Chapter 014: The Third Young Master & Fourth Mother
1.5k 6 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

When the short creature screamed for no apparent reason, the startled Tian Lang also followed suit. He hadn’t expected to get unnoticed, after all, the two-legged creatures were mighty and found him for no apparent reasons. Only, that scream caught him off-guard.

Naturally, it got rowdy outside the cave and attracted the attention of many creatures.

“Third Young Master, we heard you screaming. What happened? Are you injured?!” a loud voice asked worriedly.

“Aung Nang, I’m fine. There was... a mouse and it surprised me by running over my shoulder. Please forgive me for being so careless.” The short creature, Third Young Master, laughed in embarrassment and apologized.

The worried creature let out a sigh of relief but the ones following it threw some disdainful glance. At that moment another worried, but twinkling voice reached the cave.

“San’er, what happened? Did you again injure your arm while practicing?” For the first time in life, Tian Lang heard such a warm and gentle, motherly voice filled with motherly love that moved him to the very essence of his core. It was unknown what he felt but he wanted to jump on that creature and wrap his body around it and never leave its side. If he didn’t have the apprehension, he would’ve surely done so.

The creature quickly entered the cave and approached the short creature.

With the motherly creature’s appearance, all the maids dispersed like moths before fire.

The Third Young Master hesitated, it could twist the truth to others without batting an eyelid, but this creature was different. Even considering such a thing filled it with guilt.

“Fourth Mother, there’s a beast below the table. I was surprised when I saw it couldn’t help but scream. Forgive this unfilial son to make you worry for no reason.”

However, the word beast drained all blood from Fourth Mother’s face. Frantic, it stood in front of the Third Young Master, defending with its body in case of possible danger.

Seeing Fourth Mother’s action, the short creature quickly explained, “Fourth Mother, there’s no danger. It’s only a beast pup and from how long it's been, your son is sure this pup is docile.”

“Eh, is that true?”

Third Young Master nodded, assuring the motherly creature. Only then did it let out a relieved sigh. Still, it didn’t let the short creature without an earring, “San’er, you still can’t trust a beast. If it is not a tamed beast, you cannot leave your back unguarded like this. Promise me you won’t ever make such a mistake.”

Only when the Third Young Master, San’er, promised did the motherly creature let it go.

“Right, San’er, what kind of beast is it? Is it an elemental beast? How come it’s in our storeroom,” Fourth Mother curiously inquired. Not to mention their territories were guarded by Yue Clan guards, this storeroom was situated in the middle of their living quarters. The chance of being successfully invaded by normal beasts was close to none.

“I think it was traveling with its mother and later on got lost. As for how it ended here, I’m not sure of this. Let me bring it out.” San’er didn’t wait for a reply and crouched down to take out the lost pup.

By the time Fourth Mother reacted, San’er already had the creature in its arms.

Tian Lang squeezed his flesh and furs inside him as much as possible. Seemingly trying to look as small and adorable as possible. It was unknown whether because of nervousness or some unknown reason, his tongue rolled out and he breathed heavily.

Tian Lang also watched Fourth Mother with great detail. It had delicate features, its complexion white as the moon and eyes clear as spring. Its lustrous black hair was pulled up high into a bun, barely decorated with a single purple phoenix hairpin, simple and elegant but yet still stylish.

Looking at this creature as a whole, its expression seemed to appear even more beautiful and full of wisdom. Adorned in a sky blue gown and a jade bracelet on its wrist

When Fourth Mother saw Tian Lang, its eyes sharpened instantly. The amiable aura was nowhere to be seen and muttered in a daze, “What in the world?... True Dragon, Phoenix, Titan, there are other unknown bloodlines too, is that blood of the fallen god?... this is utter chaos how can there be such an existence??”

“Fourth Mother! Fourth Mother!!”

Noticing the weird behavior of the Fourth Mother, the Third Young Master brought it to attention.

“Please look! Doesn’t this pup look like a Level 2 Silver-ranked Luminous Wolf?! Although its fur is longer than what I recall in the beast catalog, it is undoubtedly the Silver-ranked Luminous Wolf!” San’er exclaimed cheerfully.

Fourth Mother still looked out of it but cheered on, “San’er, you’re absolutely correct. It should at least be a Silver-tier beast.”

Silver-tier beast, after all, rare. Only powerful Clans and Royal Families had the luxury to form a contract with them. Not to mention a young pup, it had the possibility of evolving to Gold-tier. Even Royal Families would leave no means to obtain one.

Glee pasted on the Third Young Master’s face as it became really happy, “Doesn’t that mean I have a Silver-tier beast which I can immediately contract with?”

“You’re right, San’er... but Fourth Mother is afraid that this beast already has an owner.”

The small creature froze and finally realized that there was a collar on the pup’s neck.

