Chapter 2: Test Results
406 4 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Brian nudged Edwin as they stood before the door. Edwin turned to him with a bright smile. While they were not best friends, they were still friends. Edwin did not have best friends, period.

“How good do you think you did?” Asked Brian.

“I think my diagrams are worthy of a textbook. How did you answer the plague question?” Asked Edwin as Brian shifted from foot to foot.

“The textbook way. Don’t tell me you improvised?” Asked Brian with a raised eyebrow.

“They asked me what I would do. I thought that it will be better not to lie.” Said Edwin, his head held high.

“You are so getting assigned to a village with this attitude. Healing is not just healing, it is diplomacy too,” said Lara Lodoniel, a dwarf foreigner that had come here for the cheaper education.

“And where is your dwarven honor? Lara, your ancestors fought the Brinan wars for a thousand years to be able to be true to themselves,” said Edwin. The Tsardom of Mopia was not elven land because of these wars, even if it had been easier for the handful of dwarves to submit.

The short woman snorted and poked Edwin’s right leg.

“We fought because we don’t bow. They teach the same things in Mopia as here. It is just too bloody expensive, is all,” said Lara. The door to the lecture hall creaked open, and professor Jerkins came out with a sheet of paper.

“Alright, I have to say, good results everyone!” Said the professor and the healers, no longer trainees, cheered as one. “But it was almost like you quoted the textbook on the last question. I deducted points for that. If I didn’t know better, I would have said you all cheated.”

Groans spread, only Edwin held his head high and didn’t protest.

“One of you thought to be original. Edwin, the Head Lector wants to see you. Now,” said the professor.

“But, what is my result?” Asked Edwin. Was he going to the Torklia Regiment? Or to a village, like how Lara said? It wouldn’t be that bad if he was in a village. At least he won’t be sitting without work.

“You made a mistake with how to treat an elf lady without insulting her, although to be truthful, she would have been healthier than with all courtly manners of your colleagues. Your heart diagram is not well proportionate; you have drawn some arteries bigger than the veins.”

The crowd burst out in laughter as Edwin rubbed the back of his head in embarrassment. Well, he at least knew where they were. That was something too, right?

“And then there is your answer to the last question. Wars have been started for less, Edwin. Healing is not just healing, it is diplomacy too,” said professor Jerkins, and she nodded towards the end of the hall. “Go.”

Lara said something beneath her nose that sounded like “told you” as Edwin passed by her. He knew that this was the view on the art, but he refused to bend the need of a living being for a healthy existence because of diplomacy. Or care that it was insulting to see the naked stomach of an elven lady.

With sure steps, he went to the Head Lector’s office and knocked on the door, ready to bombard the chubby elf with his view point. When the door opened, the Head Lector shook his hand and ushered him in.

“Edwin, my boy, you have been here for how many years?” Asked Head Lector Nari Dorrens.

“Two years, wise one. I skipped twelve semesters by taking the exams with your permission,” said Edwin. Surely, professor Nari knew that.

“And I don’t regret it, no I do not. You are one heck of a healer. All your trainee patients have made a full recovery over the years. Even the extra credit Coranchila one,” said professor Nari.

Edwin remembered the Coranchila infected patient all too well. A prisoner on death row, a serial killer that targeted children. But Edwin wanted him to be executed by a headsman instead of to just fall asleep and never wake up. It had been too easy for him, too painless. The children deserved vengeance and justice.

“I have done my best during my time here,” said Edwin with a humble bow of his head. Professor Nari showed him the test with the last answer marked in red.

“But you have to understand, my boy, that you have to have tact as a healer. To say you will sabotage the emperor’s efforts to undermine our country is patriotic, but foolish. Tell me, how many regiments does the Alanqian Empire have. Don’t count their navy.”

“Well, there is the 1st Ardiellan Regiment, mainly cavalry. Furthermore, 6th Pecas Regiment. 5th Millas Regiment. And the 2nd Cacidrino Regiment,” said Edwin. Professor Nari hummed and then held two of his fingers.

“You missed two, but no matter. And how many regiments do we have?” Asked Professor Nari, and Edwin bowed his head.

“Just one, the Torklia. But we have more ships than them, and they are more concentrated and…”

“Edwin, Edwin. Ships don’t win wars. Not when the northern coast of the continent is neighboring icebergs. Six regiments against one. Who would win, I wonder?” Edwin mumbled the answer under his breath. Professor Nari placed a hand next to his ear.

“The Empire will, as it won the last time. But we will never be subjugated,” said Edwin, remembering how the empire hadn’t been able to keep peace in its new borders after the population of Duria had turned to hit-and-run tactics.

“But must we tug the lion’s tail, my boy?” Asked professor Nari with sadness in his voice. “The results of these tests are available for as far as Bisch. You are brilliant, but there is only one answer I am supposed to give to something like this. An answer that our King would demand.”

“You will assign me to a village?” Asked Edwin, hopefully.

“You will hand over your temporary healing permit, and you will vacate the academy. Furthermore, your status now is as second class citizen. I had to pull numerous strings to not see you as an exile. It will be hard, finding work and putting a roof over your head with your current status, but you still have your freedom. Just between you and me, the Kingdom of Brutarkia is looking for healers for its navy. They hate the Alanqian Empire, as you well know, and will issue you a permit without much fuss, I am certain. You failed your exam, Edwin Roberts.”

Edwin stood as if smacked with a wet towel. He opened his mouth, but the look of pity on his favorite professor was too much to bear. He bowed and exited the office and headed to the dorms to pack his things.

21