Chapter 98: The prize
36 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 The awarding committee was there and so was half or at least 3/4ths of Wandermere. There were children with flowers and everyone stared at the two sire killers who were on the raised platform.

“It is my honor to name Edwin Roberts and Sebastian Black as protectors of the Surian Theocracy. May they destroy the next dungeon that pops up,” the spokeswoman, a stately older woman with an elegant flowing hair, handed Edwin and Sebastian the two diplomas.

“And, as someone who will personally benefit from the rediscovery of the Mandragora, I want to thank you for your foresight in rescuing all the life-bettering and saving herbs from the Asylum of Blood,” more applause followed. And the flowers were thrown on the platform.

Edwin had even been offered the seat of a Boliarin as a fourth one in the Surian Theocracy by Cardinal Leo the IX. He had not wanted to accept, at first, but then Daniel had sat him down and reminded him what he was fighting for. More responsibility meant more backing for his movement. And Edwin needed that.

“I’d like to thank you for coming,” began Edwin, unsure. It was late at night and, on the front row, were his family arrayed neatly. But he mustn’t address just them now. Tonight, he needed to make the first step to better healer ethics.

“Some of you are healers, and I’d like to thank you for that too,” Edwin’s palms sweated as he spoke. But this was not the time to be nervous. “But, ask yourself, when was the last time you decided to heal despite politics?”

There was a confused murmuring spreading among the crowd and the spokeswoman send him a pleading look to change the subject, yet, Edwin ignored all that.

“When was the last time you could say your conscience was clear? The last time you could do what was right, and not what you were taught in the academy?” Some hung their heads at that, and Edwin saw that they were in healer scrubs. They were the people who he needed to convince.

“We can change that. Rise our heads from the shame that mares our noble profession. Next time you are faced with a sickness that protocol dictates should be ignored, heal it regardless. And know you are backed by a Boliarin who does the same every day,” Some raised their heads and Edwin got hopeful, but the ones who remained with their head bowed garnered some disapproving looks from the crowd.

“Thank you for listening, and please give my words some consideration,” with that, Edwin stepped back, so Sebastian could say his piece.

“We will keep destroying dungeons because they have no place in the civilized world,” said Sebastian gravely. “Regardless of where they are. If we can do that, then healers can heal, can’t they?”

Someone shouted, “healers can heal,” and the crowd took up the chant. Even some of the healers who had remained with bowed heads through Edwin’s speech did so. Sebastian winked at Edwin and bowed to the crowd.

“Yes, well, well-spoken,” the spokeswoman seemed eager to end this before more rebellious words were spoken. “Have a pleasant night, Wandermere. And thank you again, Roberts and Black.”

With that, the woman scurried back behind the curtains and Edwin and Sebastian descended the platform.

“Roberts, wait!” Came a shout from Edwin’s left. He turned around to see a group of healers with determined faces.

“Will you go about to apply for a seat on the international council of five?” The council of five was a council of all the non Alanqian territories, minus the Tsardom of Mopia and its vassals.

“There is a seat open?” The thought hadn’t even crossed Edwin’s mind. Those seats were for life and the presence of the consuls, as the members were called, was required twice yearly during sessions.

“Well, yes, Karl Lambert left it open,” then the healer extended his hand towards Edwin. “Alfredo Lavern, nice to meet you.”

“The pleasure is all mine, Alfredo,” Edwin shook the hand of the spokesman, and he continued to talk.

“It would be nice to have a healer on the council. It is dominated by necromancers. Well, I guess you are one too, but… What I mean is that you know what it is like to heal and bring people back to health, despite your handicap.”

Edwin nodded. His mana was indeed a slow acting poison and yet, even now that it was practically acidic, he still found a way to heal.

“Can the healers of Wandermere join in a council of their own? I would like to hear your suggestions before I go to the arena,” there was a reason why only necromancers were the traditional members of the council of five. They fought with shadows and wraiths during the arena matches that decided who gets to be a member. In a sense, the strongest got their voice heard.

“We can do that?” Alfredo turned towards his fellow healers, who were nodding at him.

“And you can be the chairman,” supplied Edwin, and the man smiled. “I will write to Cardinal Leo for permission for you to gather. We don’t want unjust arrests.”

“We should have the right to gather without the cardinal’s approval,” hissed a healer to the right. She was an older woman with a bun on her head and a surgeon batch on her scrubs. “We are not criminals!”

“Ella, not now. We have support now, and we can discuss our concerns meanwhile. No one is going to arrest us in a café,” Alfredo spoke with a certainty that Edwin approved of. People were free to speak anywhere, even in Alanqian, but they could only have a delegate as a council.

“Will you have such councils in Duria too? The spokeswoman said you were from there,” said Ella.

“It is my desire to see such councils and unrestrained healers across Adosinda,” many raised eyebrows were his answer. “Now, I will leave you to your planning.”

Hadrian walked by his side in the crowd, and Edwin turned to him.

“Do you think this will hit the news?” Asked Edwin with a grin.

“Prepare to have all your dirty laundry aired, Eddy,” they shared a laugh and clasped each other’s hands, walking back to the inn.

2