Tian Lang

A mighty name for a mighty pup!

The countenance of the creature turned sour. If this pup had an owner, the Third Young Master couldn’t get this. Suddenly he thought of something, “Fourth Mother, maybe it had a really bad owner that’s why it ran away? Or they could’ve died...”

“San’er!” Fourth Mother sharply rebuked.

“San’er begs forgiveness, Fourth Mother.” The short creature kneeled and apologized.

Fourth Mother nodded. “It is normal to want something others have but you should never let greed control you. Do you understand what I mean, San’er.”

San’er nodded and chastised itself inwardly for thinking such a thing.

“Ah, I forgot I was bathing Shuang’er, that girl must’ve already done something.” Much to Tian Lang’s disappointment Fourth Mother quickly exited the cave, leaving only the two-legged creature and pup duo. However, they each held different kinds of emotions.

Tian Lang wanted nothing to do with this creature but the same couldn’t be said for the other party. Not only did it not let go of Tian Lang, it even enthusiastically chatted with him.

Showing him all kinds of rectangular blocks called ‘Book’, he also learned many things from the Third Young Master. By the time the sky darkened, Tian Lang had learned so many things that he felt small in front of this moundless creature.

He wanted to cry but had no tears.

Although it hugged him with little to no strength, he didn’t dare to run out. While he wanted to lay low, he also felt guilty for destroying this creature’s book. But after learning so many things he didn’t even try to.

This was a treasure trove. A treasure trove to learn!

Before Tian Lang even realized it was already past two months.

The crystals provided by this creature were as tasteless as Hanying’s but enough to not let him go hungry.

It is at that time that Tian Lang realized that they were called Humans, not two-legged creatures. While he had yet to encounter any, there seems to be a lot of bipedal creatures.

The Third Young Master had vast knowledge and showed him illustrations of various bipedal demons, there were even some bipedal beasts. He came to know about the mystical Summoning Grimoires. Only then did Tian Lang realize that Books and Grimoires, although looked alike, were entirely different things.

What freaked him out so much when the Third Young Master taught him about Beast Rankings and Holy Beasts, and relations between beast and contractors that he stopped reacting for a whole day.

To think Humans and Beasts were of different race and beasts who took human form aren’t Humans but Holy-Beasts. It made the small pup feel inferior and sad. To think the mighty him had the role of being tamed by a Human Contractor was completely ridiculous and utter nonsense to him.

Naturally, he understood this young Human’s wish and aspirations but still, he didn’t sympathize with it. He wasn’t willing to be tamed by the first human he met–whom’s race he couldn’t be sure of–either.

But it wasn’t only him who freaked out. At first, the Third Young Master only chatted with Tian Lang to pass time while studying himself but when it saw him reacting to its words, it tried something unimaginable.

The Third Young Master tried to teach the pup. Unsurprisingly Tian Lang learned much faster than even some adults. If it explained something once, it didn’t need to say that again.

Through wooden cards it tested the pup, the result left him frightened. It didn’t even dare reveal this to Fourth Mother and did its best to teach everything it knew to the pup.

From Human Language to the basics of Demon Language, useful fauna and flora in the wilderness. Necessary knowledge about wilderness survival and anything which could be learned through reading. Most importantly knowledge about beast grades and their ascension and... human power level...

And there was chaos.

Inside the pup’s head, that is.

If he could speak, he would express his denial of reality and smash his head into pieces.

Humans, they were weak.

That was his first impression after initial knowledge about Human Power Level.

Those who contract with a Summoning Grimoire are called Summoners.

To rise in rank Summoners must actively fight using their Grimoires in order to gain experience. Once the necessary amount of exp is reached their Rank would evolve to a new Rank.

And Summoners can get strong faster if they had strong beast or Holy-Beasts.

In the case of those lacking a Grimoire, they must pass certain quests, complete a certain number of quests or acquire certain items as proof of their ability, after which they must go to their local mercenary or assassins branch to have it officially updated when they have gathered the necessary accomplishments.

Their strength increased at a snail’s pace and extremely inefficient without outside sources (stronger contracted beasts).

However, after he thought of some things, he realized it wasn’t that simple. Let alone of Moqi and Bi-Gao whom Tian Lang could match, the first human that he knew of, it was entirely in a new league. For the most part, he doubted it was a Holy-Beast rather than a human.

He knew a bit of his level due to that Beautiful Human and he got a lot stronger after parting with that particular human. If he remembers correctly, it said that he was a Platinum-ranked beast, a rank above Gold-rank. Maybe he got a few levels from then?

While he understood rankings, it didn’t mean he could figure out his own level.

However, rather than figuring out his own level, the worried pup had more pressing issues.

For the last two days, the Third Young Master refused to teach him anything and sat blankly with a piece of paper in its hand.

Apparently, its fiancée broke their engagement.

40