Chapter 95: Camping before Wandermere, part 1
40 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They reached Wandermere during the day and so had to remain in the carriages, for they have switched the sleds for them when they exited the desert. Harry took the chance for some long overdue cuddling with Edwin and the children. They were one big pile, all six sleeping peacefully.

When night came, the guide knocked on their door and Edwin was the first to stir.

“We are there, my lord,” Edwin had corrected the guide that he was not a lord many times. To which the man had retorted more than once that all Boliarins were lords, especially ones that were in the line of succession for a country.

Edwin didn’t know how the guide knew that, but then a look at a guilty Harry had told him all he needed to know. I am proud of you. Harry had told him with a lopsided smile, and Edwin had melted, all agitation forgotten.

“Thank you, Eric. I’ll wake up my sleeping bugs,” he heard a chuckle from outside, and then he gently shook Harry. Edwin felt the surrounding arms tighten and heard Harry mumbling something before planting a sloppy kiss on his neck.

Blushing, Edwin shook him harder.

“Ok, I’m up,” Hadrian yawned and nuzzled Edwin’s neck before straightening up in his seat. “Good evening, lovely. Your curls look adorable all ruffled like that.”

Edwin’s blush deepened and he cleared his throat.

“Help me wake the children, flatterer,” Hadrian chuckled, but he began to gently shake Luciano, who was on his lap.

“It is not flattery if it is true,” retorted Hadrian and, when Luciano opened his eyes, smiled at the dreamy look that the blonde child had on his face.

“What time is it?” Asked the boy. Both adults shared a look and Edwin took off his watch and checked.

“Ten pm. It seems we will become nocturnal again,” which was not good for the children, Edwin had to admit. But, it would be better if they weren’t deprived of Harry’s company. Or even Daniel’s, for all that Edwin disliked him.

“Five more minutes, mama,” Luciano promptly closed his eyes as Hadrian began chuckling.

“My dear wife…” he began teasingly and Edwin scoffed at him.

“Finish that sentence, and you will be sleeping in the sun tomorrow,” promised him Edwin. Hadrian faked being hurt at that, a hand over his heart.

“No cuddles? What sort of creature did I fall in love with?” Edwin shook his head at the theatrics and shook Luciano again.

“No more sleep. You need to get used to sleeping during the day again. Come on, Lucy. Ben, Eli, Rael, wake up,” Hadrian began tickling the children there, to contribute to the waking process, and they all woke up moments later with twinkling eyes and clutching at the two adults.

“I want pancakes,” Ben looked at Edwin with pleading eyes. “With rum syrup.”

“No alcohol!” And so, the hopes of the three that they would get their favorite toppings were dashed. “But your papa can get you melted chocolate from the town while uncle Seb moves my papers along.”

At the mention of chocolate, all sleep left the four children, and they exited the carriage as if someone was chasing them. Edwin turned to an amused Hadrian and leaned on his shoulder.

“Why can’t I be the papa?” He whined and Hadrian chuckled.

“I spoil them, and you are as stern as a mother should be. Besides, I have broader shoulders than you and am more muscled,” Edwin sighed and ran a hand over Hadrian’s chest. They were as if made of marble, hard and toned.

“That you are. I guess I need to begin exercising more. Morning runs just won’t cut it,” Hadrian opened his mouth to protest.

“I like your runner physic. It is delicate and goes well with your adorable face,” Edwin blushed at that. It was nice to know that Hadrian thought him attractive too, and didn’t just fall in love with him because of his deeds.

“Come on, I need to make pancakes, and you need to get chocolate. I do hope there is an open shop at this hour,” Hadrian exited the carriage gingerly and offered his hand to Edwin to help him do the same. Edwin didn’t need it, but he still appreciated the gesture enough to take the offered hand.

“So, the battle plan for tonight is pancakes, which we shouldn’t be giving to growing boys for dinner, and then a story around a fire?” Suggested Hadrian.

“No, it is pancakes and then lessons. Has Lucy been reading the medical texts I bought for him before Sebastian and I went to the Asylum of Blood? Have Ben and Rael been keeping up with their math problems? Is Eli coloring his books every day? You remembered to ask him questions about them, right? He needs to speak more,” Edwin would have said more, had Hadrian not burst laughing.

Edwin lightly swatted the vampire on the chest, and he took the offending hand and planted a chaste kiss on it. They were moving too fast, just like their friendship had come about too fast. Edwin didn’t know how to feel about that.

“Yes to everything. Marisa has been helping too. She bought Elidys this weird toy that makes animal sounds. His favorite is the cow,” they reached the fire and saw each of the children with a book in hand. Elidys was babbling at Daniel, who nodded every so often as he sharpened his sword.

“We have a good family,” said Edwin, and then he breathed in the night air. He could smell the first blossoms on the trees, the coming of spring. Even the birds were still singing merely. Wait, blossoms?

“Are they allergic to pollen? Are you?” The urgency in Edwin’s voice nearly made Hadrian burst out laughing again, but he settled for a chuckle.

“They have been fine on the way to the desert, and we crossed a rainforest to get there. Granted, it was a small one, but it was full of plants.”

“Allergies are nothing to scoff at,” and, as they separated to do their tasks, Edwin began asking the children questions. It turned out they were not allergic, but they still felt warm inside that Edwin cared enough to be concerned for them.  

2