Chapter 74: Getting lost
49 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They had walked for hours in the cold desert, the biting wind dodging their steps. And now they were back here, at the place they spend the night.

“Seb, I think we have a problem,” Edwin looked around and let his shadow show up. “I have no idea where we are.”

“No idea either, Eddy,” Sebastian shrugged and looked at the horizon. The sun was dipping down. “I say we camp here and send the shadows in the directions that we haven’t tried yet. If they find a mountain range, we can follow it to Alanqian.”

“But, we are not attempting to get there, Seb,” disagreed Edwin. “The idea with the shadows is doable, but if something finds us here without them, we will be sitting ducks.”

“Not true. I can fight,” Sebastian pulled out a dagger from his holster and cocked an eyebrow. “Don’t tell me you can’t?”

“Well, Harry tried teaching me, but I made less progress with this whole rogue business than he did with healing,” Edwin was proud of the progress Hadrian had made. He had taken to stitching, and now he could sew a wound closed, just like Edwin. That, and some basic mana manipulation, had seen Hadrian at the level of your average hedge healer.

“We have to remedy that,” Sebastian went in a fighting stance and made the come-on sign at Edwin.

“I don’t think now is the best time…” Sebastian lunged at Edwin with unreadable eyes, and both the shadows quickly intercepted him before he managed to reach his target.

He dodged, weaved between them and even cut off their fingers, for all that was worth. When the shadow that looked like Sebastian placed a clawed hand on his throat, the vampire stopped fighting.

“Eddy, how will you learn if you relay on the undead all the time?” Edwin saw the sense in these words, but he had panicked. Sebastian had been the enemy not a week ago, and now their friendship was on thin supports.

“I’d rather Harry teach me,” Edwin was backing away. Sebastian had stopped, but there was no telling when he would lunge again.

“And what am I? Chopped liver? I will pull my punches, Eddy, I swear on my life,” Sebastian send him a grin as he kicked the shadow’s legs from underneath it and, in just three large steps, he was at Edwin’s side.

His dagger was met by Edwin’s, and the healer did his best not to topple over at the force of the impact.

“What happened to pulling your punches?” Snapped Edwin as he began to meet the blows of the dagger with great difficulty.

“Well, I might have lied,” chuckled Sebastian, and he did an upper cut at Edwin that nearly took off his eye. That seemed to snap the healer into further action because the shadows were now actively engaging Sebastian again.

With a devilish grin, Sebastian sent a kick at Edwin’s midsection, which forced him on the ground, and then he pumped necromantic mana in his hands and touched each of the shadows.

They wailed and endeavored to get away, but then, with a twirl, Sebastian beheaded them both. There was something unnerving about beheading his ghostly double, but the red head didn’t dwell on it.

With glinting eyes, he let himself fall on top of Edwin and pressed the dagger at his throat as the man panted for breath after it being knocked out of him twice in a roll.

“Dead,” Sebastian was grinning from ear to ear. So, it wasn’t so much Edwin who had bested him, but rather Hadrian. It was irksome to know that he now had to train up Edwin, so he would not embarrass him in the future.

“Eddy, you are a vampire. And we are all either rogues, like myself and your precious Harry, or warriors. You are an oddity, just like you were when you were just a necromancer. And the nail that sticks out gets hammered harder,” that had been a lesson that Sebastian had figured out when he was young.

Elves didn’t like necromancers. But that was the thing about the summoners of the undead. They were born that way. Sure, a necromancer could become a water mage, or, in Edwin’s case, a healer. But there was a price.

Any normal water mage would have solved the drought for a century. Sebastian’s attempt had lasted a month.

“Ok, I get it. I’ll send the shadows away, and then you can toss me around like a rag doll,” whizzed Edwin as he attempted to stand up. But he couldn’t, as Sebastian was pinning him to the ground.

“Care for a snack, my rag doll?” Sebastian couldn’t help but be cheeky now. This was some quality entertainment right there. “Tell you what. If, by some miracle, you manage to nick me with your dull blade, then I will let you drink from my neck.”

“My dagger is not dull!” Edwin protested as he mulled over the offer. He had no idea what this bond entailed. But he was certain that he could control Sebastian to an extent. And, when one deals with someone as strong as the red head, that was a godsend.

“My offer is not forever. But, if I win again, I’ll be drinking from your blood, kiddo,” Edwin laid on the sand so that there was more distance between his throat and the dagger. Could he take the gamble? Should he?

Probably not. But this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. And what was the worst thing that Sebastian would make him do if he lost, anyway? His brain supplied that this was the man who sent a wraith to bury him alive, so the worst thing could be the absolute most vile one. And yet…

“You are on!” Edwin spoke, his voice unwavering. He hoped he looked braver than he felt because, if not, then Sebastian was going to mock him some more.

Sebastian responded with a smile and then hopped off he like he weighted nothing. Edwin made to stand up, but then a leg tripped him, and he was back down. Oh, that bastard.

3