Chapter 48: The Foolish Old Man
246 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiko POV

"hey, are you okay?"(Kamoume)

A head poked out. 

"Why are you here?"(Guard)

"Because I want to."(Kamoume)

She shoved the guard to he side and trotted to me. 

"Hi!"(Kamoume)

Wearing a big grin she hugged me tightly. 

"Grandpappy told me you'd be here! psst, actually, I'm not supposed to be here, grandpappy really doesn't like you but I just couldn't help."(Kamoume)

She whispered into me ear before releasing me from her hug. Her face lightened up as she reached to the sack on her side, opening it up, a handful of nuts fell out. 

"I thought you'd be hungry so I got these for you."(Kamoume)

"thanks."(Reiko)

Tail swinging side to side, she stared at me while I ate the acorn. 

"Sorry I couldn't cook anything."(Kamoume)

"oh no, this is okay."(Reiko)

I chowed down onto the nut, my belly had been growling, especially since I hadn't eaten anything much in the past couple hours. Finishing half of them, I pushed the rest to the side for Cheryl. 

All while this happened, I felt the unfeeling gaze of the guard peering into my soul. 

"hey reiko, please don't fight grandpa..."(Kamoume)

Hmm? 

Kamoume's gazed shifted downwards. She twiddled her fingers slowly.

"I know he can be scary sometimes but he's really nice too! And and, I know things aren't good with you and him but I still don't want to see you or him get hurt, it's not fun to watch."(Kamoume)

Her voice gave an aura of uncertainty and dejection. A worried voice. 

"I'll try."(Reiko)

Even so, I'm not sure whether I can fulfill her wish. Too much decisions yet no options, I will be forced to choose violence rather peace, I was in the verge of checkmate.

Those words eased her, as the negative emotions were erased and replaced with her usual bubbly character. 

These warmer, comfier moments, sometimes do wash me away in nostalgia, don't they? Seeing her so happy yet at the same time lying to her, can't help but make you feel guilty.

"Oh yeah, grandpappy is coming in soon so I should be going now- uh, uh oh..."(Kamoume)

The door slammed open, and the guard kneeled down to the ground, sweaty with shaky nerves, Kamoume hurriedly scurried away.

Standing there with an overpowering aura, taking a step forward, he slowly made his way. 

At this point Kamoume was gone. Getting down to the ground sitting crossed legged. 

"i- hello!"(Reiko)

"Hello."(Umesou)

Ahhh! His voice could kill a bear! I felt as if I was in trouble with the mafia. 

"Child, you are aware that you have broken a sacred rule of this village."(Umesou)

His presence itself made the atmosphere so thick I couldn't breathe. 

"You should be in the farms or imprisoned by now, but you aren't. I will give you one more chance, you have everything here, food, shelter and even a friend. There will be no more fighting, no more pain or loss, understood?"(Umesou)

His tone was oddly soft, as if he was referring to a lost child. 

Neither of us continued. Silence prevailing, we were at a stand off. Mustering courage I opened my mouth and

"I- no, I can't, no."(Reiko)

"WHY NOT!"(Umesou)

I covered my ears, his loud ringing. His gentle voice completely changed, becoming into a rough, course howl. A deep breath in and out, calming down, he got up.

Disappointed, and vexed he turned his back.  

"n- no wait!"(Reiko)

Clumsily standing up, I grabbed the of his robe, lightly pulling it in the process. He turned his head and looked down on me with distant eyes. 

"I- I'm not from here, let me out! In return I'll-"(Reiko)

Rummaging through the pockets of my cloak, looking everywhere, I soon found it. Taking it out I showed the it to him. 

The pink gem sparkled from the little light there was and at that moment, something sparked in the chief. Lunging aggressively towards me with extended arms. 

"Where did you get that!?"(Umesou)

I backed away, holding the necklace tight as so he couldn't just snatched away. I must play this carefully. 

"this... I found it. And if you want it, please let me go."(Reiko)

Those eyes alone told a million stories. The unrelenting pressure crushed my lungs. Anyone could tell, even me, that he was riling up with emotions. 'I could've played it better' I thought, as the chief step forward, emitting a knife sharp aura. 

Tense muscles and an ugly, wrinkled face. My body instinctively moved back. 

"That, does not belong to you, even more than that how did you find that!?"(Umesou)

He slammed the ground so hard that it made a loud thud and blew some dust and gravel into the air. Hands directed towards me with open claws. 

"you... I can't, you can't...."(Umesou)

Suppressing his emotions, he closed his hand and retreated it back. A sigh leaving his mouth as he relaxed and recomposed himself. I flinched in reaction to him, fear kicking in. His hands were enough to rip me in two if anything Koro said was true.

 After all it returned back to the suspenseful and quiet stand off, except now I have leverage. 

I must play my cards wisely. I can't meaninglessly give this away, I neither knew how he would react to the so called message hidden in this, for all I know it may not even be in there. I am not sure if I can trust yet alone rely on this magically changing his heart or so.

