Chapter 75: The gamble
53 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 Edwin was struggling to keep up at the flurry of movement with which Sebastian was assaulting him. After he had fallen, he had pumped necromantic mana in his feet and kicked at the vampire, which had made him stagger.

But, before Edwin could celebrate, Sebastian had gotten his footing under control and had kicked Edwin between the ribs. Or attempted to, at least, for Edwin managed to grab his foot at the last minute and to pump it with enough necromantic mana to make the red head scream.

Then Sebastian had chuckled and backed away. That had allowed Edwin to finally get up from the cold sand and to run up to Sebastian, which turned out to be a mistake.

Now he was endeavoring to meet the man blow for blow and to try and at least nick him. For that had been their agreement. But Sebastian was not pulling his punches and he, quite literary, was setting out to punch his throat with his free hand every so often.

Which would have hurt like a bitch, Edwin knew. And would have knocked him out and might even have killed him. And that begged the question, was Sebastian attempting to kill him now? Or, if he was, why?

His fellow sire killer’s words from the sand hole came back to him and Edwin backed away. Sebastian was twisted. He wanted the one who got away to never be able to do so again. And Edwin had gone with him on a road trip.

“What is the matter, Eddy? We are having so much fun, are we not?” Sebastian made no movements to go towards Edwin, rather, he was waiting for him to set out to charge again.

“What are you going to do after you force the contract on me?” Edwin scanned the area for anything dead from which he could create a shadow, but found nothing.

“After? I am being fair to you, Eddy. You have a chance to win,” Sebastian reached out a hand at the battered Edwin, and the healer made a step back.

“Do I? You downplayed your abilities…”

“Edwin Roberts!” Sebastian’s voice boomed around them, and Edwin got in a half-crouch so that his legs wouldn’t be as easily kicked from beneath him. “I did no such thing! If you want to forfeit, then, fine. But don’t lie that you didn’t want to control me!”

Edwin could understand Sebastian’s anger. But he stood behind his words. The vampire hadn’t resisted against Hadrian. Hadn’t done any of these twirls and faints and what have you that he did now. It was almost like he had wanted to get caught.

“Why didn’t you attempt to fight against Hadrian?” Sebastian cocked his head to the side and placed a finger under his chin, appearing as if he was deep in thought.

“It would have been suicide,” he answered finally. He appeared like he wanted to avoid admitting it, but here he was, doing just that.

“So, if Hadrian hadn’t come when he did…” The realization came down on Edwin. He was on borrowed time. Gripping the dagger even more, he began to circle Sebastian.

“You didn’t send any word to the council, did you?” At least Sebastian was giving him a chance to fight back. That was comforting, at least.

“The council does terrible things to liars. But I didn’t lie about the bond thing. I will go up against them, if you prove worthy,” Edwin felt like he had bile raising his throat. This man, no, this bastard, had walked him into a trap. There was just the vast desert around them, and the sand will slow any attempt at running.

“I have no intention of dying,” snapped Edwin as he bit into his arm. Sebastian watched him with interest. There was one thing that, if Sebastian truly couldn’t summon shadows, he could do that Sebastian couldn’t.

Of course, Sebastian could have lied. In which case, this was all for nothing, and he will be left without a third of his soul and become a wraith and… No! He couldn’t think like that. Now, the spell was all that mattered.

But, Sebastian was not going to just stay and let him complete it. He threw the dagger at Edwin with such precision that it would have lodged into the healer’s right eye if he hadn’t raised his bleeding hand to block it.

Pain exploded from Edwin’s appendage as he kept chanting in his mind. Just a bit more now. He needed to make Sebastian talk and waste time again.

“Why didn’t you kill me in the sand storm? You could have left me out in the wind,” just one more minute. Sebastian was walking towards him in a leisurely manner as if he was taking a walk in a park. So certain he would win.

“You got away. The first time I let you. The second time you were not there. And the third you had help. Then, you had the gall to throw cold water at me, Eddy,” Sebastian practically spat the last part.

Edwin had felt so strong back then. Now, he understood his folly. But soon, Sebastian would understand him. Sebastian gripped the dagger that was still in Edwin’s hand and yanked it out. That surprised Edwin. He had expected for the man to twist it.

“For all it is worth, I found your company pleasing. And you have a nice family. I will tell them that the council didn’t buy the story and protect them in your stead,” Sebastian pressed the dagger to Edwin’s neck, a trickle of blood dripping down from the light touch.

“Thank you,” Sebastian nodded at those words, misunderstanding them. “But I will protect them myself.”

And the lightning struck Sebastian Black. He fell down as his body began to spasm. So, this was what Edwin was doing. A silent incantation. The healer was more skilled than Sebastian gave him credit for.

“Now, you brought it on yourself,” Edwin bend down and bitt Sebastian’s neck.

I did, Eddy. And Sebastian welcomed the numbness that came with similar mana types. Thank Harika for small mercies. Now, he really got away. Despite his predicament and the forced servitude, he was entering, Sebastian was grinning. I will reshape you, yet, Eddy.

3