Chapter 28: The Start of Something Wretched
136 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Later that night, Ora was found hugging Rel as they both slept in the hallways. He refused to tell everyone the events that transpired and simply stated that he had fallen tired and fell asleep.

Aside from that, the time had moved on very fast. It was quite odd. It felt like he was in stasis, just watching the world fly by him.

Since the time that Galtz had joined them, four months had passed by. These months flew rather quickly and they managed to learn many things from Galtz. Rel had learned various Divine Arts and when to apply them, making him even more formidable in combat.

Alel had also learned various Divine Arts. This placed them leagues above what they were before. If they were to face their previous selves, they would outclass their old selves.

The rest of the plague children had learned various methods of Divine Arts and they've logged all of the abilities of the relics they had found. All in all, they had an immense amount of powerful relics amongst the bunch. These relics didn't always suit the fighting style of the user, however.

And some simply were more powerful in the hands of the right person. But fortunately, almost everyone had found a relic.

During this time in training, Alel had asked if Galtz had known any healing magic. Unfortunately, he did not know a single bit of healing magic. Only some simple ones to stop bleeding.

Ora had been quite wary of Galtz at first, but he had come to realize that the man was genuinely a good person. One that he could rely on to protect the others. That...and he had astounding strength and capability. Experience was indeed a factor in action.

Even after various plague children had learned their abilities, none of them could touch him. If they all had come at him at once, they would still fail to inflict damage. That in itself was skill much greater than the One Man Army. - Notwithstanding his overwhelming power increase of course.

Ora had managed to keep up with Alucarde and the two battled every hour they had gotten a chance. People saw less and less of Ora because his days consisted of battling Alucard,e sleeping, waking up, and battling Alucarde yet again.

However, he had definitely benefitted from the learning experience. Just 3 days ago he could only formulate and 136 shadows. Now, he could formulate over 10,000 and control more than half of that at one time.

His proficiency in the shadow arts was definitely increasing. These times were the most peaceful he had ever seen here. No one was worried about dying. The plague children walked about carelessly and freely. No one bothered them.

Though they still viewed the children with much suspicion, they feared to treat them. An incident had happened just 2 months ago in which a man tried to recreate the PSF. But they were destroyed immediately by Rel and Alel.

Alel had warned them that, while their relations were quite cordial. Should they try to lift a hand against a single plague child, the entire city would suffer under the hands of their leader.

This was enough to quench all ill intent for good.

But alas...as all good times must come to an end, this one eventually departed.

The sound of drums and marching filled the streets. Even before it could be heard, it could be felt.

The simultaneous stompings of various men echoed through the earth like tremors of an earthquake. This was the wake-up call for almost everyone in Essen-Sei'O.

It was 5:00 am, but everyone in the whole town suddenly woke up all at once, as if an impetus had launched through them all. The eyes of Ora shot open. He would never allow sleep to cloud his vision as it did last time.

This time, however, the army that approached made no effort to hide their movements. In fact, they wanted the whole world to know of their approach if possible.

With each stomp they made the city trembled.

The sound of trumpets filled the skies and the sound of panic filled the streets. Before he could even react and get out of bed to open his door, his door burst open and everyone was awaiting his guidance.

"ORA!"

Rel shouted. On the other side of his door was Galtz, Rel, Alel, and every other plague children in the walls. They filled the castle doors and waited for what he was to say.

The ground shook underneath him as he tried to advance towards them. There was only one question that could come to mind. "H-how many?"

Gantz was the next to answer. "From my estimations... there are about.. one hundred and sixty."

Ora's eyes widened. Did he hear that correctly? one hundred and sixty...thousand?

The expression on Ora's face had everyone worried.

"Oi. Ora...should we begin an evacuation process?" Alel asked.

"I can actually disguise up everyone in this building with the cloak if necessary." Rel added.

Zephise raised his hands. "If we evacuate, how much time do you think we have to escape?"

"Heh, with an army of One hundred sixty zingy, they'd make fast work of this city and pursue."

