Chapter 006: A True Challenge
2.4k 9 53
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Inside the inner-part of the Valley of Eternal Ruins, a pup could be seen walking with slow steps. With his every step, he stared left and right. When the occasional breeze brushed past his body, he would jump back and growl, silently. It was obvious the pup was feeling anxious. To be more exact, he got the feeling as if something locked onto his position. Like a hidden predator observing its prey, he felt his body being stared from top to bottom.

The pup had unrefined furs and there was even someplace exposing his skin. It was precisely Tian Lang. Small furs already started growing but it would still take some time for them to reach their initial size. After all, one month was nowhere near enough to grow his lost furs so fast. Even now he grumbled about how hateful those snakes were.

And as he used his novice-grade ‘thinking about other things’ technique to shake off the feeling of being inspected, the first beast after entering the inner layer entered from the corner of his vision.

It was similar to his own self but not quite. In size, roughly one meter in height and twice the length. Short black furs with gray patterns covering its body. The furs gave a feeling that it wouldn’t shine even in the brightest light. Contrary to its dark appearance, it had golden eyes that gleamed brightly. In this gloomy atmosphere, those eyes would make anyone feel goosebumps all over their body. It had four legs, similar to the pup but they were more robust and could burst with instantaneous power. Even the slightly crouching posture revealed its main forte was superior speed and agility.

Both beasts stared at each other without moving a muscle. All the trees and gloomy atmosphere faded away from their world, leaving only the pup and the leopard.

10 seconds...

Everything became silent for 10 seconds, the winds swirled and the beasts already disappeared from their initial position as they both threw their claws towards the other.

Bam-Bam!

Two muffled bang as if something hard-hitting the flesh sounded.

The leopard flew 20 meters at the west side while the pup flew 18 meters on the east side.

The first ended with a win of the pup, but Tian Lang didn't feel satisfied. He thought even if failed to make a hole, at least the bone would break, but evidently it wasn't the case. Even their strength had a negligible amount of difference.

Thep leopard also looked at the pup with surprise and nothing else, quite evident it already expected the outcome. Only surprised at the result.

This time, before the pup could move, the leopard showed its wit and took advantage of the terrain, merging with the darkness.

Suddenly, Tian Lang lost all traces and aura of the beast. Instead, he felt numerous eyes looking at him. As if they were all-mighty, and had control over everything, they brazenly glared at the pup, from all directions.

Wind stirred everywhere, Tian Lang vigilantly kept his eyes straight. He dealt with these type of tactics in this valley. For these type of sneak attacks rather than using eyes, hearing and detecting auras were more fruitful.

The air on his left stirred abnormally!

Just as Tian Lang turned to left he found himself flying through the air as he slammed on a thick tree. The force caused him to pierce through the thick tree, only then did the inertia came to a stop and he regained control over his body.

When he thought it was from left, the leopard actually attacked him from the right. Thankfully, the claws couldn't pierce through his fur and he only took some blunt damage.

As Tian Lang locked-down on his opponent, it once again faded from his vision but before he could prepare, the next attack hit his body, smashing him on a thicker tree. The force of the attack may look weak but it was fatal. Unlike the last attack, this time the leopard’s claws dug deep into his ribs, splashing fresh blood on the ground.

The leopard revealed its battle sense and experience both in these two moves. The first attack was to probe Tian Lang’s power and the second time it found his furs too strong and elastic to let its claws dig deeper. On the third move, it avoided the furs and attacked the spot where Tian Lang barely had any.

Tian Lang had most of his furs corroded and some parts of his skins were revealed for any attack. Still, it wouldn’t be possible to pierce through his defense without sufficient strength. The leopard judged its overall strength as well as Tian Lang’s defense to connect that attack.

Next, the leopard became a black streak and attacked layer after layer. It didn’t stop a single second. Every time its attack connected to a part of his body, it instantly disappeared into the dark woods. With every streak of black light another injury formed on Tian Lang’s body.

The innate technique of the Night Leopards, Flash Movements!

Very soon, Tian Lang had blood dripping from all over his body. With every claw attack, his body flew five to ten meters away but the next instant, before he could stabilize his center of gravity, another attack would send him off-balance. Tian Lang stubbornly held onto the ground and no matter how many attacks fell upon his body, he remained unmoved.

Ignoring the wounds forming one after another, he focused on the black streak of light. Sure, it was the same beast who kept attacking him relentlessly but he failed to see its figure, let alone the beast. He wanted to see through everything. If he couldn’t even see, how would he attack? Aimless attacks against a beast with far superior agility would be in vain. Such a thing was something he already saw in this valley. Like how a defeated beast would give their death blow but the winning beast would always avoid it. It was not only because those beasts were prepared for the attack but because they had superiority over them, both in speed, agility and reaction.

Tian Lang barely avoided the attacks on his head or eyes and concentrated on seeing through the leopard’s movements. He wanted to see, he wanted to reveal everything hidden. So, he concentrated all his power in his eyes and then—

—everything changed.

The gloomy world in front him faded and everything became sky clear. All the feeling of being watched, the fake auras in the surrounding, he could see through everything. Unlike how he saw a moment ago, the leopard’s speed didn’t look that frightening anymore. Hell! He could even see the fluttering furs of the leopard. Without delay, a claw headed directly towards his head but this time, Tian Lang avoided the claw pretty easily. However, as he was unprepared he failed to counterattack.

