Chapter 63: The clinic
49 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 When the testing of the fruits came back, Edwin had felt a gut-wrenching feeling. Someone had tried to poison his children. A fellow necromancer, the fruits were soaked with the poisonous mana. It was somewhat dulled and would make one have black plague like symptoms.

People with such symptoms got the cleaners called on them. There was a vaccine, but anti-vaxxers were not given any leeway. You either got the vaccine or you got killed. There was no middle ground.

“What types of vaccinations did you three have?” Edwin’s voice was wavering and he was shaking. What if the proximity to the mana was the only thing needed? Would he lose his children again?

“Almost everything, bar chickenpox and polio,” said Ben. Edwin began picking up coats and hats and handing them to the children.

“We are going to the clinic now. And I am getting you tested for allergies. I should have done so when I adopted you all, but…”

“Relax, Eddy,” Ben tried to smile, but it wasn’t reaching his eyes. He, too, was worried about this Sebastian fellow. He had killed millions. What were four more children and three adults?

“No. We are going, and you are getting every medical treatment that was denied to you over the years. You know what? You are also going to a nutritionist and getting a mental health evaluation and…”

Daniel shook his head. The healer was in full panic mode. He cleared his throat and Edwin turned to him.

“I can take them, and you can go make a shadow. Maybe two? One to guard the children while they are out and about. One for to destroy the dungeon,” Edwin began to nod frantically. Daniel picked up his coat, deciding it was too cold for a cloak, and put it on.

“I’d come, but…” came from Hadrian. Daniel snorted.

“A roasted vampire is the last thing we need. By the way, Edwin, how do you keep a cool head?” The newly made vampire didn’t come back with burns. Which could be attributed to his sire killer status. But there had to be more than that.

“I eat soul saturated soil,” there was slight regret in Edwin’s face. But not enough to suggest that he’d stop.

“Well, you already offed your sire. What is a sin to stain your soul to that?” Came the not amused question from Daniel. Now, Polites might have deserved it. He didn’t see Edwin as the one to pick the fight. But a murder was a murder. And Polites had been a thinking being. Not like the nasty dragons that Daniel killed normally.

“Yes, well, it makes my mana more potent,” defended himself Edwin. Hadrian chose this moment to interject.

“And soon, if you keep this up, it will be so potent that it will poison even vampires,” the, and you won’t be able to feed me remained unspoken between them. Edwin’s eyes softened.

“I’ll use it only in emergency and do detoxification regularly,” even if it was a painful process, injecting a different mana type into one’s stream did a wonderful job of cleansing the mana pathways. For Hadrian, he’d go the distance.

“So, you stay here. I’ll take the kids to get vaccinated and come nightfall you and Harry will go to the cemetery. No buts!” Snapped Daniel when Edwin tried to protest. “Detox is painful, and you will need more time to recover. I think I’ve heard you lecture Harry enough times on the non-existing healing properties of a vampire’s organism to know you will be in pain for a long time.”

Edwin bowed his head and then Luciano rushed to hug him. That prompted the rest of his boys to do the same. He smiled and patted their backs. It was worth to keep a stable mana for the children’s sake.

“Come on, pipsqueaks. Time to see licensed healers!” Daniel’s call received groans, but the boys got in a line, two by two, with Luciano and Rael holding each other’s hands and Ben holding on to Elidys. Daniel blinked. They looked like baby ducklings. He opened the door and the ducklings followed him out.

They made it in time to the clinic for the end of the lunch break for the healers. Four long forms later, and Daniel was sat on a steel chair with all four arrayed around him and sending the surrounding sterile environment concerned looks.

They were in the children sector, so the walls were painted beige with pictures of various animals on them. There was a cow and a tiger playing together. Daniel wondered what these healers were trying to teach the children.

“Dany, Eli not want boo-boo,” whispered the toddler. Daniel ran a hand over his soft raven looks. In the sea of blondes that were the three other boys, Elidys stood out a lot. But his coloring was the norm for the Surian Theocracy, even if his skin was a shade paler than what was seen here.

“Be brave, Elidys,” said Ben gravely. Daniel snorted. Were they afraid of a needle?

“Do you gremlins want, a story? To show you, there are scarier things than a needle?” Daniel had just the story in mind. About a witch that ate children in the woods. Ben shook his head.

“I’d like to sleep tonight. Your stories are too graphic,” came from Ben, and Luciano and Rael nodded their heads in sync.

“Mister Hollow? It is young Ben’s turn. Furthermore, we have a dentist free that has agreed to make time for the children,” said a nurse. The four all paled.

“Eli not wants!” Screamed Elidys. It appears that he too knew what a dentist was. Daniel got a sadistic glee that he hoped that wouldn’t show on his face.

“Come now, Eli, don’t show weakness,” said Ben. “And a dentist is more afraid of you than you are of them.”

“Oh, I don’t know about that,” supplied the nurse. “Doctor Forgo goes on hunting trips in the jungles and has even wrestled with an anaconda to save a baby goat.”

“We are doomed,” said Rael. He knew better than to beg. If the only thing that survived this trip was his pride, then so be it.

“I have a loose tooth,” Luciano already dreaded having it pulled out.

5