"I see..." Zephise answered bitterly.

"Oi, kid. Tell me you've got something up your sleeve. This is dangerous amounts even for the Silver Knight. Your worried expression is giving me shivers."

"Eh? Oraa chaan isn't worried. Look! Look! He's smiling!" Sela said while hugging his leg. A strong surge of electricity traveled through his body, but he was unperturbed by it now that he was at full strength.

As everyone went to survey his face they realized the immense grin he had held. It was the look of a mad scientist just waiting to test something out. If there was enough room in these corridors, everyone would have taken several steps back.

"Ora...whatever you plan on doing, do it. In the meantime. I'm going to go out there and fight off against them. I have no doubts that you can handle them." He left the area and jumped through one of the small windows that perched against the wall.

This meant that he was on the outside of the city, ready to great the onslaught head-on.

Sounds of trumpets filled the skies as they got closer and closer and suddenly, the most imposing voice of all reached into the ears of everyone in the city.

"LISTEN WELL, VAGRANTS! YOU HAVE ALL DEFIED THE KING OF BEARIM, LORD RI'EN."

"THE PUNISHMENT FOR SUCH AN ACTION, TO DARE REPAY THE KING'S GOOD FORTUNE WITH VILE BETRAYAL....THE PUNISHMENT FOR SUCH ACTIONS.. IS DEATH."

The drums continued to beat heavily through the city. There was no mistaking it, everyone could hear the voice. Not just the citizens of Essen-Sei'O, but rather...everyone in Sei'O.

"DEATH THROUGH OVERWHELMING FORCE. THIS IS THE POWER OF LORD RI'EN. YOU PEOPLE OF ESSEN-SEI'O WILL BE THE FIRST TO TASTE IT."

As they speak the army was but 400 meters away from Sei'O. The villagers could see one lone warier outside of the gates, standing to face the incoming stampede of 160k men. They all recognized him as the head warrior. Though many cheered for his success, the cheers slowly hushed as they realized the odds.

Galtz was no Regalt or Kars. Everyone knew he stood little chance of fighting off against enemies of that quantity.

Many took to prayer to ease their final days into death. Others gave up entirely, wishing to just remain silent and close out all of the world before dying an abrupt death. The goal was to die before they had even realized they had.

 

Suddenly someone shouted something. "-The..the plague child!"

"The plague child!?"

"What was his name...he was reported to have killed all 3,000 men in less than a minute."

"Yeah? But who would believe that!?"

"You guys remember the screams that night! They lasted seconds before they all died. All at once!"

"There was no battle! He's the only one with the ability to stand up to them!"

"But really a plague child?!"

The shouts continued to rattle the streets as the sounds of drums came closer. 

"THE WALLS. LET US GO IMMEDIATELY!"

 

 

"Oi Ora, what's the plan? Are you able to take out that many, or should we evacuate."

Ora yawned. "This much people...."

"Is too easy."

Everyone felt a shock of relief upon hearing Ora confirm what they had hoped he'd say.

"Then we must act now before they reach the city itself. If they cross the gates, many people would die."

"No. Everyone will wait here, within the walls. I don't wish to help these disgusting people."

"Huh...y-...you can't be serious. Over hundreds of thousands of people will die horrendously, Ora!"

Ora's eyes pierced through those of Alel. To think he'd be hearing that statement from Alel herself.

"And so what? Do you know how many of us they watched die?"

"The way I see it, this place can finally become the sanctuary that Lynx and Amai had always spoken of."

Alel bit her tongue. She knew how much they hated her for existing. She knew how much they hated every one of them for existing. She also experienced the loss of so many other children he knew at the hands of the commoners. He could sympathize with Ora.

But still...she couldn't quite understand having the conviction to go through with those decisions. She didn't care enough to help them over Ora's words, but she was still quite perplexed at the lengths Ora was willing to go to.

 "Ora...when was it you changed so much? Right before our very eyes..."

 

 

3