"Young one, that is precious, more than any jewel or gold. I will break an arm, leg to get that back."(Umesou)

"I know, it it's from your wife, Koro isn't it?"(Reiko)

Stupid it may be, but playing to his emotion is key, I would know of course.

"DO NOT SPEAK THAT NAME FROM THAT DIRTY MOUTH!"(Umesou)

Once again he screamed loud enough to startle me. 

"You do not know who she is, you do not have the right to talk. You wish for freedom, I wish you stay.  I will not budge to an insolent child but I can give an offer, the last battle you had, had been interrupted, we return, continue it. With this both you and I can be satisfied."(Umesou)

Something was boiling up in him, a strong will or desire held back. Continuation of the battle, was not something I ever looked forward to, even if I knew it was likely inevitable. The ringing ear, the pulsing veins, my heart pounding and lungs breaking. Last time was a miracle I survived the beat down. 

I am outclassed in every aspect. 

"is there another way?"(Reiko)

"As nature has always been, the strong decides what happens to the weak."(Umesou)

He shot back instantly and with an oppressive roar akin to a head of a lion pride. 

I don't think I can argue, but I can at least turn it somewhat in my favour, sorry Cheryl. 

"alright, but then, at the very least make it a two versus one, with magic allowed."(Reiko)

"Then that's set, I will send someone to tell you when and where, till then keep the necklace safe."(Umesou)

Accepting my request without a second thought as if that request was nothing. Nerve racking, even mustering every bit of courage, I almost broke apart.

At the very least, I was still a little happy I could keep Kamoume's words, if I were to continue the last battle then no doubt I won't be hurting her grandfather. 

As my mind was in chaotic mess, the old man went back to where he came from he stopped.

"how do you know that name?"(Umesou)

A deep dark tone he asked.

"I- because she sent me to tell you to free the village."(Reiko)

"... lies, foolish lies from a foolish child."(Umesou)

Were the last words he said before leaving.

Time's now ticking, although the odds are now more even, still just one hit would be enough to knock me out and two, two... will kill me. Not even knowing when, what can I do? 

I can't say for sure, but starting right now I should get stronger, if not faster. 

It's uncertain for sure, but I'll try. If I am not strong enough to fend for myself, how can I protect Kana. I've been carefree and been acting stupid for a while that I never really considered the true danger of an another world. 

I will try to not to make this mistake again. 

------

Cheryl POV

Waking up, rubbing my forehead, I found myself in an unfamiliar room. Loud murmuring in the background. Where was I, what was I doing again. Even after waking up, I still felt like a lifeless ragdoll. 

Blurry splotches soon came to form, a small white silhouette and a taller, sharper silhouette.

-That's right!

We were being chased and I fainted after getting shot by too much arrows! 

A moment of panic, surrounded by brown walls, another hooded figure off into the near distance, Reiko and the old man were talking to each other. There was no certain of a doubt, we're captured, I failed. D- damnit. 

While distracted ingesting the situation, the old man left, rubbing her forehead with her dirty sleeve, she groaned. 

Twiddling her thumbs, then she grabbed her head. In a crouch, Reiko scratched her head nervously. 

Walking towards her, ignoring the uncomfortable presence of the guard, I gently pat her back. Frozen for a second, quickly twitching her head to face me. 

Feeling relieved, she warmed down into a smile. 

"you're alright."(Reiko)

I indeed was. I felt exhausted but physically there were no wounds. It's strange, I'm dead yet I feel tired and hurt. Never hungry but I feel like I can die at any moment, that ever presence of death, I feel every now and then. 

Am I truly dead, can I become normal?

Being able to do things again. Hunting, attending parties, eating till your belly pops and... the deed, -ahem things I gave up too long ago since that faithful day. 

I don't think it's possible, but I can dream.

Lost in thought, I didn't notice the fact that Reiko had pushed a pile of acorns to me. A sweet child. Giving a warm smile, I picked one up and took a bite. 

It feels good to taste something once a while, although still disappointed I don't feel full. 

"hey Cheryl, there is a little thing that's going to happen, with you and me..."(Reiko)

"hhm? What is it?"(Cheryl)

...

Pardon me, WHAT!?

This child... I can't. One moment she's shy and nervous, next moment she's declaring an execution! 

"Reiko, you know what happened last time no?"(Cheryl)

Perhaps, I can talk her out, I can't make her choose life altering decisions this early in life. If this doesn't work, force may be necessary. 

"y- yes I do, but this is my only real way. I'm not sure if I could get another opportunity like this, and also I can't back down now, it's all set in stone."(Reiko)

This child... hah... little reckless fellow, I should scold her but somehow I can't. Reminds me a little bit of me when I was younger... or right now... 

Reiko was anxious and fearful, anyone can tell that, yet determined to do what it takes. Youth is a magical thing, I wish I too was youthful. What am I now? Twenty-eight, twenty-seven? Yes, I should be knocking on deaths door any moment now. 

Looking down, patting her head. 

I'll help you. 

So I woke up one day and found this novel 2nd place in trending, what.

Thank you for all your support actually, didn't think I would actually end up there.

ps. I'll be making discorb server at either 1000 reader milestone or 4.5 star rating milestone~

7