CH 7 – Disciple
158 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Several days have passed since Hei Hai criticized and scolded Furong.

Things have calmed down by now and the four individuals, Hei Hai, Bian Chao, Furong and the Behemoth Egg are all having a peaceful chat in this dark void.

"Young man, have you calmed down?" Surprisingly Hei Hai asked in a gentle tone contrary to his character.

"Yes Sir Demon God I am alright now." Furong answered.

"Good. It would have been quite a disappointment if you kept sulking. There would be one less man to talk with. And after all these years... I will feel regretful." Hei Hai said with a warm smile. Again contrary to his character.

Standing next to him Bian Chao shivered. He got chills running through his spine watching Hei Hai.

Hai Hai noticed this and defended himself. "Brother Bian even I have a heart. It's not like I am always looking for troubles with others. I also know when to show sympathy and kindness."

"Blergh!..." Bian Chao retched with disgust.

"Don't, please don't. I Bian Chao can accept even if the Heavens fall down on my head but you Hei Hai acting like this... It just makes me puke with disgust."

"Er... Fuck!" "How dare you Bian Chao? You think I won't fight with you? I will whoop your ass even if it's the last thing I do." Hei Hai raged.

All the peaceful atmosphere vanished into thin air thanks to these two brutes.

"Hey... I don't mind you two fighting to death but at least get me out of this void before you turn into nothingness. I can't take it anymore staying in this barren place filled with debris and junk. Sigh!..." The Behemoth Egg complained.

"Ah don't worry kid, we will make sure to get you out of here as soon as we accomplish our goal. We promised, didn't we?" Bian Chao consoled.

"I hope you two will keep your promise, I am waiting for billions of years for that day to come." The Behemoth Egg sounded disheartened.

"Ah! You guys are leaving?" Suddenly Furong's surprised voice sounded.

"Ah yes. But it's you and the Behemoth Egg that are leaving, not us." Bian Chao answered.

"Me and the Behemoth Egg?... Why? What about you guys?" Furong asked.

"We..." Bian Chao didn't know how to explain.

"Ehem!... Young man, it's not like we don't want to get out of here but we don't want to." Hei Hai answered from the side.

"Why? Also what will I do after leaving this place? I don't think I can even live for a second out there without a Physical Body. If I am not wrong it's this Nirvana Life Seal that's preventing my soul from dispersing to Netherworld for reincarnation right? What if the seal stops working once I get out of here?" Furong argued.

"That's right but don't worry about it, this seal is far stronger than you think it is. As I said before, I don't know all the functions of this seal. You will be alright. Also-" Hei Hai said.

"Young man, even if we say we want to get you out of here, it's you who will decide in the end. If you don't want to then we will not force you but still we hope you will agree after listening to us." Bian Chao cut in.

"Umm... I still don't understand what is going on but I am listening." Furong said.

"Good. But first tell me, young man, what do you think of us?" Bain Chao asked.

"What do I think..." Furong sounded confused with the question.

"Ehem! I mean what do you think we are? Not 'who' but 'what'." Bian Chao asked the tiny red flame with a warm smile.

"Er... Didn't you say you two are gods? And behind that is a Behemoth Egg? What else will I think?" Furong answered with confusion.

"You really are a dimwit, we said it and you believed it? No wonder you got played like a fool by your own brothers and clansmen." Hei Hai mocked.

"Hey! What are you doing? Just shut your mouth! I am a fool to ever expect your mouth to spew gold rather than shit!" Bian Chao scolded Hei Hai.

"You..." Hei Hai pointed a finger at Bian Chao with rage.

"You what?" Bian Chao glared back angrily at Hei Hai.

"Cough! Cough! You two calm down." Behemoth Egg spoke. "Also it's Demon God's fault."

"Urgh!... Humph! Sorry." Hei Hai unenthusiastically said.

Then contrary to his character he turned towards the tiny red flame and bowed, surprising everyone present.

"Sorry young man, I went too far." He apologized properly.

There is a sign of respect in Bian Chao's eyes for Hei Hai, probably for the first time in his life.

"Aha! Raise your head Sir Demon God, there's no need for someone like you to bow your head to a trash like me. I am quite adapted to being cussed at anyways." Furong said with embarrassment.

"Well, I may be a ruffian or a brute but even I have a conscience. What's wrong is wrong, I should apologize. Also young man, others may belittle you but you should never belittle yourself. Probably this trait of yours is also one of the reasons for your demise." Hei Hai sternly said.

"I understand." Furong respectfully said.

Hei Hai and Bian Chao both slightly nodded their heads in response.

"Now let's get back to my previous question, young man." Bian Chao said.

