CH 31 – Treasure, Trouble
61 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The two boys started checking the shops and stalls one by one, looking for possible treasures. Most of the shops in the market are mainly opened by the disciples of the sect, so there is a chance to find hidden treasures. Not everyone is knowledgeable after all. 

The payment in the market is done with money, spirit stones or by trading with other treasured items.

Every pavilion has three elders, so there are three big shops in every one of the three markets. These shops are handled by their Direct Disciples respectively. Under the Direct Disciples there are Outer Sect Disciples working under them at minimum wages.

At one of these three shops in the Beast Pavilion market, Zhu Furong is observing a small, translucent, black rock kept inside a glass shelf. The rock is about an inch in diameter. Tian Su is also observing the other items in the shop.

"Brother, how may I help you?" A somewhat lanky, cheap clothed 15-16 years old boy approached Zhu Furong, smiling. He is one of the shop assistants and an Outer Sect Disciple.

"This... How much for this?" Zhu Furong asked while pointing at the black rock.

"Good eyes brother, this 6th rank monster core is priced at 250 low grade Spirit Crystals. You are quite lucky, it was just shipped yesterday, else it would have been sold by now." The shop assistant kept his smile.

"This..." With an embarrassed face, Zhu Furong asked. "Sorry to ask this brother, I don't have any Spirit Crystals, will gold coins do?"

"Sure. You know the exchange rate, just pay with gold coins." The shop assistant said politely.

"Guo Wen(culture)! Come here, what are you doing there? Serve this customer. Can't you see that's a poor guy. People like them only come here to gain experience but have no money to buy anything." A well dressed 15-16 year old boy, wearing yellow hanfu, sitting in a chair ordered the shop assistant serving Zhu Furong.

"But Boss-" Guo Wen wanted to say something while scratching his head.

"Are you the incharge here or am I the incharge here? Now shut up and come here and serve Brother Hao." The boy ordered Guo Wen with an angry look.

"Y-Yes." Guo Wen answered, then slightly bowed to Zhu Furong with an apologetic look then rushed to the so-called Brother Hao.

Zhu Furong didn't mind. Showing favor to certain customers is common in businesses. Zhu Furong just waited there.

"Brother Zuo, did you find anything good?" Tian Su arrived from behind after looking around the shop.

"Yes. I am thinking of buying this monster core, but I am not sure which beast it is from." Zhu Furong pointed to the black monster core inside the glass shelf.

Tian Su took a step forward and observed the monster core closely. "Hmm... As far as I know, there are only two black translucent monster cores out there. One is the rank 4 Black Fox and the other is the rank 6 Black Lion." Tian Su replied.

"The shop assistant said it's rank 6 monster core. So it should be from the Black Lion." Zhu Furong responded.

"I see." Tian Su stepped back after his observation, then he looked towards Zhu Furong up and down. Then rubbing his chin he asked. "I say Brother Zuo, as far as I know high rank monster cores are quite expensive, at least we middle class families can't afford it. You are not from some rich noble family are you?" He stared at Zhu Furong with bright eyes, waiting for his answer.

"Who knows." Zhu Furong just shrugged his shoulders mysteriously.

"Hehe, we will find out later." Tian Su smirked.

They both stood there waiting for a shop assistant to arrive.

"Are you sure you want this? It's only a rank 6 monster core. I thought you looked down on such things." Zhu Furong asked Zhu Xingzuo via divine sense.

"Little drops make the mighty ocean. In our current condition, the best source of Spiritual Qi I can get are Spirit Crystals or Monster Cores, that too only if they are of high grades and ranks. This rank 6 Monster Core is the lowest I can go. Lower than this and It's better to stick to absorbing Spiritual Qi from the air. Sigh!... Only if you will let me absorb that High Grade Spirit Crystal, sigh!..." Zhu Xingzuo sounded dejected.

Zhu Furong rolled his eyes. "That's kept for me. Didn't you say I will need it in the future? What will I do then if I give it to you now?"

"Sigh!..." Zhu Xingzuo only left a sigh.

Turning his head to Tian Su, who is looking here and there in the shop, standing in the same spot, Zhu Furong asked. "Ehem... Brother Tian, how much is 250 low grade Spirit Crystals in currency?"

