Chapter 100: First steps
37 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alfredo Lavern gave the summed up list of all the things the healers of Wandermere wanted to change, and Edwin looked through it. It all aligned with his personal observations.

“Ok, I will send this over to Cardinal Leo,” assured Edwin, and he watched as Alfredo still loitered in his spot.

“Yes?” Alfredo pushed a bag with runes to Edwin. The brown haired healer was confused. He had roped Sebastian into helping with that, and now they were returned to him?

“I think that, as law-abiding citizens, we shouldn’t hide,” Alfredo spoke as if he had practiced that many times in front of a mirror and Edwin nodded.

“When I heard about the first, unsanctioned council you held in your house, I thought that there would be many more. Thorold told me about it. That is why Sebastian and I whipped up the runes,” Alfredo nodded but made no move to get the runes back.

“That was a mistake on my part. One that will not happen again,” Alfredo nodded at Edwin and turned to leave, but stopped in the doorway. “I’d like to know what is the possibility of having our hands untied, healer Roberts.”

“Quite the big one,” spoke Edwin, sure of himself. “I have the ear of the Cardinal and, seeing as I declined the monetary prize for the destruction of the dungeon, he owes me. What we want would not shake his power base. If anything, the possibility that he would be remembered as the cardinal to untie the hands of his healers, would be beneficial for his legacy.”

“You have given this much thought,” and with that, Alfredo left the room and Edwin heard the front door of his apartment closing with a click soon after. The healer took the list and placed it in the premade envelope with the letter he had written to the cardinal.

If he sent it via a bird, it would be there in about four days. Seeing as the cardinal’s manse was in the rainforest and a bit hard to find. But, a bird could be shot down. So, he decided to send it with a rider instead.

Taking the envelope, now thick with paper, he exited his apartment and went into the bright day outside. Some people stopped him to thank him for the dungeon. Others for the cure for the coughing sickness. Edwin felt a pang of guilt for the last one. After all, he had brought it upon these people, albeit unknowingly.

He made it to the post office and noted that there was just one rider waiting outside it. That was strange. Normally, there would be at least twenty at any time of the day.

Edwin waved at the rider and approached. He had bought his postage stamp long ago and had registered the letter yesterday, when he had completed it. Now, he just needed to give it over.

“Everything is done. Would you accept?” The rider measured the envelope and smiled.

“That would be ten gold coins, you are a bit over the weight limit for non-packages,” Edwin nodded and fished the money out of his coin bag.

“It is of the utmost importance that you wait for a response,” added Edwin, and slipped the rider another ten gold coins. “For your accommodation during your stay at St. Jackal monastery.”

“St. Jackal? I am going to the cardinal?” The rider seemed unsure now, and Edwin considered slipping him more money.

“Would there be a problem?” Asked Edwin instead.

“Had I known, I would have packed better clothes. Never mind, you want me to go to the cardinal, I’ll go. Will you be here when I return?” Edwin didn’t know, hadn’t considered how he was going to contact the rider when he moved to Duria. But now, his decision was made.

“Yes, I will be. How long will you be? Know that you wouldn’t need to go through the official channels for an audience, Mister…”

“Charles Breen, like the herb,” Edwin extended his hand, and they exchanged a handshake.

“Edwin Roberts, I am pleased to make your acquaintance, Mister Breen,” the rider snickered and Edwin raised an eyebrow.

“Just Charles, can I call you Edwin?” Edwin was surprised at the forwardness of the rider, but he nodded.

“I know a bit about you. You spurred the healers into toeing the line of open rebellion with your speech. Good words you spoke that night,” Edwin nodded at that, and the rider saluted him.

“I’ll get it done, Edwin. Healers that actually heal will do the world good,” and with that, the rider mounted his horse and spurred it on in a gallop. Edwin watched him go and wondered if the entire Wandermere had been there that night, three days ago, or just a part of it, as he had thought.

He walked back to the apartment and then was greeted by the boys in front of the door all bundled up in coats, hats, and shawls and preparing to leave with Sebastian.

“Uncle Seb is taking us out for a walk,” said Ben happily. Edwin supposed he did let the children be cooped up too long, but that was for their safety. They didn’t know who cultivated the Asylum of Blood dungeon and, whoever it was, would want revenge for its destruction and the theft of its rare herbs.

“Be back by dinner,” Edwin walked in the apartment and found Hadrian reading one of Luciano’s medical books and writing something in a notebook.

“Hey, studying?” Edwin plopped next to him on the couch and leaned on his lover.

“I have been using mnemonics. How does Ashice sound?”

“Age, sex, history, injuries, condition, extra information? Standard one for a check-up,” supplied Edwin.

“I hoped you wouldn’t know,” whined Hadrian. Edwin chuckled and racked his brain for any mnemonics he could give to Hadrian.

“Here is a good one: They Pay MAlcohol. Which stands for:  tricuspid valve, pulmonary semilunar valve, mitral (bicuspid) valve, aortic semilunar valve. Those are the heart valves, right to left. Neat, huh? Back in the academy, we used to joke it would be nice to get paid in alcohol,” said Edwin wistfully, remembering the happy first two months of his studies. Before Helena’s death.

“You mean: Toilet Paper, MAss?” Edwin snickered and they spend the rest of the day playing the mnemonics game.

2