he met eye to eye with his wife. Worried, her face softened. He was encaptivated by her eyes, finding comfort and warmth after all that happened. Stuck in those blue eyes like gentle waves. 

"Yes?"(Umesou)

Bending down to his level, she cupped his face. 

"Are you alright?"(Koro)

"Better than any scavenger I've eaten."(Umesou)

He chuckled with a grin. Koro frowned and furrowed her brows. 

"You're lying to me."(Koro)

Bringing her face closer till their noses met. The fake facade of a smile dissipated turning into an uncertain look with eyes wide open, a mouth slightly opened, curving downward. 

"You've been so strong all this time, fighting for your life, for everyone, for me. Just for today, be weak, vulnerable and I'll be the one to protect you."(Koro)

Deeply looking into her eyes, he felt at ease. A warmth spreading, it gave him comfort. 

[She's not a fighter, not a warrior, but an angel. I can't give in now, as the last soldier I must- will serve my people and her. To keep the smiles on their faces, to bring about hope for a better future, that's the job of a soldier. My comrades have all passed but their will live on in me. I will not fail them,  I will not fail you.](Umesou)

Grabbing hold of her hands, he stared at her. His face softened, a genuine beam forming. 

"Thank you."(Umesou)

------

Ptack ptack ptack

The fire crackles as everyone gathered and huddled together. The illuminated high in the air signaling night time, but even so not many were asleep. Children were asleep cuddling with their mothers, or fathers, if they had them still. Shivering in the cold that was too strong for even the fire or the blankets to help. Nightmares corrupting their dreams, replaying  yesterday like a film.

The men, the few that remained were left to scavenge for sticks while the women were to go out in the nearby surrounding to find nuts or berries. Usually it would be the men to hunt or scavenge but for the village to survive it must now be the women's turn, after all, the ratio to men and women went from 50/50 to 80/20, all thanks to the war.

Those injured were to lie down as they were tended to their wounds, one of these people being Umesou, tired and battered. Sitting down away from the fire, closer to the small stream, he crunched into the fruit. 

[Morales down, I doubt we can make it long.](Umesou)

Staring at them there was no other word that could describe it but, pitiful. A bunch of clumsy and inexperienced individuals who neither knows how to fight nor hunt. They all knew how to care, sing, bake, but not how to debone a walliopter, or skin a scavenger. 

In this situation they were the prey, the once proud people of Shouruki reduced to scared helpless prey. It hurt his pride but it hurt his heart even more. 

[If this is what Katsuro's army could do, if this what one soldier could do, our future will be... will we have a future?](Umesou)

He clenched his fists, glaring at the pitiful state his entire nation was reduced to.

[The chief's dead, all my higher ups gone, leaving me all alone.](Umesou)

A deep breath went in and then out, getting up from the ground even if he was tired. He dropped his food, he had enough rest, it was time he get things back in order.

[That means it's now my turn.](Umesou)

The people of Shouruki was ruled by strength and power. Leadership and wisdom being passed down to the next heir, the next potential warrior who was leagues above everyone else. But Umesou wasn't a generational prodigy, sure he was strong with an iron gut but that doesn't amount to much in face of real talent.

He was foolish, without a speck of knowledge on how to lead a group of people. However he had no choice, it was duty as the strong to serve the weak. Power isn't a gift meant to be flaunted or abused, it was a duty to protect those who were lesser, weaker. 

His future, the entire future of his once fallen nation lies in his hands. The pressure weighed on him, as if he was stuck somewhere deep in the abyssal ocean. Unsure of how things will work, unsure if there was even a chance, he hoped and hoped, before taking the first step.

Gathering the attention of everyone with the wave of his hand and a loud shout, he got up high up in the air, standing on a tree stump.

"Everyone, times may seem bleak, our chief, friends, family have died. But we can't give up, not yet. I am the last soldier, the last warrior of our former nation. And so, I will take the lead to take back what we once lost, but I can't do that without you, so please, have hope in me and fight this battle!"(Umesou)

...

Silence, he was met with nothing but silence. All who remained just sat there, gazing at him with bleak, empty eyes. 

"Everyone, please we can't give up now we must... we must..."(Umesou)

Not even a nod, they only peered lifelessly, as if they were dead, embalmed corpses. It was hopeless, those who survived not even a muster of courage or will. The attack on the village not only took out the military power, but also the strong, the determined, leaving only the peaceful residents. 

A couple shivered in the cold wind, missing their warm blankets. Hope was draining from Umesou quickly. His face softened and his head lowered while clenching his fist.

"soldier, have you seen what it did? If we're lucky we'd survive till the break of dawn."(Shen)

The young woman said, looking at Umesou with deep sunken eyes. 

