Chapter 20: Knife throwing and  sticky fingers
181 3 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Meanwhile, inside the carriage, Hadrian was showing Ben and Rael how to juggle with a dagger. Just one, and holstered, but both boys were having serious difficulties.

“Keep your elbows at your hips, kiddos. No cheating. Throw it by calculating where the blade will fall. You don’t want the blade to scrap your fingers,” said Hadrian as he watched Ben raise his one hand to catch the dagger.

“Harry, shouldn’t we be doing this with sticks? Or balls?” Asked Rael, who had just dropped his dagger trying to follow Hadrian’s instructions.

“Where is the fun in that? Will you throw sticks at a rampaging orc? Or balls at a giant? Tough it up now and when sword training comes along you will have an easier time,” said Hadrian. Then he took out a dagger and proceeded to juggle.

“See, it is all in the throwing speed and the grip,” said Hadrian as the two stared at him in awe.

“Will Lucy learn how to fight too?” Asked Ben.

“Well, what for? He has you two. Eddy can’t fight his way out of a bag, what with his slow reflexes, but he has me, and so he doesn’t have to,” said Hadrian.

Ben laid down the dagger on his lap and looked at Hadrian, hopefully.

“Will we go dungeon delving, Harry? Like real adventurers? There is a dungeon in the Surian Theocracy. The Asylum of Blood.”

“Yes, when are we getting there? We will need a lot of water, it being in the desert,” said Rael.

Hadrian chuckled. The Asylum of Blood was long cleared of treasure, courtesy of him. Now, there were only snakes and flowers there. It would be a good training ground for the three. Most of the snakes weren’t poisonous, and for those that were, he was sure that Eddy would be able to fix up the kiddies quickly enough.

“I will place you in a series of three tests, all three of you. A test of teamwork, a test of skill and a test of perception. Once you pass it, we will head there. Well, after Eddy is done healing up people in Myrna. He was heading there since he got kicked out of the academy,” said Hadrian. They would not pass the test in less than a year’s time, but their hope would drive them forward.

“That is great, Harry! We will see the desert, and we will hunt for lizards and go down in the history of the Surian Theocracy as the youngest that have conquered the Asylum of Blood!” Said Ben, arm pumped high with the sheathed dagger clutched in his grip.

“Well, those are the tests I will put you through. I don’t know about Eddy. He might want to train Lucy to his level and that will take years…” Said Hadrian, and he watched the indignation in the two rise.

“Harry, you have to ask Eddy to let us go when we pass the tests! It won’t be fair any other way,” said Rael as he stamped his feet.

“Hm, Ben, manage to steal something from me in this very carriage. Rael, give the dagger one thousand swings. Do this and I will convince your father.”

Hadrian liked to refer to Edwin as the boys’ father, as he had adopted them. The boys smiled brightly at the idea that they had a parent each time, and Hadrian thought it is a win to bring it up as often as possible.

Rael began to swing the dagger, and Hadrian stood and corrected his grip. Ben’s hand flew towards his pocket, and Hadrian managed to catch it before it even got close.

“Pockets are too obvious, kiddo. I have other things you can steal. Less guarded, too,” said Hadrian with a lopsided smile.

“As expected from a rouge with both his hands,” said Ben, awe in his voice. Hadrian made an elaborate bow and got back in his seat.

Ben scanned the carriage. There were things in snatching distance, but they were not Hadrian’s. Edwin’s cloak and blanket were there. Their bags. And a pillow. Wait, the pillow was something Hadrian had bought!

Ben, sent a look to Rael and then another towards Hadrian. Rael blinked, their code for message understood, and spoke.

“Harry, how do I prevent my hand from getting tired?” Asked Rael as he pretended to have difficulties swinging the blade.

“You can’t, kiddo. You can, however, build up endurance to the point where you will no longer get tired so easily. That said, you have a long way to go,” said Hadrian as he watched Ben edge towards their baggage. He pretended not to see it and continued speaking.

“Once you start swinging swords and bashing things with a shield, you will get tired a lot. I will start you on wood. Once we get to Myrna, I will get you practice equipment and padding. But be warned, just because you are adorable, I won’t take it easy on you.”

“I am not adorable!” Protested Rael, outraged. He turned to his brother, whose hand was centimeters away from the pillow. “Right, Ben?”

“Ben, hands off my pillow. And just so you know, your looks were a bit obvious. Lesson number one: if you are going to collaborate, do so with someone from your class,” said Hadrian, and Ben plopped down on his seat.

But Ben was not giving up. He scanned the carriage for anything he could snatch. Then he stared down at the dagger next to him. It was technically Hadrian’s, right? He snatched it and waved it before the vampire.

“Done. The dagger is yours, thereby I stole it from you,” said Ben with a smirk.

“And now the dagger is yours, since you stole it fair and square. The next thing you steal will have to be something that I would actually want to keep. That was the last easy test you will ever do.”

Then Hadrian relaxed back in his seat to the sound of a dagger swinging. He felt a hand next to his leg and snatched it, but clasped inside was his spare thin blade. He smiled. The kids will learn.

16