Chapter 60: The mystery of Sebastian Black
60 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 Ben was at the library, which was strange for him, as he normally only read when someone made him. But today he was here. He knew that someone called Sebastian Black had attacked Eddy. And no one knew who that man was.

So, Ben had gone off by himself, after leaving a note with Rael and Luciano. He couldn’t fight still, but he could do some research to make it easier for Edwin to find who this Sebastian fellow was.

The boy went up to the receptionist and placed his library permit on the counter. Edwin had one made for him back in Myrna too, but Ben didn’t use it. People gawked at his missing hand, and he disliked being in public places.

“As you are below the age of eighteen, the ten sections to the left are not allowed for you,” droned on the receptionist, a young man with brown hair and brown eyes. He seemed bored.

“I’d like some help. I am searching for a certain necromancer. Sebastian Black, have you heard of him?” The receptionist graced him with a bored look, then sighed.

“Necromancers and the undead are in the restricted sections,” Ben resisted the urge to groan. Of course, they were. “But if you get permission from an adult to check a book out, I can bend the rules.”

Ben decided he had been too hard on the receptionist. The man wanted something interesting to happen, it was obvious. Maybe he was a fun guy, when not on duty?

“Would any adult do?” Ben’s hopes were that the receptionist would sign him the permit. And the receptionist knew it.

“It can’t be me. I work here. There are people around that won’t pay attention to what they are signing. There is this old mage in section two, the one on earth magic, that looks like he could stay the night here if I don’t kick him out.”

Ben nodded and went searching for the mage. He had a pen and paper with him, so the only thing he needed was for the mage to take responsibility for whatever is it Ben was going to find.

He found the man, wearing a tattered rob and a chewed-up hat that hid his gray hair and most of his face, giggling at a book. Ben decided not to judge him. After all, mages were an extravagant lot. Just look at Thorold Hafnon.

“Excuse me? Can I get an autograph?” Ben figured he could always doctor the note itself. What he did need was a genuine signature.

“An autograph? I am not famous…” The mage looked up from his book. Ben peered and saw a picture of a naked woman there. This was a pervert!

“I will tell the receptionist that you are looking at naked women in public if you don’t give me your signature!” Ben’s voice was just loud enough for it to be threatening. The mage began to sweat.

“Good boy, you won’t give away old Jorg, would you? It is just that the library is such a nice place to stay during the winter. I am not harming anyone,” Ben felt bad after this. His eyes softened, and he bowed his head in shame.

“Sorry…”

“Ah, got you!” The mage burst out laughing. Then he flipped the page of his book and a strange diagram appeared. “This is no simple book. It shows me what I want to know. Really delightful when I need to trade information for coin. The library doesn’t even know it has it.”

“So, you come in here every day and ask the book for things to sell?” Ben had never heard anything as absurd. “Then why are you…?”

“So shabby?” The mage didn’t sound insulted, even though Ben had been afraid he had insulted him. “I get enough information to keep myself fed and spend my time here, where it is pleasant and warm and lit. The nights I go back home. With this arrangement, I pay only half of my heating bill.”

“If this book is the property of the library, can I use it too?” If it was as simple as thinking of what he wanted, then he had his job cut out for him.

“I already checked it out. You need to pay me one gold coin to use it. And before you ask, I always check it out,” the mage gave him an impish grin and Ben began to rummage in his pocket for money. He pulled out fifty silver and seventy-three copper coins. He looked at the mage pleadingly.

“I don’t have more,” the mage seemed to be thinking it over, but eventually, he extended his hand for the money. Ben handed them over and received the book.

“Information on Sebastian Black,” whispered Ben and the book opened itself to show a picture of a handsome red haired, red-eyed vampire with a smirk on his face. So, a sire killer. Just like Eddy.

Sebastian Black

Class: necromancer;

Species: vampire, former elf;

Mana type: O;

Blood type: AB;

Sebastian Black, also known as the plague master, calamity of an age and the dragon rider, has a confirmed kill count of fifteen million humans, elves, orcs, and demons.

Ben paled at that. Someone like that could have killed Edwin as easily as breathing. So, he was just toying with Edwin. Which meant he would come back. But would Edwin survive the second encounter?

The sire of Sebastian Black is Regina Black, his mother. He drank her dry and is a known killer of vampires. Most of his victims are collateral while he hunted one vampire or another.

Was he truly after Edwin? Or was Hadrian the target? Ben quickly began to copy the information.

Meanwhile, the receptionist smiled. Wandermere was such a boring town. But then a sire killer had walked into his trap.

He’d wear this face for a couple more months, and then he would invite the Boliarin to another play date. Those were always fun to mess with. Now, what does he do about that old man who used his artifact without proper permission?

5