CH 55 – The Future Is In Your Own Hands
27 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Entering the hall, Zhu Furong noticed the whole family gathered here.

On one sofa is sitting a young man, about 20 years old with a lady in her thirties who seems to be the young man's mother. Behind them is standing an old man with two female maids and a boy who is about 16 years old.

Opposite to this group is a sofa where a beautiful young lady is sitting with her mother.

At the side, between these two sofa's is a chair where Zhu Bohai is sitting with other family members standing behind him.

All sorts of confectionaries and high class tea is served on a table kept at the center.

Looking at everything, it's matchmaking. The bride-to-be is none other than the first lady of Zhu Family, Zhu Fen(fragrance) who is now 18 years old, the same age as Zhu Ling.

If Zhu Furong remembers correctly Zhu Fen's father Zhu Tai wanted her daughter to marry Ming Zen or if possible any of the seven princes. But looking at the groom-to-be, Zhu Furong is sure he isn't one of the princes.

Zhu Furong approached a maid standing at the side and silently inquired about the groom's family and discovered that it's none other than the Duke's family. The groom-to-be is Ruan Long(dragon), the first Young Master of the Duke family. The boy standing behind him is the second Young Master, Ruan Heng(persistent). Both are born from the same mother, the legal wife of the Duke and the only sister of the Emperor, Ming Jing(gentle).

As Zhu Furong was quietly chatting with the maid, suddenly Zhu Tai called him from behind Zhu Bohai, "Is that Rong'er? When did you return? Come here."

Zhu Furong almost thought Zhu Tai was calling someone else but when he saw him smiling and nodding at him, he confirmed that he was calling none other than him.

"Ah, Rong'er is back? Come, come. You came at such an auspicious time. The Duke's family is here to see your elder sister Zhu Fen, come check the groom out." Fan Xin's mother, Xu Nuan(warm) called Zhu Furong jubilantly.

Zhu Furong had his doubts but now he is sure that he didn't hear wrong the first time.

'What is wrong with these people? Suddenly being so chummy and calling be Rong'er? Did they eat something wrong or are they just acting in front of the Duke family?' Zhu Furong thought before slowly walking towards them. Standing beside Zhu Bohai, he greeted the Duke's family politely.

After hearing Zhu Furong call himself the third Young Master of the Zhu Family, the anticipated face of the Duke Family turned nonchalant. They must be feeling scornful towards an adopted child but they did their best to hide their feelings behind a fake smile.

The talk between the family continued while Zhu Furong joined the rest of the members, standing behind Zhu Bohai.

"Younger Brother, how have you been?" Zhu Wei, the first young master of the Zhu Family asked with a warm smile. Standing beside him, Zhu Gang, the second young master of Zhu Family also greeted Zhu Furong with a smile making Zhu Furong confused as hell.

'I can understand if you want to show the Duke's family how much of a loving family the Zhu family is, but you don't have to act so polite with me when no one is paying any attention to us, do you?' Zhu Furong returned a smile, "I am doing fine, elder brothers."

The Duke's family left after lunch, fixing a date for the marriage. Zhu Furong returned to his room.

Entering his room, Zhu Furong noticed that everything was sparkling clean and well maintained. He laid on the bed, taking some rest, feeling nostalgic.

Near evening, Zhu Bohai knocked at the door and entered Zhu Furong's room.

Zhu Furong had fallen asleep after laying on the bed for a while. The comfort of home made him drowsy.

Zhu Bohai quietly walked to the bed, pulling a chair, he sat down and gently caressed Zhu Furong's head with a warm smile.

Zhu Furong smiled and slowly opened his eyes. He sat up on the bed, facing Zhu Bohai.

"How have you been?" Zhu Bohai asked.

Zhu Furong slightly opened his arms wide, "What do you think?"

Zhu Bohai looked at Zhu Furong for a while before nodding, "Just a little thin but rest is all good."

"What do you mean thin? Do you want me to become fat or what?" Zhu Furong opened his eyes wide.

"Seems like Sunlight Sect doesn't have good cooks." Zhu Bohai shook his head, dejected.

Zhu Furong has nothing to say.

Zhu Bohai frowned looking at Zhu Furong before asking, "When are you returning?"

