Chapter 101: Back to Duria
47 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A month later, when Charles Breen came back with the agreement of Cardinal Leo to all the demands, Edwin couldn’t help but laugh. He hadn’t known how much of a thorn in the side of the leader of the Surian Theocracy the Asylum of Blood was, but, apparently, it had been a rather big one.

In exchange for the cardinal agreeing to all the demands, he had also wanted a standard price range for all the healing techniques that healers practiced. Edwin hadn’t even known that healers charged different people differently.

Alfredo Lavern had grumbled. It appears that the healers were lining their pockets with their more well-to-do patients. But, Edwin had reminded him that they would not get a second chance if they screwed up this one and so, the man had agreed to pass along the word.

By the end of the week the new Healer Code was made and Edwin had given an oath together with the Surian healers. It was one of his proudest days, as he had never been allowed to give an oath to the old code, as imperfect as it was. He got kicked out of the Academy before the ceremony.

And then, a day after the oath, a letter from the Alanqian Empire came for Edwin asking him to get rid of the two dungeons and the bandit hideout that was in the country.

As the negotiations with King Valyr to give more rights to the healers of Duria were going nowhere, Edwin decided to pack up and leave. It was not like he was not welcomed back in Duria, so, he figured he could go to the Alanqian from there and not brave the desert again.

“Ok, did everyone get everything?” Asked Edwin for what seemed to be the sixth time tonight. Their time was running out, and the caravan won’t wait for them forever. It had taken Thorold some connections to make it escort them all the way to the Murontes Monument.

Thorold had told him he might as well see the world and finish cleaning it from dungeons, monsters and what have you. Edwin had agreed, albeit reluctantly. It was already hard enough on the children to move constantly.

Then again, seeing the world would help them, eventually. Hadrian picked up an overstuffed suitcase and placed it outside the door, where one of the caravanners took it and carried it off.

“If we have forgotten anything, we don’t need it,” Hadrian went and pecked Edwin on the cheek. “Like that pink sweater you are making Elidys wear as a punishment.”

“It is not a punishment, he likes it! Where is it?” Hadrian went and unearthed it from below a couch cushion.

“Boys shouldn’t wear pink, Eddy,” argued Hadrian with the same old argument.

“It is not pink, per se, more light red,” argued back Edwin.

“It is pink and hideous. You just like it because you knitted it,” piped in Sebastian as he too was carrying suitcases to the door.

“Eli, do you like your sweater?” The boy teared up and went to stand behind Marisa, who chuckled.

“I think it builds character to wear girly things, Eddy,” said the dragon slayer.

“You mean, you like torturing children, sis?” Spoke from his room, Daniel. He was the last one to pack his things, and now he was in a rush.

“Daniel Hollow, wearing a sweater is not a form of torture!” Elidys looked up at Marisa, betrayed, and went to hide behind Hadrian who spoke soothing words to him.

“How about you leave this in the orphanage on our way out of town?” Suggested Sebastian.

“A girl will definitely like it,” added Hadrian, smiling brightly.

“Fine, we are getting rid of it!” Huffed Edwin. He went and placed the sweater on the pile of clothes for the orphanage. The boys grew like weeds, and they have outgrown most of their clothes. When they made it to Duria, Edwin needed to make sure they saw a seamstress. 

“And done,” said Daniel as he came by with his sack over his back.

“Ok, now, children, did you go to the restroom? You might not have the chance to for a while,” said Marisa, and the boys rushed towards the toilet. But, after a stern look from Marisa, they got in line.

“Another ten minutes, give or take,” said Edwin as he looked around at the now empty apartment. “I think we should come back to Wandermere someday. They have a fine selection of fruits here.”

The orchids of Wandermere dominated the grassy fields before the town and were now in bloom. That would be a good impression for the children.

“Are you ready?” Asked the caravanner from the door. They all waited until the children were done with the toilet and then exited the house. It was dark outside, but there were covered wagons for Hadrian and Daniel.

Edwin had demanded covered wagons for everyone, as it would help them sleep during the day. This constant change between day time sleeping, and nighttime sleeping was taking its toll on the children, so, Edwin decided to make sure they slept during the day alone from now on.

They piled up in the wagons, with the children in their own with the adults taking turns to stay with them. Edwin relaxed in with Hadrian, content in the knowledge that Marisa was with the children, and the wagons began their rickety journey.

“Do you think that the Alanqian healers will greet us with open arms?” Asked Edwin as he played with Hadrian’s fingers.

“Well, if they are like anything I remember, probably not. They are demons and undead, for the most part,” Edwin hadn’t considered that.

“But they want to heal, surely?” Hadrian sighed and moved so that Edwin was fully laying on top of him.

“Well, they do. For money. A lot of money. That is why Duria is so cheap in comparison when it comes to healing. Most of its clientele comes from Alanqian,” Edwin hid his head in the nape of Hadrian’s neck. Maybe it will be hard, but he was sure that there will be a united standard for all healers.

2