Umesou stood not a word to say, taking in deep breaths. He opened his mouth but did not say a word, closing it immediately. He tried to say something again, but retreated last second. 

He collapsed onto the ground and sat down, taking in the warmth of the fire. 

It did not take long till someone came to his comfort. The blonde youth sat next to him. Without even making eye contact, she leaned in for an embrace. 

The winds howled and the fire cackled. A weird concoction of cold and warm, neither balanced, both overpowering each other, neither harmonising. They waited for the night to pass. 

Shree...

Or maybe not.

Getting up, he stood at the center of everyone once more.

"Pack your things, we're moving once the sun rises."(Umesou)

All the villagers who were once solemn had a hint of shock. So no one moved, not even a muscle. 

"what's the point, we're just prolonging our-"(Shen)

Before another word could leave her mouth, she felt a sharp pain on her cheeks. He peered into her eyes with a stern face while she soothed her red cheeks. 

"what, what was that for?"(Shen)

"Shut up and do as I say, we'll be moving deeper into the forest."(Umesou)

His face emanated an aura that asked for no resistance. No one tried to argue, because they had no reason to resist. Staying quiet, time soon passed. 

Falling into the slumber as the fire dwindled away, they hoped things won't turn for the worse. 

------

"Come on, we don't have all day!"(Umesou)

Umesou shouted as he marched deeper into the woods with a group of beast folks trailing him behind. Their shoes, some feet, muddied with the cuts here and there.

Their faces spelled exhaustion with sunken eyes and drooping arms. Since six in the morning they had been moving; it was already two in the afternoon. 

"Mister, can we take a break? My leg hurts."

A child asked Umesou, bending down to his knee, catching his breath. 

"No, not till we find a safe place to shelter in."(Umesou)

Umesou shot back instantly, leaving the child grumbling. Noticing this, Koro approached Umesou.

"Dear, we should take a small break, we've been walking for a while and... well,"(Koro)

Koro gestured to not only those behind her but also her legs. Bruised and shaking steadily her legs were a mess; it was not only her but also the others who shared this sentiments. These people are those who sew and bake, not those who push their bodies to the absolute limit.

"ok..."(Umesou)

Sighing, he raised his arm high up into the air, catching the attention of everyone and stopping the line. 

"We'll take an hour break, then we'll continue our journey."(Umesou)

------

While everyone gathered, eating the berries they had gathered, Umesou was isolated from all of them, choosing to sit under a tree. He clasped a chunk of hair and rubbed his forehead. 

"Honey, are you alright?"(Koro)

Koro sat down in a seiza. Hands holding the latter's hand, she gazed into him.

"I'm just, just a little tired."(Umesou)

"Seems like everything has had a toll on you."(Koro)

Koro whispered to him. 

"yeah... it's just, everything happened so fast and I just can't get everyone to work. Morales down and I have no idea what I'm doing."(Umesou)

"Hey honey."(Koro)

"yeah?"(Umesou)

Closing her eyes, Koro leaned in for a kiss.

"Morning kiss."(Koro)

Koro said with a grin as she slowly moved away from him.

"thanks."(Umesou)

"Now, where's that smile, was I not good enough?"(Koro)

Umesou chuckled at her question.

"Yeah."(Umesou)

Immediately as he said that, he felt a light tap on his head.

"Idiot."(Koro)

Umesou could only giggle at Koro's behavior and like a disease, his laughter spread to Koro. 

"Honey, take a break for now, I'll handle things."(Koro)

"Thank you."(Umesou)

He said with warm eyes, sliding into a more relaxed position. An exhausted sigh escaped his mouth as Koro sauntered away.

...

Surrounded by the fatigued former residents, Koro took a step, near the center. 

"Hello, may I have your attention."(Koro)

Her voice piqued their interests and woke the couple that were asleep. Now all eyes were on her, but she did not feel nervous nor ashamed, after all, not everyone is 3ft 7 midget with a stutter problem. Keeping her composure, making sure that she seemed confident and calm. 

"I know it's been tough on you all, but we must keep our hopes up. While it's scary to face the future especially with how it is, we must not lose faith for the better. I understand you're sad and worried, we all need time to mourn those who we lost, but right now we must keep moving forward."(Koro)

Her words did not get through most, rather most ignored her and those who did listen broke down to an emotional mess.

"you really don't get it. We're no hunters, we're teachers, we don't know how to fish, we know how to sing. If we don't get killed by the army, we'll surely be eaten by a wild animal, or starve to death."(Shen)

The younger woman shot back. 

"Well, my husband can teach you."(Koro)

"but that's-"(Shen)

Getting closer, she clasped Shen's hand. Looking at her with kind and gentle eyes.