"Ok... Let's see..." Furong thought for a while then began to answer.

"As Sir Demon God told me before, he is a Spiritual Body. But according to my knowledge Spiritual Bodies are not supposed to be this huge, the size... Ah didn't you say I am the size of an almond? Yes! According to what I have read in the books the Spiritual Body which is also known as the Nascent Soul is the size of a grape which is similar to an almond!"

"But well, since you said you two used to be gods with great Cultivation in the past, I think it's just some sort of Martial Arts technique right?"

Furong then clicked his tongue. "To change the appearance of an almond sized Spiritual Body to that of a human size... I never imagined such a feat was even possible!" He admired.

"As for Sir Spirit God... I am not sure. All I can see is a young man in white hanfu. He looks exactly like a handsome, smart scholar."

"He has been somehow trapped here just like the Behemoth Egg I guess. As for why he still looks so young even after a billion years... I guess it's another mysterious Martial Arts technique... Right?" Furong asked with enthusiasm.

"Er..." Both the gods were lost with what to say.

After staying quiet for a while Bian Chao broke the silence.

"Ehem! Young man, our looks indeed have something to do with our prior Cultivation Rank but there is no Martial Arts involved." Bian Chao said in a slightly embarrassed tone.

"Ah! Forgive me two gods. As you know I am quite an ignorant person." Furong said in an embarrassed tone.

"It's fine, it's fine, we don't mind. Also it's my fault to ask you such questions in the first place. You were just a Core Formation rank Cultivator before you died, of course you will lack knowledge regarding these things. My bad my bad." Bian Chao admitted his mistake.

"I am kinda sorry too." Furong said with embarrassment.

"Well leaving that aside, young man what do you know about Cultivation Ranks?" Bian Chao asked.

"Ah? Cultivation Ranks? I am embarrassed to say I don't know much about it. I always tried to find out about the higher Cultivation levels but my clan excluded me from most of the important information." Furong said.

"Ah it's fine. Just tell us what you know. No need to feel embarrassed." Bian Chao smiled.

"Ok, let's see..." Furong ran through his brain.

"First is 'Body Preparation', then 'Meridian Opening and Qi Condensation', then 'Foundation Establishment', then comes 'Core Formation', after that 'Revolving Core', then last one I know is 'Open Ascension'."

"Now that I think about it, it's also this Open Ascension rank where one forms the Nascent Soul right? But then how did I, who was just a Core Formation rank Cultivator, formed a Nascent Soul? Is it also because of this Nirvana Flame Seal?" Furong asked.

"Well it looks like nothing much has changed in human Cultivation Techniques even after billions of years." Bian Chao said.

"Yes, it's true. I also remember it being the same back then." Hei Hai confirmed.

"Also young man, what you call a Nascent Soul is the core of the Spiritual Body where the essence of soul is gathered. It's like a pure form of Soul Energy. In the Open Ascension rank you only form a rough shape of Nascent Soul. It's the Divine Transformation rank where you form a perfect Nascent Soul because of which you open your Divine Sea and gain Divine Sense." Hei Hai explained.

"Ah right! I also read something about Divine Sense. If I am not wrong it's a technique which lets you spiritually perceive your surroundings and also talk telepathically right?" Furong asked.

Then suddenly. "Ah! Wait a minute, why can I perceive my surroundings and-and I think I am talking with you guys telepathically right?" Furong said with shock.

"Aaa... You are right. I also found it weird at first but it must have something to do with this Nirvana Flame Seal." Hei Hai said. He also sounded confused.

The two gods both got immersed in their thoughts about this mysterious phenomenon. They were absent minded right now when...

"Ah!" Furong suddenly yelped, scaring the shit out of the two gods and Behemoth Egg.

"Bastard! What is it? What are you yelling for you fucker!" Hei Hai cussed Furong.

"Ah I can see my Spiritual Body, but it's not as I thought. Tsk!" Furong sounded disappointed.

"What? What's different?" Hei Hai asked.

"Umm... You see, I thought my Spiritual Body would just look like a miniature figure of my Physical Body but... But it's kinda like a smoky figure with no distinctive facial features. How do I say it... It just looks like a man made up of smoke." Furong sounded confused.

"Well, what do you expect after almost burning your soul to nothing during self-destruction? You should already be glad that it has a human figure and not just a puff of smoke." Hei Hai mocked.

"Er... Right." Furong embarrassingly agreed.

"Well it's better this way, it will make things easier later." Bian Chao commented.

"Ah that's right." Hei Hai agreed.

"Umm..." Furong is confused about what these two are talking about.

"Ehem! Talking about Cultivation Ranks young man, I thought I would share my knowledge with you but on second thought..." Bian Chao changed the topic.

