9: Companions
462 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Later the next day, as Czarynah was silently lamenting about her forgotten birthday (third year in a row) she realised something. Although she had given that nightingale to Oryn, she hadn't found a chance to give Al his albatross (Al's albatross =>). 

Actually, when was his birthday?

While the small girl was pondering over that matter, she had spilt some of the water she was pouring into her glass. Sighing, Saryhn appeared from behind to help fix the mess. And as the adopted heiress stepped aside, Czarynah mentally thanked the Lord for sending her this angel and Saryhn herself for helping her with that accident afterwards.

Czarynah had noticed that Saryhn was staring at a certain hazel-eyed man-servant more often recently, and suspecting that she had intentions of marrying, Czarynah was always hinting that saryhn could practically do anything she liked, whether that was to buy a horse or elope. 

Since Saryhn always blushed whenever she mentioned 'elope', she was pretty sure that she'd hit it head-on.

Because people didn't date, just courted or married if that didn't do, Saryhn was going to have to act fast if she wanted to end up with both that dude and a stable future. No point losing him to another with a broken heart.

And talking about engagement, Al was slowly but steadily growing disapproving of Czarynah crossdressing, so maybe he would break their engagement? Hopefully, he will.

"Be more careful, Czarynah!" Saryhn lightly knocked the young heiress on her head.

"Okay, okay." came the replying pout. Yifei Zhao had also been a very clumsy person, always dropping water bottles and tripping over thin air, and it seemed that trait was hereditary in the sense of reincarnation.

We really will come to show ourselves, haven't we?  Even if we've strayed a bit.

Al would be the perfect fairytale prince, Oryn, Charon and Ellis either shy or cold tsunderes, Xeb and Kai the yandere players and Lyllah that supportive character that would give up her own happiness for the heroine. And Courtney will be the spoiled, annoying lolita, Opal the much more difficult cunning and elegant rival, and Czarynah ...

I have no idea what I will become. What could I have been? Oh, Yifei Zhao asked the same question. If only you knew the outcome of the paths you choose. But one mustn't forget, others face the same situations. Our choices and their reactions to our choices ... 

Sighing once more, she was just sitting on a random bench that she had wandered to (as she was still fleeing from boredom) when Al jumped on her again.

"Hello, Ah-Fei~" Holy - where did this weird new trait come from? He never jumped the heroine in the game!

"Al, if you do that, my health will be at risk." She said, stone-faced.

He just chuckled, and Czarynah understood why so many girls had already fallen to his charm, although the image was ruined by the situation.

"Hold on, I needed to give you this!" She dug out the silver bird she had prepared that day after Oryn had received his buddy, a proud little albatross chick in contrast to Oryn's timid nightingale. Czarynah had installed the same wing-format on him, but instead of a musical mimic vocal format, she'd used her new idea of a limited human voice (it sounds like a crow speaking French but yeah).

Exposing the avian to sunlight, she explained. "Since you're going to get a lot of paperwork being the responsible prince and all, this little buddy's going to be there to remind you of the time, so you don't forget." Al was really poorly portrayed in the game since they never bothered to delve deeper into his personality.

A fascinated silence descended as the two ten-year-olds waited as the albatross come to life within the sun rays, resting on Al's outstretched hands. Watching the small creature shake its head, Czarynah smiled, looking up to see Al's reaction.

But he wasn't watching the albatross.

His eyes were trained on her, tears racing down his stunned face. Fumbling about while quietly panicking, Czarynah unfolded her handkerchief to wipe his face. Oryn had sported the same reaction, not too long ago.

"You brothers really are similar," she mumbled. Turning to face Al directly, she spoke louder. "Are you sure you're alright, Al?"

"Yes," he attempted, smiling ruefully, sincerely. His voice was shaking. Clearing his throat, he spoke in a steadier tone. " I am."

"Looks like you needed that. Letting things like that build up isn't good, you'll snap." She stuffed another handkerchief into his hands as the bird opened his mouth.

"Seven-forty, " a mechanical voice croaked. "it's seven-forty."