"Tell me, is this what our mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters would want? No it is not, and while I also want things to be how it was before but... it can't... it's... it's our duty to carry on their legacy, and we can only do that if we lived on."(Koro)

Head hung down as her grip loosened. A moment of silence, without a peep from either of the two. 

"We'll protect you and take back our lives, but until then please believe on us, okay?"(Koro)

Saying that, Koro beamed sweetly. Lightly dyed pink, Shen backed away. 

"...fine."(Shen)

-----

The sun starting to set, the group kept on moving, moving past large trees and jagged rocks jutting up from the ground. Weeks have gone by and by this time, Umesou was battered and worn out. As the sole soldier he was in charge keep everyone safe, with only one or two former blacksmiths assisting him. 

When the moon stood high and took over the skies, the people of Shouruki rested inside a small plain surrounded by large foliage. The thick leaves barely let any light in, letting any light. 

Snores filled the air, everyone was fast asleep except for Umesou. 

"h- honey? What, what're you doing up so late?"(Koro)

"watching out for monsters."(Umesou)

Umesou wore a stern face. 

"you should- huaa~ get some sleep."(Koro)

"no, I can't. This is my sole duty, I must not fail."(Umesou)

Koro inched closer, opening her arms, only to be met with no reaction.

"what happened to my goofy Umesou?"(Koro)

"Koro, not now, I cannot lose focus, any moment anything could happen, I rested already but now until we find a new home I can't return to being lazy."(Umesou)

He was like a wild animal in chains. A memory so vivid it was like a portrait, just in his mind. Standing in the cold, not minding his lover, only keeping watch for anything that was even remotely dangerous. 

All while he felt as if there was something chipping away at him. Slowly but surely he felt more uneasy. 

"ha- have you been doing this all this time? Sleeping is not being lazy, it's being healthy, now come, I can't sleep without someone by my side."(Koro)

"Koro, no, not now."(Umesou)

A dejected expression was left in her face once she heard him. 

"I miss everyone too, I want to go home."(Koro)

A chord was struck when he heard her sincere words. Her cheery attitude changed. 

"I miss just snuggling or having fun, I miss when we had our little dates, but things are different now. Yet I know I'd still be happy in the future, because I have you."(Koro)

Gentle eyes, she had gentle eyes. An aura of hope, a kind light coming from her. 

"Seeing you all bruised and tired, hurts me, so please just rest tonight."(Koro)

...

"Koro, I can't, I can't be selfish... I can't be weak."(Umesou)

...

"Then, I will stay awake with you."(Koro)

Immediately getting up, she moved closer to him and grabbed his hands. 

"huaa~"(Koro)

A yawn escaped her mouth. 

"Koro you shou-"(Umesou)

"Nope, if you're not sleeping then neither am I. Call me selfish all you want but if I were to die, I want to die with you."(Koro)

She was adamant and stubborn, the lad couldn't refute or rather didn't, since nothing would convince her as it won't convince him. Sighing, he smiled, he was happy and annoyed at the same time.

-----

The sun soon came. Due to the two choosing to stay up late, they had saggy eyes. One by one, the sleepy beast people woke up.

Gazing at their surroundings, they were a little surprised. The sunlight gave them a better view of the forest, yet not too much. Large trees encircled them like a wall. Not too far was a wide, old river.

The area was far from Shouruki, residing in the middle of nowhere. 

[This could be it.](Umesou)

He wondered, stumbling. The villagers fetched water from the nearby river and collected the fruits which were abundant. After the entire night has passed, Umesou did not encounter a single dangerous monster. Was this a gift from the dead? A final goodbye present. It didn't matter now, after all, the journey was over.

Broken from the dreamlike state, he rushed to the people. 

Excitement brew, for he knew that after all that pain they finally found a place to call home. Far from danger, a habitable home with water for farming and fruits and berries in abundance. 

As the travelers packed their things in their worn bags, following the continuous routine, they were stopped by the raised hand of Umesou.

"Stop, we might've found a new home."(Umesou)

-----

At first no one had a clue on what to do, but in time, the first house was built. Digging under trees, they made dens underground, using rocks and wood as support. 

His leadership wasn't great, not even good. Half the days he spent teaching how to hunt, the other half he spent managing the village itself. It took long but eventually, they made a once empty forest into what they call home. 

Using hazumu blooms, they began making houses from above, using fur from the animals they hunted, they made crude clothes to replace their old tattered ones. 

Determined to rebuild what they lost, they worked and worked and worked. As time goes by their wounds healed, letting go of that day and choosing to live for a better life. 