"You may have heard this idiom, 'knowledge is good but knowing too much can become a sin'. It means you should only know how much you are supposed to know, knowing more than needed will only cloud your decisions." Bian Chao sternly said.

"This idiom is significantly true for the martial world. You may also have heard the term 'Qigong Deviation', some also call it 'Heart-Demon'." Bian Chao inquired Furong.

"Yes I have heard of Qigong Deviation." Furong answered.

"Well it's nothing but the repercussions of not following the idiom." Bian Chao said.

"If you may explain it a bit more Sir Spirit God." Furong respectfully asked.

"There's nothing to explain, as I said 'knowing too much is not always a good thing, it will only muddle your mind'." Bian Chao warmly smiled.

He continued. "Let's take an example. What do you think will happen if a Cultivator at Open Ascension rank goes to a mortal and tells him about his Cultivation Rank and its merits? 

"After all, someone at Open Ascension rank is basically an immortal in a mortal's eyes. After forming a Nascent Soul one can survive even without a Physical Body. Well, it's not a hundred percent certain but if the Nascent Soul can find a suitable body later before it depletes out of Soul Energy, it can regain a new life in another Physical Body right? Which is basically immortal!" Bian Chao said.

"Now what will the mortal do after knowing about this? He will also want to achieve immortality right? There are many Cultivators out there who have achieved Open Ascension, then why can't this mortal do it? After all, all this mortal has to do is to Cultivate and the mortal can achieve immortality right?" Bian Chao asked Furong.

"Ye-Ye-" Furong is about to answer but...

"Wrong!" Bian Chao answered his own question.

"Do you think Cultivation is as easy as plucking apples from a tree? Cultivation is going against the Heavenly Laws. It's basically challenging the Heavens itself. How can it be so easy?"

"There are a multitude of factors that decide if one is suitable for Cultivation or not. Teaching a pig to fly is what idiots do."

"Even if you are born with a silver spoon in the mouth or born with a body perfect for Cultivation, none of these matters in front of the mighty Heavens. If the Heavens do not want you to reach the peak, all your efforts will be in vain."

"If it's so easy to climb the ranks in Cultivation you yourself wouldn't have been just a Core Formation rank Cultivator after living for 25 years. Even if you were not highly talented, you should have been capable of reaching the peak stage of Revolving Core rank by age of 25."

"So knowing about the higher Cultivation Ranks will not help you with your Cultivation, but only will make you more anxious. You will get frustrated when you can't rank up as you expected and the high Cultivation Rank that you wanted to achieve will only look more distant and impossible to reach. As a result you will lose self-confidence and succumb to your Heart-Demon or so called Qigong Deviation!" Bian Chao explained.

"Also... if my instincts are not wrong... Your poor performance in Cultivation has something to do with this Nirvana Life Seal." Bian Chao sternly said while gazing at the tiny red flame.

"What?!" Furong is shocked to hear this.

"Well I also feel like it. It's also just an instinct." Hei Hai said.

Then Hei Hai added with a stern voice. "Young man, never underestimate the instincts of Cultivators who have achieved great success in Cultivation and are at a fairly high Cultivation Rank. Most of the time these instincts are spot on and in our case... After sitting at the position of Demon God and Spirit God for millions of years, our instincts have never been wrong."

Bian Chao slightly nodded with confirmation.

He asked Hei Hai. "But why would a mother do such a thing to her own child? Isn't it ruining his future? Also... If the seal is really the reason behind his poor Cultivation..."

"Hmm... I know what you are worrying about but after hearing the young man's life story isn't it clear she did this for his safety?" Hei Hai asked Bian Chao.

"You think so?" Bian Chao asked back.

"Isn't it?" Hei Hai mumbled looking thoughtful.

"I think it's true." Suddenly Furong's voice sounded.

"Why do you think it's true?" Bian Chao asked.

"Well, I don't think there's any mother out there who would want to harm her own child on her own accord. My mother must have done this to keep me safe from any dangers which may follow after her death. After all, a bright light attracts too many moths. And the way my mother died..." Furong grieved.

"That's correct! Young man, you have become wiser after conversing with me over these past few days." Bian Chao nodded with a smug smile.

"If what the young man says is true then there's really more to this Nirvana Life Seal than we know." Hei Hai murmured with curiosity.

Bian Chao rolled his eyes and asked Hei Hai. "Will the seal still hinder him during Cultivation after being reborn?".

"That... May not be true." Hei Hai shook his head.

"Didn't the mother place these restrictions to keep her child safe? But now after he had almost died once and also as he is no longer among those dangerous clansmen of his, the seal shouldn't act up right?" Hei Hai tried to find a good reason.

