4. Textile Therapy
1.4k 5 87
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dad had to leave before mom was back from shopping, and I found myself laying on my bed staring at the ceiling as I tried getting my head around everything that happened, everything I'd been told.

It was unbelievable, literally. Like I could hardly believe it myself and I experienced it. I had to pinch my arm now and then to be sure I wasn't just dreaming or something.

I wasn't even sure what was more unbelievable. That I turned myself into a girl in my sleep, or that my dad turned herself into an attractive young nurse because she got bored of being a strong tough firefighter guy.

My thoughts were finally interrupted as my phone buzzed with a new text. I picked it up and saw the time was just before one in the afternoon. Then I swiped it and opened the messaging app, and found were actually a couple texts from Kelly.

The first was a reply to my text from this morning, it looked like she wrote back when I was downstairs having breakfast with mom. That was just saying she was fine and asking what was up. Then she texted again when I was asleep, to wish me a happy birthday and ask how come I wasn't at class. And the one she just sent now asked where was I and if everything was ok.

I stared at my phone for a couple seconds as I wondered what I should tell her.

My heart started to race a little as I tapped out a message, "Sorry. Crazy stuff going on today. Just between you and me, what would you do if I told you I was a girl and my name was Melody?"

I didn't have to wait more than ten seconds for Kelly's response. "OMG Seriously?!?! You're not shitting me are you? If you're serious you know I'll support you 110%! You go girl!"

Before I could react to that she texted again, "Are you actually out? Or just questioning? If you're out is it just to me, or out-out? Have you talked to your mom?"

I smiled and wrote back, "Talked to mom and dad. They're both calling me Melody now. She/her pronouns. Not sure if I'm out-out tho."

A few seconds later she texted me a series of emojis that clearly conveyed the fact that she was squeeing loudly. She followed that up with "So how come you're not at school today?"

"Bunch of crazy stuff here," I texted back. "You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

Kelly responded, "Ok Melody - I'm changing your name in my contacts btw. Gotta get to class now, ttyl!"

That left me feeling both happy but also a bit nervous. I'd just come out to one of my best friends, she was excited and happy and supportive. But she didn't know the whole story yet, and I had no idea how it would go later on.

Then there was Craig, and I was still on the fence about how he'd react. He said he was an ally and stuff, but he was also a bit clueless. Like he might mean well but that didn't stop him from screwing up.

Eventually I realized I was hungry again. I got up out of bed and headed down to the kitchen, and ended up making myself a sandwich for lunch.

I was about halfway through that and a can of cola when mom got back. She was carrying a couple shopping bags from the discount place, and she came into the kitchen to check on me.

"How are you doing hon?" she asked as she set the bags down on the counter. "How was your visit with your dad?"

After swallowing the mouthful of ham and cheddar I was working on, I looked at her and stated "My dad is an attractive blonde girl named Alison who could pass as my big sister. I'm having a little trouble getting used to that?"

Mom sighed and got herself a glass of water, then sat down at the table across from me.

"I'm sorry Melody," she said in a sympathetic voice. "I know it's a lot to take in. This whole day's been difficult for you, hasn't it? Not how you expected your eighteenth birthday would turn out."

"That's the understatement of the century," I replied. Then I finished my sandwich while mom sipped her water.

When I was done I gulped down the rest of my cola, and finally asked "So is that the real reason you and dad split up? Because she turned into a girl?"

She sighed again, then admitted "Not exactly. Your dad and I... About a week before we got married, he told me the truth, told me what he really was. And he warned me that he probably wouldn't be able to stay the same shape indefinitely, that after a few years he'd start itching for a change. I didn't believe him of course, but he demonstrated. It freaked me out, and I almost called it off right then and there? But I loved him and he loved me. So we agreed to try and make it work."

I frowned, "Dad said to use she/her pronouns when she was a woman."

"Sorry hon," Mom grimaced. She had another sip of her water then continued, "Your dad and I managed to make it work, for almost a decade. We had you after our second year together, and things were perfect. Then when you were five or six, she started getting that urge. She managed it for a couple more years, she'd do changes to herself that were subtle enough nobody noticed. Some of that was even kind of fun, it brought a little spark back into our bedroom..."

"Mom!" I acted a lot more shocked than I really was, and I had a little smile on my face as I told her "TMI!"

She blushed, "Sorry hon. Anyways, that worked for a couple more years, but in the end she had to change. She didn't go straight from your dad to Alison, after she left us she was a middle-aged secretary named Sandi for about six years. I think she found office-work too boring though, so now she's an ER nurse named Alison."