"Hmm?" "Ah!" "Pfft... Hahaha..." Tian Su burst into laughter. "I see, I see. You don't even know the exchange rate of Spirit Crystals, that's why. I thought you were really rich, but it seems like you are just negligent." "No worries no worries, let Brother Tian Su teach you." Tian Su patted Zhu Furong's shoulder heavily.

Zhu Furong felt like kicking Tian Su's butt, but he held back his feelings. "Brother Tian, please." Zhu Furong gestured with his right hand for Tian Su to start his explanation.

Tian Su closed his fist, moving it closer to his mouth, he made the sound of clearing his throat. "Ahem..." "Listen carefully Brother Zuo, 1 low grade Spirit Crystal is equal to 2 gold coins. 20 gold coins are equal to 1 mid grade Spirit Crystal and 400 gold coins are equal to 1 high grade Spirit Crystal! Now you understand how expensive it is? You are thinking of buying this rank 6 monster core, it will cost you 500 gold coins, '500 gold coins' not '500 silver coins'!" Tian Su said the last line in a robust manner.

Zhu Furong blinked his eyes, lost in thought, doing calculations in his mind. After a while he blurted out. "So cheap."

"What?!" Tian Su asked with shock.

With a smile on his face Zhu Furong explained. "Isn't it cheap? 400 gold coins for 1 high grade Spirit Crystal, where will you find such a good deal? Leave this monster core, I gotta buy some high grade Spirit Crystals." Zhu Furong yelped in overjoy.

"Yes, yes. If we knew it earlier we wouldn't have held on to this high grade Spirit Crystal so dearly. Now I am gonna absorb all of it, hahaha...muhahaha..." Inside the Nine-Layers Pagoda Zhu Xingzuo is also in a jolly mood.

Looking at the over-happy Zhu Furong, Tian Su rubbed his eyes to make sure he wasn't hallucinating. "I say Brother Zuo, are you in your right mind? Have you ever seen a high grade Spirit Crystal? If it is the Purple Crystal, I can understand your happiness, even I would go insane if it's sold at 400 gold coins. But you are so happy just for a high grade Spirit Crystal? This rank 6 monster core is worth more than a high grade Spirit Crystal you know?"

Zhu Furong suddenly jerked and stopped laughing. "Huh? This monster core is worth more than a high grade Spirit Crystal? What rubbish." Zhu Furong retorted. Then he suddenly realized something. "Wait! You said Purple Crystal, what is this Purple Crystal?" Zhu Furong asked.

"Don't tell me... Sigh! And I was happy for nothing. Fuck!" Zhu Xingzuo cussed aloud. Just like Zhu Furong, Zhu Xingzuo also realized that something is not right. Things were too good to be true.

Tian Su sighed. "You really know nothing." He shook his head in disappointment.

"Well..." Zhu Furong rubbed his nose in embarrassment.

Tian Su pulled out a small pouch from inside his clothes. It's a Spatial Bag. Spatial Bag is cheaper compared to Space Ring as it has limited storage of 5 by 5 feet while a Space Ring can go from the size of a small room to the size of a planet. Though in the Lower Realm, the best Space Ring one can find is the size of two rooms. Zhu Furong was gifted one of those by Ming Lan.

One at least needs to be at the Qi Condensation stage to use space equipment as you need Qi to activate the said equipment. Even though Zhu Furong can use the space equipment thanks to his Heavenly Innate Body and special physique, he still takes help from Zhu Xingzuo to avoid the use of Spiritual Qi as much as possible. It's still not the right time to Cultivate Qi.

Looking at the Spatial Bag in Tian Su's hand, Zhu Furong commented. "You are rich, brother."

"What? No way! It is a gift from the family after I broke through to Qi Condensation stage, believe it or not it took the whole family fortune to buy this. Sigh!" Tian Su sighed with sadness. "I have to repay them in the future." He murmured.

Putting his hand inside the bag, Tian Su pulled out three small hexagonal crystals. A hexagonal, flat crystal, about 2 inches in diameter and half an inch in height, black in colour. Two of the crystals are kinda translucent and one is slightly translucent.

"These are Spirit Crystals, the more translucent ones are low grade Spirit Crystals and the slightly translucent one is a mid grade Spirit Crystal." Tian Su said.