"Also... The young man never thought of becoming a great Cultivator when he was alive. He just wanted to live a normal and happy life. Maybe that also triggered the seal to restrict his Cultivation. What do you think?" Hei Hai asked Bian Chao.

"Sounds reasonable." Bian Chao nodded.

"Well leaving all these aside. Young man, what do you think about becoming my disciple?" Bian Chao enthusiastically asked the tiny red flame with a warm smile.

"Disciple?..." Furong sounded confused hearing something so unexpected all of a sudden.

"Ah not only mine, both Hei Hai and I want to take you as our common disciple." Bian Chao corrected himself.

"Aa... Umm..." Furong got more confused.

"No!" Suddenly Hei Hai sounded.

"What? No? You don't want a disciple anymore? Or you think this young man is not good enough?" Bian Chao asked Hei Hai with surprise.

"Er... That's not what I meant... I... Ehem! I want him to be more than a mere disciple. I want him to be the inheritor of my legacy!" Hei Hai dropped the bomb catching Bian Chao off-guard.

"Wha-What did you say? Inheritor? For real? I mean are you serious?" Bian Chao asked with utter shock.

"What are you so surprised about? I may have only wanted a simple disciple in the beginning but after waiting for over a billion years it's better to just get an inheritor for my legacy." Hei Hai answered.

 He then said in a low but stern voice. "After all, we are going to vanish after this anyway. Don't you want to leave your mark behind? Maybe there are still our people living out there somewhere waiting for our return. Who knows how things turned out after our death."

Bian Chao looked sad, he hung his head and murmured in a low voice. "That's true."

"Umm... Two gods..." Furong meekly said.

"Ah young man, after thinking about it, I take what I said back." Bian Chao quickly got out of his grieving state.

He gently smiled at the tiny red flame and said. "I don't want to be outdone by Hei Hai so I will also take you as an heir to my legacy. What do you think?" 

"Er... Sorry but I am kinda confused with what is going on..." Furong sounded sorry.

"Ahaha!... It's fine, it's also our fault to act so mysterious." Bian Chao said with a smile.

"You see, we just wanted to know you a bit better before deciding if we should take you as our disciple or not."

"You may not have been some great figure when you were alive nor may you have been a Heavenly Genius but you were a good man. You were generous and kind-hearted. Even though you suffered from many hardships and discrimination, you never gave up! Things may have turned for the worst in the end but that's just Heavens playing with your life."

Then Bian Chao gazed at the tiny red flame with a stern face. "Above all, you have the most important thing a great Cultivator should have. Clear Conscience!"

"Clear Conscience? Hehe... You overpraised me Sir Spirit God. How can someone like me have a Clear Conscience?" Furong mocked himself.

"My heart is filled with hatred and remorse. How can someone like me have a Clear Conscience?" Furong questioned.

"You do!" Bian Chao sternly said.

"Who doesn't hate the people who hurt them? Who doesn't hate the people who betrayed them? If you don't even retaliate for the injustice you suffered, can you even call yourself a living being? You will be nothing more than a dead person!"

"But..." Furong mumbled meekly.

Bian Chao sighed. " I know what you are thinking, but let me ask you, do you regret it? You did what you thought would be the best for her at that moment. You only wanted her to be happy. You did nothing wrong. You only went for the best choice you had within your power."

"Even if you gathered all your courage and fought your Elder Brother for your little maid, do you think you would have succeeded? No! It would have only ended in both of your demise."

"You also knew it didn't you? That's why you decided not to ask her anything discreet."

"You decided to end your own life so she will forget about you and may live her life happily"

Bian Chao sighed. "You may have misunderstood her, you may have disappointed her, but even in my opinion it was the best thing you could have done in that situation."

"If given another chance, you will still do the same won't you?" Bian Chao asked.

"Yes." Furong answered in a mournful tone.

"Do you regret it?" Bian Chao asked again.

Furong stayed silent for a while...

"I do." He answered.

"Good. You should." Bian Chao surprisingly praised Furong.

"This is why I said you have a Clear Conscience. It's not about revenge or remorse. It's about having a clear judgement of what's wrong and what's right!"

"After what you did to the little maid of yours, if you said you have no regrets then there wouldn't be any man more shameless than you." Bian Chao said with a stern face.

"But what's the use of having regrets, it's not like I can make any amends. Sigh!..." Furong sighed.

"You can! Why can't you? Aren't we talking about you and Behemoth Egg getting out of here? After getting out of here you will have all the time in the world to make your amends." Bian Chao warmly smiled.

"I don't think it will be that easy!" Hei Hai poured cold water.

Bian Chao gave him an angry look making Hei Hai feel guilty.

4