But everything was different this time. Tian Lang immediately chased after the black, now eye-catching leopard. His claw shuttled through the air but the leopard tilted sideways, avoiding the sharp claws, full of vigor.

Both stopped, crouching, they once again vigilantly glared at each other. They were back to square again but Tian Lang was now at the losing side. He received too many injuries and with every drop of blood leaving his body, his stamina was also draining fast. Yet, either side had yet to land a decisive victory.

Both the leopard and Tian Lang had similar strength and defense. However, Tian Lang lost in terms of speed and agility but now his god-like reaction speed filled his shortcoming. The leopard also lost its advantage of terrain, any type of confusion or illusion technique didn’t work on Tian Lang anymore. He was like thirsty predator concentrating only on his opponent and everything else was irrelevant. Their claws could only inflict superficial wounds and the leopard’s superiority would only be revealed at a drawn-out fight. The most secure way to obtain victory would be laying their fangs on the other’s neck. This was true for both the leopard and the pup, Tian Lang.

Boom!

The ground ruptured and the next instant the black leopard had its fangs just above Tian Lang’s neck but before it could sink its shiny dagger-like fangs on his neck, a paw smacked on its chin, slamming it on a thick tree, headfirst.

The leopard found its world spinning. Using the force on its hind legs, it instinctively propelled backward, exposing its underbelly in the process.

Alas, the leopard was a tad bit late and Tian Lang’s sharp fangs already sank in its shoulder. Tian Lang aimed for the leopard’s soft neck but due to its dodging, he missed his target, but he didn’t let go, flying backwards along with the leopard.

Tian Lang pinned the leopard and plunged his fangs deeper before trying to tear the shoulder apart from its body.

Crack

A slight cracking of bone sounded.

However, strength didn't equal to weight. As soon as the leopard hit the ground and it jumped straight. Tian Lang had to let go of the leg and he took ten meters of distance.

The leopard had already lost its advantage. Its front leg didn’t separate but it cracked for sure. Even if it wanted to run, it had to bear with the pain. Fighting on its peak stage was already impossible. Still, this was its own territory. If it wanted to run nothing could stop it. But as the king of the valley, it had its own pride. Running away from its worthy opponent wasn’t something it considered.

It revealed an expression that almost expressed a mix of both excitement and smiling.

Maybe Tian Lang also felt similar to the leopard, he also expressed a similar expression. Sure, there were many fights he had trouble with but either it was because of their special body constitution—such as harder outer shell and overly soft body—or specialty. It was his first to meet a quadrupedal beast, much similar to himself, who could go against him face-to-face. Also, he understood, it would be their last, final strike.

Either the leopard dies, or the wolf-pup.

Boom-Boom!

Both started off the ground at the same time, and their claws passed by each other meanwhile their fangs plunged into others.

What occurred next was only muffled growling and small-big scratches on each others body from their wildly flailing claws. They remained at the same position even when they started feeling weak, till all the way passed out, they never stopped glaring.

Only when both the platinum-furred pup and black leopard passed out, did their fang left each other's throat.

From afar if someone saw this view, they would think the close hug of the different colored beasts looked extremely striking and lovely... Fortunately or unfortunately, there was none to see this lovely yet strangely weird scene.

After who knows how long, Tian Lang finally regained his consciousness. Strangely, he failed to sense his legs or his tail, let alone his ears and nose. His eyes felt heavy as if a few tons of weight were added on them. With great effort, he was able to part one eye-lid. And—

—a pair of bright golden eyes greeted his sight.

Grr-

It was unknown where did Tian Lang found such strength but he growled at the leopard, as they engaged in another round of glaring contest.

The leopard looked in much better condition but it remained silent and only returned Tian Lang’s glare. Even Tian Lang turned silent after a while. They didn’t have any kind of mortal enmity. Both wished for a strong and worthy opponent and astonishingly they both survived after throwing everything at each other.

Was there any need to kill each other?

Tian Lang didn’t know. At least with his current instinct and knowledge, he had almost no reason to kill the leopard. So far he only killed and ate others because they saw him as the same thing, food. Only that beautiful creature and this leopard was different. Although it was irritating as that creature took him too lightly, it did treat him better than anyone else. While this leopard treated him as an opponent or even as equal from the very start. Even the leopard had no killing intent in its eyes, and it didn’t even struggle or try to fight anymore. As if throwing its fate to death. Tian Lang finally dropped the idea of killing.

It wasn’t wrong to say the leopard was throwing its fate to death. Unlike the monstrosity before its eyes, it knew its condition better than anyone else. Even if it survived, it won't live for more than a month. Dying by the hands of its greatest opponent, or rival would be far greater than dying from an injury.

It wouldn’t be wrong to call Tian Lang a monstrosity either. After all, those who could store five dragon’s crystal energy inside their body without even realizing could only be counted as a monstrosity. If it wasn’t for the power of the dragon qi, Tian Lang would’ve already succumbed to his injuries long ago. Every time he received an injury, his body was refined and got stronger and sturdier along with generating more blood in his small body. Only then did he defeat a beast that was much more experienced and powerful than himself!

53