Zhu Furong shook his head, "I left the sect. Not returning anymore."

"Why?" Zhu Bohai frowned, "Did something happen?"

"No. It's just that there's nothing to learn for me there—More like, there was nothing to learn there from the beginning. I just joined the sect because the time called for it. But now that the problem with the Nighthawk Assassins Organization is solved, I don't see any reason for me to hide there." Zhu Furong shrugged.

"That's true, but..." Zhu Bohai found it hard to say.

"Thousand Arms Sect?" Zhu Furong asked.

"So you knew?" Zhu Bohai asked instead.

Zhu Furong nodded, "I met uncle Zhu Da before coming here—That reminds me..." Zhu Furong took out the envelope Zhu Da had entrusted to him and handed it over to Zhu Bohai.

Zhu Bohai took the envelope and read the letter inside and kept away the letter, "Just some military matters. Seems like things are going well on the battlefield."

"So, what's your plan now?" Zhu Bohai asked.

Zhu Furong puckered his brows, "Before that, what is going on with the other family members? What's with this Rong'er all of a sudden?"

"Pfft..." Zhu Bohai escaped a suppressed laughter.

He patted Zhu Furong's shoulder, "Guess."

Zhu Furong looked at Zhu Bohai awkwardly before contemplating for a bit. "Did Ming Zen do something?"

Zhu Bohai nodded, "You are right."

After that Zhu Bohai described the events that transpired when Ming Zen came to Zhu manor after wiping out the Nighthawk Assassins Organization. How he threatened the whole Zhu family for the discrimination against Zhu Ling and how he almost killed Zhu Tai.

He sighed and looked somewhat sad, "He even made my first and third sons confess all their crimes, even... Even the planned murder of Zhu Shi and his wife Xun Qiu(autumn)." "Zhu Ling broke into tears after hearing this but still forgave them. But the least amount of faith she had in her two uncles was completely lost that day."

Zhu Furong put his hand over Zhu Bohai's hand to console him.

"Is there any news about them?" Zhu Furong asked. He is referring to Ming Zen and his party who are supposedly in hiding right now.

Zhu Bohai shook his head before puckering his brows, "That reminds me, the Empress wanted to meet you. Probably something related to Ming Lan and you. Since you are back, someone from the royal palace may come to escort you in a few days—You are not going anywhere are you?" Zhu Bohai asked.

Zhu Furong shook his head, "I will be here for a week. After that..." Zhu Furong looked into the distance with a blank but sad expression. As if he is troubled by something.

Zhu Bohai nodded, "It's alright. A man with ambitions shouldn't be caged. You probably want to roam around the world right? Go ahead." 

Zhu Bohai gently held Zhu Furong's cheeks, "But always remember, whenever you feel tired, you have a family you can return to."

The amount of familial love he has received from this old man is enough to make Zhu Furong forget all the regrets from his past life. He closed his eyes, indulging in the warmth of Zhu Bohai's hands, but a sudden emergence of Jiu Weici's face in his mind made him somewhat befuddled and he opened his eyes.

Zhu Bohai noticed the sudden uneasiness of Zhu Furong's and he also noticed that Zhu Furong has changed quite a bit from the past. He is not that playful like he used to be and the way he is acting is as if he is troubled by something.

Zhu Bohai stood up and sat next to Zhu Furong, embracing him in his arms, he patted his back, "Is something troubling you? If it's something you can talk about, I am always here to listen."

He then let go of Zhu Furong and grabbed his shoulders, "That's if you don't mind consulting with an old man like me." Zhu Bohai mocked himself.

"Grandpa..." Zhu Furong's eyes turned slightly moist.

He had suffered so much in his past life but where was anyone to console him? There was only Jiu Weici by his side, but rather than sharing his sufferings with her, Zhu Furong preferred sharing his happiness.

He is really troubled right now. His heart is in disarray after that bad dream a few weeks ago. He doesn't know what to do, how to proceed? He wants to gain strength as fast as possible but he himself knows that it is impossible.

Unless... Unless he picks an unorthodox path.

But then what about his conscience? Without a clear conscience he will definitely turn into an evil bastard— The day he meets Jiu Weici, will she be happy to see him like that?