Decades passed, now a somewhat thriving civilization, they endured raids from walliopters by making walls. They created routes to nearby cities for goods. 

They were still a relatively unknown and unimpressive community but they could not care less. 

Umesou sat on top of all this, bits of gray hair popping out now; he was proud of it all. 

...

"p...pa..."(???)

...

"pa... pa...wa... uo"(???)

...

"PAPA WAKE UP!"(Koume)

"HUUUHOOH!"(Umesou)

Koume landed on the stomach of Umesou on her feet. Air was pushed out of his belly straight to his lungs and out of his mouth. Yes, this was the everyday life of the great chief of newly found P'horruki, the brave, determined and old leader. 

Coughing, he got up from his bed. 

"goodmorning."(Koume)

Koume said with a somehow smug but unemotional look. 

"K- Koume, can't you be a little kinder to your papa?"(Umesou)

"Sorry daddy~ I will neva hurt you again, but~ only if you get me a new toy!"(Koume)

Koume said, making her eyes sparkle. Angel wings coming out of her back; only those who knew her, knows to not to be deceived by appearances. 

"hah..."(Umesou)

Holding the bridges of his nose, he sighed. 

"Not old papa, mama made breakfast, let's go eat, I don't got all day to lose."(Koume)

"Okay okay."(Umesou)

Chuckling to his daughter, he got off bed and off to the dining room he went. 

...

"Good morning dear."(Koro)

"Morning beautiful, how about I, heh y'know, get the usual~"(Umesou)

With a grin he pointed to his lips, all puckered up. 

"Ah sorry, we don't sell those today, but we do have grilled pork."(Koro)

Instantly he slumped down. This was not a fun morning for the great, respected, not bullied chief. 

"hehe~ good morning my love."(Koro)

She bent down to kiss her husband. 

"Eww... mom!"(Koume)

Opening his eyes he gave Koro a warm look. 

"happy birthday."(Umesou)

...

"uwah mah..."(Moume)

"See mom, even Moume doesn't like it! You gotta stop with all the sappy talk while eating."(Koume)

Taking notice of, Koro took out a small wooden cup and wooden spoon. She brought the contents of the cup out and into Moume's mouth.

"The baby must've just been hungry dear."(Koro)

Koro smirked, making Koume pout. 

...

After they had finished their breakfast, Koume kidnapped  took her baby sister outside to play, leaving Umesou and Koro some alone time. 

"Hey, Koro look what I got."(Umesou)

He opened his palm and came out a necklace, holding a pink diamond. 

"da dan~"(Umesou)

There were small stars in Koro's eyes. Hesitantly her arms reached towards the jewelry. 

"h- how..., this, this is very expensive!"(Koro)

"Been saving for a while, got it straight from the city of romance."(Umesou)

"I- I can't, U- Umesou... I LUV YOUU!!!!"(Koro)

Koro's arms were shaking but she was able to jump into Umesou's arms, pinning him to the ground. She was elated, after all, getting any piece of jewelry from the city of romance is considered the biggest gesture of love a man could do.

She wore the necklace around her neck, the diamond shining brightly and clearer than anything she has seen before. Many say that these diamonds are the few of what remained from the 'Lost Period' in history.

Umesou's face was practically covered with kiss marks.

Yes, he was indeed a lucky man, something not a lot of people can say.

After sometime, Koro was out of Umesou's arm, happily nodding her head. It was about time she get to work.

-----

Koro POV

"dabee da~"(Koro)

Out of the borders of our humble village, I was gathering some herbs. Wiping off the sweat from my head, I put down my basket full of herbs to take a rest. 

I held the present Umesou, gave me, holding tight to my chest. 

I can't believe he really got me one of these. Never have I thought I would see one let alone get one. 

I can't help myself from smiling~!

tat... tat... tat...

Wh- what was that?

I quickly got up, getting ready to run. 

It was not the safest out of the border, although necessary for hunting and gathering, it was still infested with monsters. Thankfully none were anything big or lethal, nonetheless, scavengers and walliopters are still dangerous, especially when they come in groups. 

As the bushes rustled I-

?

A man with dark, raven black hair came out. He looked exhausted with tattered clothes and gashes. 

Was he attacked!? 

Was this the work of a walliopter or something bigger?

That didn't matter now. He collapsed.

"h- hey!"(Koro)

I rushed in, trying to help if I could. 

Happy, late, New Year folks! Maybe every new year I might do a character popularity poll!

Favourite Character so far?
  • Reiko Votes: 14 70.0%
  • Cheryl Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Faye Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Friedrich Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kamoume Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Moume Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Kite Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Umesou Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Koro Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jacket Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Someone else Votes: 1 5.0%
Total voters: 20
8