Chapter 59: Liquid rabbit fodder
58 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Daniel looked at the banana with water mixture and gulped. This was to be his lunch. For breakfast, he had toast with jam, but it felt too little now that he was faced with such a meager lunch.

“It is good, Dany,” said Luciano next to him. The little traitor had turkey with grilled squash for lunch. What did he know?

“Yummy!” Screamed Elidys. Daniel’s eyes softened at the boy. Then he looked at the now clean Edwin, who was eating his pig blood with beer sludge without batting an eye.

Daniel wondered what the two were going to do now that Edwin couldn’t feed Hadrian? Or could he still?

“Hey, what are you going to do with Harry now that your fangs are just as pointy, red eyes?” Daniel wanted to distract himself from the rabbit fodder in any way he could, and this question was as good as a distraction as any.

“Blood is blood. I don’t see why can't I eat pig blood, and he can’t drink from me. There won’t be a problem, right, Harry?” Hadrian perked up at that. He seemed hesitant after a moment, but then he nodded slowly.

“It is usually not done, but I don’t see why not. Eddy, do I have to eat this now?” Whined the vampire. Edwin just offered his wrist without looking up. Daniel was surprised how this was such a normal occurrence in the house.

“Don’t make boo-boo!” Screamed Elidys when Hadrian bend over and took Edwin’s wrist.

“I need to feed, Eli,” Hadrian was not sure that he was going to be able to reason with the toddler, but the raven-haired boy tilted his head to the side and seemed to be thinking it over.

“It doesn’t hurt, Eli,” Edwin added when the boy seemed to be just staring at them. “No boo-boo.”

Edwin showed his wrist at the boy. There were no marks. Daniel supposed that before, when Edwin was human, that had not been so. But necromancers could heal vampires just fine. So, it went without saying that Edwin closed his wounds.

Could he have done the same when he was alive? And if he could have, why hadn’t he? Maybe he wanted to avoid worrying the children anymore? And why was he so calm every time Hadrian bit him?

“What do you feel when he bites you?” Daniel voiced one of the questions which slam in his head.

“It is like a mosquito bite at first and then numbness. What do you feel?” Edwin placed his wrist below Hadrian’s mouth, and the vampire bit down without further prompting.

“Heat, it is almost unbearable. And on the neck is even worse,” Daniel remembered the last time he had been stranded with Hadrian and the vampire hadn’t the foresight to stock up on blood.

 His wrists had been recovering from dragon fire, and so his neck had been the only option. He had regraded his generosity within seconds. But had soldiered through. Harry needed blood to survive, and Daniel would be damned if he let his friend die because of some pain.

“Well, that is interesting,” Daniel recognized that voice. It was Edwin’s healer voice. He groaned internally. “I think this has something to do with different mana types. Hadrian and I have class O mana, so, when he bites me and some of his mana gets injected in me through his fangs and saliva, my mana doesn’t think it's an intruder.”

Well, that made sense. Daniel was class AC. There were about one hundred mana types existing, and every day new ones were being found. And then the people who found them were visited by cleaners. Mana research was illegal in the entire world, bar the Tsardom of Mopia.

“Drink your liquid rabbit fodder,” commanded Edwin with a smirk. Then he tapped Hadrian on the shoulder. “Aren’t you done yet? You don’t take this much usually.”

Hadrian let go of Edwin’s wrist reluctantly and gulped one last mouthful of blood before getting his fangs out.

“Your blood is even tastier now. I think I drank two liters, sorry.” Edwin didn’t mind. He didn’t even feel lightheaded.

“No problem. I think I am more resilient now,” mana enveloped his wrist and the two bite marks closed together. Luciano looked at that with interest.

“How do you do that?” Asked the blonde healer to be.

“Simple, you use mana to restore the lost tissue. Mana is a natural disinfectant too, so you don’t even have to clean your wound if it is something like a bite. Still, it is a good practice to…”

Daniel turned off the healer speech and took his rabbit fodder. He took a sip. He could recognize banana and ginger. It was pleasant and reminded him of the Yule celebrations at home.

How was his sister, the only person left of his family? She lived around these parts, in the Theocracy. Maybe he could go see her? Take Harry and the children and fill her home with laughter? Harry was always good for a laugh.

Edwin would go destroy a dungeon. Place a big fat target on himself and scream from a tombstone that he was going to uproot the ways of the world. Which was good. The liver transplant denial, such a sparse letter for such a big issue, still burned in Daniel’s mind.

“How do you like it?” Daniel turned to look at Edwin, who was still eating the sludge. He wasn’t picky about foods and wouldn’t probably drink human blood if he could help it, Daniel knew.

“It reminds me of Yule. Harry, do you want to go visit my sister, Marisa? With the children, of course,” Hadrian perked up at this. Marisa always stocked up on necromancer blood for Hadrian. Which, considering he now had Edwin, shouldn’t have exited him anymore, but it was the thought that counts.

“Sure, Eddy, we will send you a letter with a meet up spot in a month. She lives by the seaside. In a resort town. The children will love it,” Hadrian’s smile number six, also named the dimples of doom, was enough to infect Edwin into turning his lips up in a smile.

“Sure, the sea air will be good for them. But make them smoothies, ok? It is good for the liver and if the liver doesn’t work…”

Daniel tuned out the healer speech again. It was good that the children too were going to eat rabbit fodder. If he had been the only one to do so, he might have grown bitter.

5