He explained further without stopping. "2 gold coins equals 1 low grade Spirit Crystal, 10 low grade Spirit Crystals equals 1 mid grade Spirit Crystal, 20 mid grade Spirit Crystals equals 1 high grade Spirit Crystal. Understood?" He asked.

Zhu Furong nodded.

Tian Su nodded back.

He continued explaining. "I don't have any high grade Spirit Crystal on me but it is similar to these but is totally black. The transparency of these crystals show the purity of these crystals. The less translucent it is the more pure it is and hence have more Spiritual Qi."

"Purple Crystal is too rare and hard to come by. They are the highest grade of Spirit Crystal you can find. They go from 1 platinum coin to any asking price." With this Tian Su is done explaining.

"I see. Thanks for the information Brother Tian." Zhu Furong bowed with a salute.

"No worries, it was nothing special." Tian Su humbly accepted the gratitude.

"It's expensive." Zhu Furong said while staring at the monster core with a dejected face.

"Now you know." Tian Su said with a smug face.

Both kept staring at the monster core.

"So for the people in Lower Realm, the mid grade Spirit Crystal or what they call the Purple Crystal is the best Spirit Crystal they can find. Sigh!" Zhu Furong said to Zhu Xingzuo with disappointment.

"Yes. For us from the Upper Realm, Black Spirit Crystal is low grade, Purple Spirit Crystal is mid grade, Pink Spirit Crystal is high grade and White Spirit Crystal is supreme grade. But here..." Zhu Xingzuo lamented.

"Well it's good in a way. People here can't recognize anything higher than Purple Spirit Crystal, thanks to that we got our hands on the Pink high grade Spirit Crystal right? And that too a massive basketball size one." Zhu Furong consoled.

"Humph! Not us but you. It's all gonna be used by you." Zhu Xingzuo cursed.

"Still want it?" Suddenly Tian Su asked in a dim voice from the side.

"Still want it?" Zhu Furong asked Zhu Xingzuo.

"Yes." Zhu Xingzuo answered.

"Yes." Zhu Furong answered in a dim voice.

"Are you sure you can pay for this?" Tian Su asked in a dim voice.

"What do you think?" Zhu Furong answered in a dim voice.

Tian Su rolled his eyes and shook his head. "You are rich." He said in a dim voice.

They kept staring at the monster core.

"This way Senior Brother Hao." From behind came Guo Wen, escorting a tall, robust, yellow hanfu boy, probably aged around 17-18.

The tall man walked towards Zhu Furong and Tian Su with big strides and pushed them aside, standing between them. While playing with his chest hair which is showing through his open hanfu collar, he took a deep look at the monster core of the Black Lion.

After a while he nodded with satisfaction. "Good. I will take it." He said in a deep voice.

"Also." He pointed at a small, finger sized veil kept next to the monster core. "I will also take the blood essence of the Black Lion along with the core." He stated in a stern voice.

"Who the fuck keeps blood essence in such cheap green jade vial, such a waste. One should always keep precious treasures inside purple jade containers or in white jade containers if purple jade is not available. Anything other than these two can't keep the essence and energy of treasures intact. Such idiots!" Zhu Xingzuo raged inside the Nine-Layers Pagoda.

"I thought it's some cheap stuff since it's kept in such a cheap container, but if it's the blood essence of rank 6 spiritual beast, you should get it." Zhu Xingzuo said.

"I have to get it too? Things here are not cheap, you know?" Zhu Furong asked, kinda hesitant.

"Get it." Zhu Xingzuo answered.

"I will take them." Without waiting any longer Zhu Furong commented from the side.

The Senior Brother Hao slowly turned his head and with half closed eyes he looked at Zhu Furong. "Are you talking about my things?" He asked in a soft but deep voice. Threat clearly discernible in his tone.

"No." Zhu Furong shook his head.

"Humph!" One side of Senior Brother Hao's lips curved into a sneer. He turned towards Guo Wen ready to order him to get the Black Lion's monster core for him.

"I am not interested in your things but I want to buy this Black Lion's monster core and its blood essence. Brother Gao Wen, how much for these two?" From behind Zhu Furong's voice sounded before Senior Brother Hao could pass his order.

"Hey... Seems like someone has a death wish. Sigh!" Senior Brother Hao shook his head, dejected. He slowly turned back and started at Zhu Furong with a murderous look. He started exuding Qi from his body.

