Chapter 46: Leaving Myrna
73 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 “Did you hear? They are both dead!”

“Ah, there are riots in Mopia. Now that they don’t have a Boliarin…”

“That Roberts! Not only did he let our most esteemed Karl Lambert face off against the wretch alone, but…”

“Ah, yes, the barrier. I saw it. My great-great aunt was there. I speak the truth!”

Edwin let the idle chapter pass by him as he drove the carriage. Luciano was inside this time. He felt like the child shouldn’t be subjected to glares so early in the morning. Or at all.

People send him dirty looks. The mayor had made an announcement that he was living and that his actions had been sanctioned by the crown. But now the relatives of these people were going to forever remain a part of a barrier. No one was happy about this, not even Edwin.

He had tried to untangle the spirits, but found he was unable to do it. Now, with both Lambert and the Stormcrow out of the picture, there was no one that could teach him.

His eyes traveled to his bag that was strapped on the passenger seat. Karl’s grimoire was there. He had not opened it since it was given to him. Maybe, after they had crossed the border, he would find the time.

But he was not going to make a phylactery or eat body parts. He had meant it when he told Hadrian that death was the natural ending of life. The vampire and Daniel would take care of the children, if something happened to Edwin.

The warrior had made himself heard about the barrier. He had been rather vocal about the rights of the dearly departed. Hadrian had told him a tale of a necromancer duel from about two thousand years ago. Of the failed crops and dead livestock. That had shut Daniel up.

All six of them were cramped inside the carriage and Edwin, who had fallen asleep last night, had agreed to drive. Daniel too could have driven, but his skin was freshly cooled, and he complained that the cold air outside made it hurt.

And so, Edwin braved the dirty looks of the people whom he had indirectly healed. But, it did not matter to him one bit. This was a hedge healer’s lot and, until he finished the textbook with the stolen knowledge of the Hafnon’s, he would endure it.

They reached the gates and were stopped. Edwin handed their combined stack of papers to the guards. It would be a day of travel from this gate to the border, and then it will be to…

For once in his life, he didn’t have a direction. Something told him to keep to the border and go to the desert. Go west and hide out in the dunes. The children will get tanned, Harry would manage, somehow, and Daniel would be just fine. Provided that he went covered from head to toe.

And, wasn’t there a dungeon in need of leveling to the ground there? One cleaned by Hadrian already, but with an intact dungeon core that could regenerate all of its hurdles?

Dungeons were strange when it came to mana. They took the bad mana of the world and cleansed it. But they were death traps. Yes, Edwin could see himself going from a place to place and destroying dungeons, healing people along the way.

The guard gave him back the papers and then a heavy package. Edwin took it, confused. He opened it and found still warm muffins inside.

“When my wife saw the barrier, she started making them. I wanted to go search for you in the cemetery, but she didn’t let me. Let the Boliarin do his job, she said as she swatted me on the arm. The kids got to them, though, so there are a few missing,” the guard rubbed the back of his head sheepishly and Edwin grinned back.

“Thank your kind wife, guardsman,” said Edwin. It was good to know that at least one person appreciated him in Myrna. Then he spurred the horses on, and he continued on the journey towards the customs office.

Night fell just as he reached the border. Two guards approached the carriage and peered within.

“Quite the traveling companions you have, sir,” said the guard as he watched inside as two grown men and four boys were huddled together and sleeping.

“Here are my papers,” said Edwin, and he handed the same stack of papers as before.

“It won’t be necessary. You are Edwin Roberts, first Boliarin, are you not?” Edwin frowned. He was second Boliarin, not first.

“I am Edwin Roberts, but…”

“He doesn’t know he has been promoted, Ern. Rumors have it that the Alanqian Empire didn’t put up a ghost barrier like you, and now they are decimated. Well, their northern coast is. The king promoted you just this morning, and he sent missives to all border patrols to let you through without checking your papers. And here, sir. Your healer’s license.”

Well, Edwin had not expected this. King Valyr was not making him uphold his end of the bargain before upholding his own. This was strange and certainly not how the king acted.

“Thank you.”

“And one more thing, Boliarin. I saw my grandmother in the ghost barrier. Why is she still up in the air?” There was anger in the man’s voice now. With how close the border was to Myrna, Edwin should have expected for people working in the customs’ office to be from the city.

“To tell you the truth, I have no idea how to take off the barrier. But maybe it is for the best. If the shores of the Alanqian Empire are plagued with residue necromancer mana, there might still be a need for a barrier,” said Edwin, staring the man in his eyes.

“I suppose you did your best,” the man was disgruntled, but he let go of the carriage. “Save travels, Boliarin. And come back soon, ok? Whoever gets picked as second Boliarin would need your help.”

Edwin nodded and he drove off. He doubted that his help will be wanted from whoever took his old position, but the news that Alanqian was suffering worried him. Now that Karl Lambert was no longer there to protect them, dark days were coming for Duria. He supposed the same held true for the Tsardom of Mopia as well. What a strange world they lived in.

5