26 – Greed
930 3 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Still Orto's POV

(My house's ceiling…) I thought after I opened my eyes awake.

"…" I tried standing but my body just didn't respond.

"Is anyone there?" I shouted in hope that someone is in my house.

There has to be someone here because I can see a bowl of water and a wet cloth in it beside my bed.

"There is. It's me, Zena. How are you feeling right now?" Zena, my co-worker asked as she opened the doors with a food tray in her other hand.

"As you can see, can't even feel my muscles. It'll probably take a few more days before I could walk again…" I replied as I let out a sigh.

"Yeah, that's what she thought, too," Zena said before feeding the soup she had with her.

"Who is she? And also, that soup is hot blow on it a little," I said casually after swallowing.

"That girl you that brought you home. It's kinda funny how you brought her home to take care of now she took you home to be taken care of," She said before shoving in another scoop of the soup without blowing on it into my mouth.

"Hot!- No! Right, where is Celes?!" I asked.

"… She left with an elf with her a month ago. She said that she will help her get back to her village. There's probably more to it but you should rest first before that. Your body is so thin that I almost didn't recognize you," She said before shoving in another scoop now rougher.

"What? A month? How long was I asleep? No, why did she decide to help that elf, and why does she know that elf? ALSO, STOP SHOVING THAT SOUP INTO MY MOUTH WITHOUT COOLING IT, IT'S H-" I shouted hard only to get multiple scoops shoved into my mouth.

"You were asleep for 6 weeks! Now stop asking questions and eat and recover quickly! I had to cover up for your work for more than a month without pay! Now that you're awake I'll have you do your best to recover and pay me back by doing my work for me too! Of course, during that your pay is going to me," I think I felt my spine shiver from what she said, was it my imagination?

**3rd person again**

"Was that the right thing to do? I'm happy that you're helping me but shouldn't you have at least talked to that guy?" Lory, the elf that was with Cess and Co asked Celes.

"You're talking to me pretty casually now despite refusing to talk to me for like 8 days now, huh. Also yes, had I stayed till he woke up I don't think he would have let me. I can always escape but this is better than doing so. Also, you better keep your part of the bargain," Celes replied as she focused back on her magic training. She's simply letting mana flow through her body though. Making sure that it's flowing through each fiber of her body except her hair.

"Is that so, don't worry we elves pay favors full. That doesn't mean that I trust you now though. Still, to ask for the best magician in our village as compensation, if you asked for something like treasures that would have been easier to procure,"

(That's right if I want to have something done, then I have to get stronger. That's why…)

*****

Celes' first-person POV

After waking up on top of the skeleton-like Orto, I carried the two of us to the exit of this place as I ignored the disturbing mess around us.

It was dawn and the sun was rising when we left the underground channels. Leaving from there was somewhat easy because there were no guards anywhere for some reason.

I thought maybe they had to use their whole force when fighting us so there wasn't any left. I saw some maids and butlers running around the mansion when we got out though. We ran into a handful of them but they didn't seem to care at all and focused on gathering whatever they were gathering.

After I left the estate while dragging around Orto, we made it to Eloc's bar.

Nothing much happened as they were all asleep on their own respective tables. I dragged Orto to his house this time. There, was no one. I locked the door. Laid down Orto on his bed and sat beside it. I didn't even know what to do as my mind was a mess.

I couldn't help but have doubts.

Why did I go so far for those people?

They are no ones to me so why should I go that far? I even almost lost my life.

Wasn't my goal to regain my emotion?

Is there any reason to stay here any longer?

There is… that elf…

I want to get stronger. Strong enough that nothing can get in my way to my goal. Strong enough to be able to easily best hardships. If so, then that elf. I could use her…

'Use?..'

Right, why help her if I won't be taking advantage of her. If it's the long-lived elves, then they're bound to have much knowledge of magic. Weaponry, even. I have to get a hold of that knowledge. Right, knowledge. Don't I have a lot of that too? I can exchange it with them for their magic. That way, I get trained and even have them favor me.

I have decided.

From now on all of my actions is for my goal. I'll use anything and everything. Be it good or evil. I'll use them all for I, me, and myself.

I'll help people and have them repay in full. I'll extort, even. So long as I gain from it and that my victory is guaranteed, then I won't hesitate.

I'm starting with you, Lory the elf. Then next is the people around you. Then your whole community.

That's right, why don't I fake a lot of troubles and save her every time? That way favors will pile up and she won't be able to refuse any of my demands.

Let the discussion be left for tomorrow. After everything is settled we leave immediately.

I will regain my emotions, and nothing is stopping me.

*****

39