The pair froze, before rushing to stand up. Czarynah jumped to her feet, pulling Al along.

"Come on, we'll be late!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Czarynah's first two years at the Royal Academy of Irlande swept by like a dream - not too memorable, but definitely there. 

During the winter breaks, Czarynah taught Lyllah and the main capture targets to ice-skate ("'I can rest when I'm dead' is not good enough of an excuse, Al!") across any frozen water surface she could find, often resulting in someone eventually falling in and the gang being cooped up altogether somewhere warm near a fireplace with Czarynah serving her trademark hot chocolate.

In the summer half-terms, Czarynah led her friends around the Nahmayhn mansion, introducing new animal species and first-aid training to Lyllah's softer noble hands, with plenty of barbeques and ice cream eating competitions and brain-freezes. 

Autumn brought races in the rain and through windswept amber leaves, along with new companions for Oryn's nightingale Sheen and Al's albatross Zephyr; competitive peregrine Agreni for patient Xeb, graceful heron Aaida for sweet Lyllah, and wizened owl Yuuma for over-crowded-by-fangirls Charon. 

Spring term was sharp, and the combat training and self-defence lessons lead by Fernander and occasionally Serphyne Nahmayhn were relentless. Grynnwalfus was building up to be like Browynfir, both often found lecturing Fernander on his mini waterfalls and procrastination on paperwork.

And so, two years flew by.

But as time passes, people change. And change they did.

Oryn was that shy little brother that would turn out unexpectedly attractive, Xeb was breaking a dozen hearts a day, Charon that exasperated tsundere and Al the slightly strained fairytale prince. Lyllah was the ever-supportive best buddy, and Opal and Courtney grew distant too. Even Saryhn married and moved away, and Grynnwalfus took on her position as Czarynah's butler.

The main characters were growing closer to their destined roles and personalities. But some things were certainly different from the Otome game. 

For example, Al had gained a hidden, darker twisted side that was inexistent in the game, surfacing once when serious conflict arose between himself and other authorities. Oryn also had an 'on stage' version of himself, serious and charming with his music, while Xeb was sharply intelligent and Charon far too bittersweet for his age.

They all had their weird little quirks and habits as well.

But the one thing they all wanted was coming true, and that was the change from uniform to the dress code. Lyllah wanted to change to wear more flexible clothes, Xeb wanted to change to 'dress to impress', Charon wanted to change to mute his appearance down, Al and Oryn had to change to get used to royal designs, and Lyllah wanted to change to drop her 'cross-dressing', as she would then be able to dress ungendered (if that's even a word).

But the two years passed so quickly and peacefully that it was almost suspicious, like the calm before a storm. And it was one evening when something possibly shocking happened.

The day had been slow, as the group were all individually preparing for the oncoming return ball (and Czarynah's test will finally take place), so the atmosphere was a little strained.

And it was this strain that broke Lyllah's facade, ultimately.

Lyllah had revealed just moments ago that she was being bullied, by the very people Czarynah had known for being kind - Jasmine and Namida. This had been going o for quite a while, but since nothing of the sort had been mentioned in the game, it hadn't even occurred to Czarynah that there might be a reason why Lyllah was quieter around the two girls.

At the moment, Czarynah and Lyllah were arguing outside, Lyllah on the brink of breaking into tears, while Czarynah was furious.

"You've been my friend for two years, Lyllah! You need to tell me things like this!" Czarynah shouted across the rapidly darkening courtyard.

"I'm sorry, okay! I just want t-to see my b-brother a-gain-n!" Her voice broke off, cracking at last. Czarynah could only hold her best friend together as she broke apart.

It turns out, this is not just a game. Not anymore.

Raising her head to the night sky, she looked past the far-too-bright moon, smiling wearily when she spotted the big dipper. 

"Hey, pine tree," she whispered.

Her sister's favourite poem sprang into her mind, leaving one phrase hanging.

After all, who still counts the stars, when the moon shines so brightly?

Truly, who does?

A/N I'm very sorry, the next one might be better. I'm still a child, humans, don't criticise a kid so harshly!

7