Zhu Furong is in a dilemma. He is spending everyday in stress.

Zhu Furong looked at the concerned gaze of Zhu Bohai and his heart melted. He closed his eyes, letting a drop of tear slide down his cheeks.

He took a deep breath and started talking about his past life to Zhu Bohai, while the latter listened attentively.

The red sun soon disappeared and the moon shone brightly in the sky, night fell.

...

"I was a coward who decided to escape from my sufferings by committing suicide but I didn't realise that I may have made her suffer in my stead by doing so." Zhu Furong bit his lips with tears sliding down his cheeks.

"That's not cowardice, that's helplessness." Zhu Bohai wiped Zhu Furong's tears. "You have suffered." Zhu Bohai embraced Zhu Furong again, letting him cry in his arms.

"The past cannot be changed but the future is in your hands. Aren't you trying to go back to her?" He caressed Zhu Furong's head, "If your love is strong, your feelings will reach her no matter how far you are."

He let Zhu Furong out of his arms and wiped his face with a handkerchief, he smiled warmly, "Look at the bright side, you said you were weak and unable to protect anyone but what about now? What do you think?"

Zhu Furong hung his head, "I am still weak."

That was unexpected, Zhu Bohai didn't expect this answer, his face turned awkward with lost for words.

Zhu Furong took a deep breath and raised his head with eyes full of determination, "But that is only for now."

Zhu Bohai somewhat stuttered, "R-Right! Only for now. With time your strength will increase and the day will come when you will rise above the heavens." Zhu Bohai patted Zhu Furong's shoulder with a bright smile trying to cheer him up.

Zhu Furong nodded silently.

"Maybe the heavens saw your pain and decided to grant you a new life along with all the things you missed in your past life." Zhu Bohai consoled.

Zhu Furong shook his head in denial, "If the heavens really pitied me, it would have changed my past life to a happy one with the passage of time."

He spoke in a ridiculing manner, "Heaven never shows mercy to anyone. If you want something, you have to snatch it with your own hands." 

Zhu Bohai opened his mouth to say something but he then only sighed.

After a while he spoke, "You don't have to be so negative. Torturing yourself will do you nothing good. Think about the woman from your past life, I don't think she would like to see you in your current state. She may be waiting for you, but she definitely wouldn't want you to go through another life of suffering just to meet her. She will feel devastated."

He paused for a moment, "I myself, don't want to see you go through another life of suffering."

Zhu Bohai's words made Zhu Furong flinch.

Zhu Bohai looked out of the window, then stood up, "Look at the time, it's almost time for dinner. Go clean yourself, then let's have dinner together. Nowadays, the whole family eats together."

Zhu Bohai smiled, "At least something good came out of all those troubles." Saying this Zhu Bohai took a step towards the door but was stopped by Zhu Furong.

"Grandpa, do you really believe in what I said? Doesn't something like rebirth sound ridiculous? And also... My real age doesn't concern you?" Zhu Furong asked meekly.

Zhu Bohai sat back on the bed, "Well it would be wrong if I say I wasn't surprised. But that's all. I had somewhat of an inkling after I saw you that day fighting against the heavenly tribulation that you are not a normal child. The world of Cultivation is full of mysteries— If gods can exist, what's so weird about people reincarnating?"

"Also, what about your age? Even if you combine the age of your present and past lives, I will still be your grandfather, humph!" Zhu Bohai snorted.

Zhu Furong made an awkward look, "True." Then he frowned, "But, I don't think my rebirth can be called reincarnation. Reincarnation is something where people go through the circle of life, forgetting about their past and being reborn as a baby in a mother's womb— I on the other hand is more like an old man in a young body." Zhu Furong scratched his cheek with embarrassment.

"But there are also cases where people keep the memories of their past lives. Also, the age of a person is determined by the age of their bones, not their soul. Think about it. A beggar child is way more mature than a child born with a silver spoon because the beggar child has suffered from the hardships of life. But that doesn't mean that they are older than the rich child, are they?— You can just see the age of your soul as having more life experience than your peers." Zhu Bohai smiled.

Zhu Furong sighed, "I would feel blessed if you think that way."

