7 – A Morning
18 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Banging outside caught my attention. It sounded like two frying pans were being smacked together by someone enthusiastic.

“Hey, everyone! I’m making eggs this morning!” Orrin’s voice filtered into my room in a sort of sing-song manner.

“Shut up and start cooking then!” Enas shouted loud enough to hear from afar.

“Intelligent minds need their rest!” Pythagoras added.

“I’d like them scrambled!” Lerato requested.

Did this group have no troubles whatsoever? They seemed far too carefree, given the strange grey world. I sat up and slowly made my way to the outside.

The scene had grown lighter, but no sun continued to light the sky. I looked around at the colorful cast of characters who popped out in this grey world.

Casey, the giant beast woman, appeared to be doing some stretches in front of her house. Her tortie fur seemed to flow and sway as she performed her exercise.

Enas emerged from his house and yawned as he scratched near the tattoo on his face. He made his way to the house next to his and banged on the door.

“Pythagoras, they will eat it all if you do not get up!” he shouted.

“They would never!” the yellow-orange creature shouted from within his room.

“It is Orrin and Casey we are talking about….”

“I’ll be out right away!” Pythagoras shouted from inside his room after a pause. Enas nodded and made his way over to Lerato and Orrin.

Both were sitting by a metal tray with a small blue flame that a skillet sat on top of. Orrin moved some butter across the pan while Lerato whipped the eggs in a bowl. As I made my way over, I saw them pour the beaten eggs into the pan.

“I hope you like eggs!” Orrin said with a smile as I sat down. I wasn’t sure if I did or not, so I just nodded as he began to scramble the yellow food.

“More importantly, we never decided what we would call you,” Enas said as he crossed his arms and sat by Lerato.

“Kiko,” I quickly replied with the name I heard in my dream. At least I could get something useful out of the terrible experience. I joined the group by the burner but sat a little further away from the circle the others were forming.

“Kiko, a wonderful name!” Lerato said with a nod.

“It will do,” Enas added.

“Personally, I’m still leaning to Pin–” Orrin stopped mid-sentence when he saw the death glare I gave him. “Anyway, these eggs are going to be great!” he said with a wide smile as his green eyes darted back to the pan.

“They better be!” Pythagoras said as he sat down with the rest of us. “We went through a lot of trouble in that world for those dragon eggs!”

What was a dragon? I thought to myself.

As Orrin finished preparing the dish, Casey walked over and joined in with the rest. The green guy would put some of the eggs on a plate; then it was passed from one person to the next until it reached me at the end of the line. They repeated the process until everyone had a plate in their hands.

“Let’s eat!” Orrin shouted before digging into his plate of food.

I joined in and silently took a bite. The texture and flavor were fine, however:

“These taste just like normal eggs!” Orrin shouted my thoughts after several bites.

Enas nodded in agreement.

“Makes you wonder why we went through all the trouble,” the bald man said.

“You lot are crazy,” Pythagoras chimed in, “there is a clear difference here!”

“I concur; this is much better tasting,” Casey said with a nod.

Lerato laughed but kept his opinion to himself. It was clear he agreed with Orrin, though.

“I guess Casey and Pythagoras will be the next two going on the egg run!” he said between his chuckles.

I watched as the others talked and laughed amongst each other about the eggs we were eating.

“You’re outnumbered on this one,” Orrin said to Casey and Pythagoras.

“Kiko hasn’t made a vote yet,” Casey said while turning to me. I jumped. She was nowhere close to us when I told my name, so it surprised me that she heard.

“I… can’t say they seem vastly superior…” I quietly replied. Both Casey and Pythagoras let their heads down. Orrin, meanwhile, threw his hands in the air and began to shout.

“Hahaha, we win this one!” Enas nodded in silent agreement. Lerato just chuckled to himself; he had remained quiet, perhaps for the best. What did I just take part in?

A sudden geyser sound could be heard as the group laughed and made idle banter. We all looked to the sky to see a watery stream arc over our heads.

“Ah, there is another one,” Lerato said.

“Another what?” I asked.

“Someone just went from one world to another. Happens from time to time,” Pythagoras said.

“Does that happen often?” I asked.

“Hmm, it doesn’t seem like it happens too often, though lately, I think it has been more frequent,” Lerato wondered aloud.

We remained quiet for a moment as if everyone was wondering what to say next.

“Well, shall we see what the day brings us?” Orrin clapped his hands together as he spoke. He smiled as he looked at each of our faces. I looked in another direction when he came to me.

“I’m heading north, still need to map out some of that region,” Pythagoras said.

“I’ll patrol the west,” Casey added.

“I’ll be going east,” Lerato continued.

“Guess I will be to the south,” Enas said with a nod.

“And I’ll wander like always!” Orrin said with a smile.

I had no idea what they were talking about and awkwardly looked at each of them. The only one to notice my confusion was Lerato, who promptly explained.

“We have divided this world up among four sections and travel around in the day,” he explained.

“Yes indeed!” Orrin said. “If you want, you can come with me!”

“No, thank you,” I quickly replied.

The green guy frowned for a split second as Lerato and Pythagoras chuckled.

“Well, you probably shouldn’t travel alone….” Orrin said with a new smile. “Let’s see. Eeny Meeny…. Mo… Mark will accompany you today, and let’s all break for the day!” Orrin quickly ran away from the group before Enas could yell about being called ‘Mark’ once again.

The bald man sighed.

“Guess you can tag along today,” he said.

2