"Peak Foundation Establishment rank! Siiii..." Tian Su sucked cold air from behind Senior Brother Hao.

Senior Brother Hao stared deeply at Zhu Furong's eyes, Zhu Furong stared back calmly, unfazed.

"Good foundation. A mere Meridians Tempering stage doesn't feel any pressure from a peak Foundation Establishment rank. Good!" Senior Brother Hao praised Zhu Furong sarcastically but then jeered. "But having no fear doesn't mean you can pick fights with anybody you want. Piss me more and I will slap you to death. Humph!"

"Looking at your attire, you are not from our sect. Ah, yesterday was the selection trials for newcomers. Tch!" Senior Brother Hao kissed his teeth. "Hehe, but I'm not sure if you will be selected." He rubbed his hands viciously with a grin on his face.

"Oi, pack my things." He ordered Guo Wen with a bob of his hand behind his back.

"Y-Y-Yes." Guo Wen answered while stuttering. Unlike the strong physique Zhu Furong, Tian Su and Guo Wen are not that strong to stand the oppression of a peak Foundation Establishment rank with their early Qi Condensation stage. Especially Guo Wen, being from a poor background and not having a strong foundation compared to these people, he is literally shaking on his feet.

Taking Senior Brother Hao's order, Guo Wen rushed towards the glass shelf. With a key he opened the lock, took out the monster core and blood essence then took them to the counter for packaging.

Senior Brother Hao slowly strode towards the counter with his hinds locked behind his back. Zhu Furong followed without any hesitation but suddenly Tian Su pulled him from behind.

"Brother Zuo, leave it, it's better to not mess with these people. We are not even the disciples of the sect yet, no one will care if we die here." Tian Su whispered.

With a smile Zhu Furong whispered back. "You can leave Brother Tian, I need those things."

"Don't be so stern Brother Zuo, it's not good to act rashly here." Tian Su warned. "Also, do you even have the money to pay for these two items? Why look for trouble?" Tian Su insisted.

"Don't worry, I have enough money." Saying this Zhu Furong walked to the counter where Guo Wen had packed the two things by now.

"Still..." "Sigh!" Tian Su shook his head and followed.

Guo Wen stood inside the counter with the package on the desk, beside him is sitting the young man wearing yellow hanfu who is incharge of the shop and who ordered Guo Wen before to serve Senior Brother Hao.

Senior Brother Hao took out his Spatial Bag and from inside took out two small bags and pushed them on the desk. "Here, Brother Du, 250 low grade Spirit Crystals and 500 gold coins, confirm it.

Clink! Clank!

"Each bag has 500 gold coins, Senior Brother Du please confirm it, hope it's enough for the Black Lion's monster core and blood essence." Zhu Furong put down two large bags filled with coins on the counter next to Senior Brother Hao's small bags.

Senior Brother Du, who was about to check Senior Brother Hao's payment, stopped in his tracks. He blinked, lost.

Guo Wen and Tian Su have both of their mouths open, big enough to put a whole egg inside.

Senior Brother Hao made a face as if he had eaten shit.

"You motherfucker! What's the meaning of this." Roared Senior Brother Hao with rage.

Clink!

Zhu Furong put a small bag down beside the two large bags. "Plus 100 gold coins. Senior Brother Du please be quick, Junior Brother has to attend the results announcement, if I pass, I will visit you to pay respect later, hehe."

"You-you..." Senior Brother Hao raised his hand and made gestures of clenching and opening his fists, not sure what to do, how to let out the rage in his chest.

Everyone, be it people who come from outside or people inside the Sunlight Sect knows that it's not allowed to participate in any sort of fights inside Sunlight Town. Any grievances should be taken care of in proper battles under the watch of the Disciplinary Committee of the Sunlight Sect.

Senior Brother Du stared at Senior Brother Hao.

"What?" Asked Senior Brother Hao with his chest heaving up and down.

"Well you know the rules." Senior Brother Du calmly said.

"I know, I won't cause any ruckus here, but..." He looked at Zhu Furong as if he wanted to eat him. "Humph!"

"I am not talking about that. I am talking about the rules of Business." He pointed towards the bags kept on the desk. "The one who pays more will take the items."

