Chapter 44: World Map
2.4k 8 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Can’t you just use-” Samira hesitated, “-use the book?”

Rick had already checked with the Lemegeton. But the powers of the Lemegeton was limited to what the inhabitants of the world knew. The arcane knowledge of sorcery, combat and medicine became relevant again, but the modern knowledge was rapidly becoming antiquated.

Since the Heaven’s Dictate changed so much of the world, there was a lot that even the Lemegeton could not compile.

“It’s not that simple. I will tell you about it later,” Rick assured her.

Rick picked up the map from his lap, his face brimming with excitement, he had scored an easy win.

Of course, it made sense for others not to bid for it as well. The map was not something that could increase their powers. It did not show dungeons or location of secret treasures and artifacts. The purpose of the Map was very simple.

[World Map]

A real-time updated geographical map of the world showing the features of a traditional map:

Additional Feature:

By paying a quarter of a Blessed Stone, the Map will show the approximate location of the designated person for five seconds on the map.

Since the map could not increase the strength of the Hero and with more than everyone had limited number of Blessed Stones, everyone was careful to bid only for something they truly needed.

Just as then, a large man stood up at the other end of the auction hall.

“Maya, you just gave the map away without even asking for others if anyone else wants to bid,” he said.

Rick looked trying to see who was the man suddenly trying to vie for the map against him. He stretched his neck to see a bald man sporting a thick moustache standing.

“He looks familiar,” Rick said stretching his neck.

“Really? I can hardly make him out from this far away,” Samira replied.

“That’s-” Rick started. The relaxed expression disappeared from his face. He growled, “That’s Hands!”

“I don’t know, he is too far off,” Samira replied.

“Even I am not sure. It’s been so long since then,” Jay added.

“I am telling you, it is definitely him,” Rick stressed. He did not know when, but the continuous crafting of runes and golems had increased his [Perception] stat and along with that, his eyesight as well!

“There could be other’s who might want to buy it. Are you being biased towards that punk,” Hands said.

“I- I am sorry,” Maya apologised. She slouched her back behind the desk, “This is only the first item. I- I am sure you wil- will get something good.”

“You have to ask him to return the Map,” Hand’s badgered on.

The crowd around watched with excited murmurs as Hands kept at it.

“But I have already given it,” Maya said in a soft voice.

“So? Just take it back. We can start again,” Hand’s said.

“Please don’t-”

“It’s fine. I don’t mind it,” Rick spoke from his seat, holding the Map out. “We can start the bid again.”

“Rick, don’t do it,” Jay held Rick’s outstretched arm. “Everyone knows you want the Map, if you restart the bid, everyone will just drive the price up”.

“Yea, I thought that too. Thanks, ” Rick replied with a smile but did not put his arm down.

“Miss Maya, I do not mind. You can start the bid again,” he spoke aloud.

The map floated up towards Maya on the stage.

“Thank you,” Maya replied with an apologetic smile.

The Map landed on the desk, hiding Maya completely behind it.

“We will redo the auction for the World Map,” Maya started after a moment and the crowd finally silenced.

“Just so that everyone here knows,” Rick spoke loudly, enough for everyone to hear. “If you raise the bid by even a quarter of a Blessed Stone, be ready to buy the Map.”

The crowd broke into a murmur again.

Why did he declare his plan aloud? Was it some sort of reverse psychology?

“Okay everyone,” Maya waved her hand and said. “We will start the bid at two Blessed Stones.”

The crowd begrudgingly became silent again. Just like earlier, nobody raised called the starting bid.

Slowly Rick raised his bidding paddle, “Two Stones”

After a moment of hesitation Hands raised the paddle, “Two and a half Stones”.

Everyone waited in silence.

“Three Stones,” Rick’s spoke in an irate voice.

Hands took a sigh of relief along with the rest of the crowd, all for different reasons.

“Three and a quarter stone,” a woman raised her paddle joining in the fun. Most of the crowd had realized by now that there was something about the map for which Rick was willing to pay.

“Three and three quarters,” Rick immediately raised his paddle again.

“Rick no!” Samira pulled his hand, but there was no stopping.

“Four and a half Stones,” Hands raised his paddle.

Everyone looked back at Rick, waiting for the next raise. The crowd continued to wait, but no bid came.

“I think you can hit the baton, we have a successful bid,” Rick said looking Maya in her eyes.

“Oh yes,” Maya suddenly realized. “Anyone else wants to raise the bid?”

“What? Wait, he will raise the bid,” Hands scrambled to his feet.

“I don’t think I want the map. You can have it,” Rick replied, waving his hand.

The level headed among the crowd chuckled at Hands’s misfortune, while the rest were shocked at the sudden turn of events.

“What do you mean you don’t want it?” Hands roared looking at Rick. ‘This was supposed to be my moment of revenge!’

Before he knew it, the map was floating before him and a screen came up before his eyes.

[Balance: 0.5 Blessed Stones]

“No, no. I don’t want it!” Hands said refusing to touch the map before his eyes. “I recall my last bid.”

“Once sold it is not refundable,” Maya replied with an evidently fake smile. She raised a violet stone and said, “The next item for auction is this Enchanted Stone”.

Nobody paid any attention to the distraught Hands anymore. They fixed their eyes back at the podium.

Rick’s group had already decided not to bid for the Enchantment Stone.

“Hey! Why did you stop bid for the Map?” Jay asked with the others listening in. “If you did not have the stones, I could cover.”

“No it’s not that, it was just not worth it,” Rick said, clutching on the Lemegeton in his pocket.

He gave away the Map this easily was because right as he had caught it, he had received a notification,

*Ding

[New information detected by the Lemegeton: World Map]

And a moment later, the second notification rang.

[World Map has been incorporated into the Lemegeton]

Rick looked at Hands sitting with the Map. He had finally had his revenge!

“We need to have a talk after this,” Samira leaned over and said.

Rick nodded his head yes.

“Sold” Maya called out from the podium, “for Eleven Blessed Stones.”

 

Please rate and review.

Let me know if you have any thoughts

Announcement
Join on Discord.
46