Zhu Bohai snorted, "I don't think that way, it is that way."

Zhu Furong wanted to argue but Zhu Bohai's firm expression stopped him. Zhu Furong felt relaxed inwardly.

Zhu Furong puckered his brows, "But about the reincarnation part, unless a high rank Cultivator captures a body of an infant in their mother's womb, it is highly unlikely for a person to exist who is a reincarnate with the memories of their past life."

"What if I told you there exists someone who reincarnated as a child after their death but still have the memories of their past life?" Zhu Bohai raised his brow in question.

"What!? Who?" Zhu Furong asked with curiosity.

"Er..." Zhu Bohai suddenly seemed hesitant to speak as if he had said something he shouldn't have.

"Hey, Xingzuo. Do people like that really exist?" Zhu Furong asked with divine sense.

"Well, I have never met anyone like that in my past lives. But as Grandpa said, the Cultivation world is full of mysteries. Anything can happen out there." Zhu Xingzuo answered with uncertainty.

Zhu Bohai sighed, "Well, I think they won't mind if I tell you. Even if I don't tell you right now, you will definitely hear directly from them later."

"Them? Who? Do I know them?" Zhu Furong asked, confused.

"It's Ming Zen." Zhu Bohai spoke with hesitation.

"Ming Zen? You mean the second prince?" Zhu Furong asked with surprise.

Zhu Bohai nodded.

"Does Elder Sister Zhu Ling know?" Zhu Furong asked with a frown.

"Of course she does. After all, she is the one who told me about it. Also, Ming Zen himself informed me later when personally asking for Zhu Ling's hand in marriage. He said he was some Emperor rank Cultivator or something in his past life. He died while practicing some Cultivation art and reincarnated with his memories intact. It's thanks to those memories that he can Cultivate so fast in this life." Zhu Bohai replied.

"Elder Sister doesn't mind?" Zhu Furong asked with bewilderment.

Zhu Bohai smiled, "She said, what matters is the present not the past. We love each other and that is more than enough."

"Oh." Zhu Furong just uttered a single word.

"Well, it's her own life, she has the right to decide her life partner and as her grandfather I should support her choice." Zhu Bohai stood up.

Zhu Furong asked with hesitation, in a meek tone, "What about you?"

"Me? I have similar views as Zhu Ling. Moreover, I feel honored that you and Ming Zen think of me as someone dependable with whom you can share your secrets with. It shows how much faith you guys have in me. Honestly, it makes me somewhat emotional and happy at the same time." Zhu Bohai smiled warmly, "I feel like a grandfather who is being loved by his grandchildren." "It assures me that I have people looking after me in my old age." He joked.

"Let's end our chat here. It's getting late, others must be waiting. I ordered for no one to disturb us before coming here." Zhu Bohai walked towards the door before stopping. "Ah, about Ming Zen. Only me, your Elder Sister and Princess Ming Lan knows about it. So make sure to keep it a secret."

"Sure." Zhu Furong affirmed before getting off the bed.

"Also Grandpa, about me..." Zhu Furong scratched his cheek with his index finger, "I will leave the decision to you."

Zhu Bohai nodded, "Well, even if I tell someone, it would be your Elder Sister and Fourth Uncle. I don't think anyone else in the Zhu family deserves to know." Zhu Bohai opened the door and walked out.

Before closing the door he looked at Zhu Furong and grumbled, "Hey, cheer up will you? I will find your wallet."

"Wallet?" Zhu Furong looked confused.

"Didn't you lose your wallet?" Zhu Bohai frowned.

"No." Zhu Furong answered, somewhat lost.

"Then why are you making that face?— You return home after four years and all you do is cry like a child in their mother's arms. Do I look like a mother to you?" Zhu Bohai snorted.

"Er..." Zhu Furong doesn't know how to answer.

"Wash your face and come for dinner." Zhu Bohai ordered before leaving.

At last Zhu Furong smiled a bit before cleaning himself up and joining everyone at the dining table.

...

'Aaaaaa...' At night, Zhu Furong shouted at the peak of his lungs, but in his mind.

Zhu Xingzuo shattered the other arm of Zhu Furong's Spiritual Body. The practice of Nascent Soul Tempering stage continued.

1