Senior Brother Hao looked at the pile of bags on the desk, looked at Zhu Furong, made a grrr sound then put his small bags back inside his Spatial Bag. "I am Hao Bo(waves) from the Artifacts and Array Pavilion, you better not forget it." Saying this, Senior Brother Hao left the shop with heavy strides.

"You better prepare yourself for a hard life in the sect, Hao Bo is known for holding grudges even for the smallest grievances but at least he himself won't play any dirty tricks, not sure about his lackeys though." Senior Brother Du warned Zhu Furong.

"I am called Du An(peace) and you?" Senior Brother Du asked Zhu Furong.

"Zuo Rong." Zhu Furong answered.

"Hmm." Du An nodded. "I am here most of the time, if you can't handle something in the sect, you can come look for me. Help is available if you can pay the price." "Guo Wen, give him the items he paid for." Looking at Zhu Furong, Du An gave a soft smile. "It was nice doing business with you."

Getting out of the shop, both Zhu Furong and Tian Su walked towards the Outer Sect hill while looking at the street stalls..

"Hehe Brother Zuo-" Before Tian Su could say anything, he saw Zhu Furong rush to a street stall.

At the street stall Zhu Furong started picking the items displayed randomly, observed them then put them back.

After going through a few items and asking their prices he picked up a 5 inches by 3 inches rectangular wooden plank. The wood looks like some ordinary wood but it's so solid that even Zhu Furong with his metric tons of max grip strength can't make a slight dent on the wooden plank.

"You don't believe me? I am telling you this is a piece of Divine Tree, no matter how much strength you put on it you can't do shit to it with your measly strength." Zhu Xingzuo ridiculed.

"Of course I can't believe it. I have only heard of the Divine Tree in fairy tales and you are telling me this plain, ordinary looking piece of wood is from that Divine Tree!" Zhu Furong couldn't believe it.

Zhu Furong said with amazement, "According to the tales, the Divine Tree or World Tree is a holy tree which gives birth to worlds. It's a mysterious tree that holds immense power. It's the sign of life itself. Legends say that, drinking the sap of Divine Tree can even recover one from old age and make them young again and grant them immortality. It's no joke." 

"Pffft, the Divine Tree is not so divine as people make it to be. The Divine Tree can only be cultivated by the Spirit Race. It doesn't grant immortality or give birth to worlds. It's true that it's a tree that's the sign of life itself. In whichever planet a Divine Tree exists, that planet will never die of old age and will always be filled with life. Drinking the sap of the Divine Tree gives an immense boost to one's Cultivation but the whole tree works as a divine medicine that has no side effects no matter what. Also, the wood of the Divine Tree is one of the strongest materials to craft equipment. That's all." Zhu Xingzuo explained.

"It's still amazing isn't it?" Zhu Furong asked.

"Well, yeh, It's still amazing in its own way." Zhu Xingzuo answered.

"So what's so special about this piece of wood here, other than it being a part of the Divine tree?" Zhu Furong asked while fiddling with the small wooden plank.

"I am not sure, I have to check it." Zhu Xingzuo said.

"Hope it doesn't cost much, I spent almost all the money I looted during my journey on the monster core and blood essence." Saying this Zhu Furong asked the vendor for the price.

"Of all the things here you like a useless piece of wood. All it's good for is its sturdiness. Pay whatever you want and take it." The vendor didn't care.

Zhu Furong took out a good gold coin and flicked it to the vendor. The vendor happily took it.

Holding the wooden plank, Zhu Furong didn't move from his spot. He just kept looking left and right for about 10 minutes.

"What're you looking for? Who are you looking for? How long are you gonna keep standing here?" Tian Su who was waiting behind Zhu Furong couldn't keep his patience.

"Er... Haven't you heard, Brother Tian Su, 'trouble follows treasures.' Just like before in the shop. I got a treasure now so I am waiting for the trouble." Zhu Furong replied.

Tian Su rolled his eyes, he didn't know what to do, to laugh or to cry? "That piece of wood is a treasure? Fuck! Trouble my ass. What you did back at the shop is real trouble. Just wait till we get inside the sect." Tian Su cursed.

"We will be late for the results announcement if you keep fooling around like this. Let's go." Saying this, Tian Su grabbed Zhu Furong's arm and dragged him to the Outer Sect.

0