Mom sighed again and shrugged, "Who knows what she'll do next? It's... Whatever she looks like on the outside, she's still the person I love inside. There's obviously differences, a new name to go with the new appearance, and some of her mannerisms and style change to match. Along with her pronouns. We're still friends though, through all of it? I still love your dad for who she is on the inside, regardless what she looks like on the outside. But obviously there'd be an awful lot of questions if we tried to stay married every time she changed."

I found myself staring at her, all this was just more impossible unbelievable stuff ontop of the rest of the day's craziness.

"How do you..." my voice trailed off as I wasn't even sure what I was trying to say. "How do you deal with it? Like knowing your spouse is a shape-shifter, completely changing who they are whenever they feel like it?"

Mom gave me a sympathetic smile, "It took me a while hon. And I don't expect you to get used to this instantly, but you will. I know you will."

I frowned and stared at the table, then sighed "I don't know. I feel like I'm going crazy."

She got up and moved around the table and gave me a hug, "I'm sorry hon. It'll be ok. How about we have a look at the clothes I picked up? Maybe that'll get your mind off the difficult topics for a bit?"

I hugged her back, but I couldn't help commenting in a slightly sarcastic tone, "You figure trying on the clothes you bought for me because I suddenly turned into a girl overnight will help get my mind off how crazy my life suddenly got today?"

"Yes," mom stated. "Maybe it's cliché, but you're my daughter so new clothes will definitely make you feel better. At least it works for me."

Hearing her call me her daughter gave me another flutter of joy, and I realized she was right. I was excited at the prospect of trying on some girls clothes, and eager to see how I'd look in something other than the old t-shirt and shorts.

Mom and me took the two bags up to my bedroom and got the outfits and everything sorted out on my bed. She'd guessed the sizes, and most of the clothes were loose or stretchy so the fit wasn't that critical. There were only a few things where she'd had to buy multiples in different sizes, and whatever didn't fit would be returned later.

The next hour or two were spent with me trying on different things, with the first priority being finding what fit and what I was comfortable in. Style or fashion was a lower priority for now.

Still, the whole process actually turned out to be a lot more fun than I expected. I used to hate trying on clothes, I hated clothes shopping in general because I hated what I looked like. Now it was fun and I felt cute, trying on new things was an enjoyable way to spend the afternoon instead of a depressing chore to get over with as fast as possible.

In the end there were a few things in the pile to be returned, there was a pair of sneakers that were too big and a couple tops that were too small and a pair of pants I just didn't like.

There were lots more 'keepers', including the outfit I ended up wearing. I was currently in a pair of pre-faded blue stretch-jeans, white and pink sneakers, and a loose long-sleeve pink v-neck top made of a really soft delicate fabric that felt amazing against my skin.

Under that I was wearing some plain white panties and cute pink ankle socks. And a white bra that didn't quite fit right but it was close enough for now. That was actually the most embarrassing part, my mom had to help me figure out how to get the bra on and get it comfortable and stuff. And once it was on she had a closer look and figured out what my actual size was, so we'd get it right next time we went out for clothes.

Along with the outfit I was wearing, I had a couple pairs of leggings, more cute socks, a couple more pairs of panties, and a couple more cute tops. Mom didn't get me any dresses or skirts which made me sad, but she explained she didn't want to buy too much to start with.

"Now that you have some clothes that actually fit, you can come with me next time and pick out what you want for yourself," mom said with a smile. "And we have a better idea of your sizes, so it'll be easier finding things that fit you."

There was a wide grin on my face as I thought about that, then I blushed. "I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to clothes shopping! That's it, I've officially lost my mind."

Mom smiled as she looked me over, then commented "You look really happy hon. And you look good. I know it's been a lot today, but it can't be too bad when you've got a smile like that on your face."

"Yeah," I blushed. "I mean, it's crazy and unbelievable and stuff? But I'm also really happy. Like... I don't know? I've wanted to come out for almost a year now, but I've always been too scared of how people would react? I wanted to be out, to transition, to change my name and everything, but I was too scared to do any of that. Now it's all happened at once and part of me is still freaking out about that? But at the same time I'm really, really happy. And the way you've just accepted stuff and been so nice and supportive and everything... I can't even describe how big that is."

There were tears in my eyes again at that point, and mom moved forward to pull me into a hug.

"It's ok hon," she said softly as she held me. "I'm sorry you had to struggle with that on your own, I'm sorry you were scared to talk to me. Like I said this morning, you're my child and I love you no matter what. And I hope you understand, you can always talk to me. I'll always be here for you Melody."

I sniffed as we held each other, and it took me half a minute to find my voice. Then I finally responded in a half-whisper, "Thanks mom. I love you too."

If you're enjoying our work and you'd like to support us, please consider joining our patreon & get early access to new chapters! Patrons have already read chapter 11 and you could too!
https://www.patreon.com/purplecatgirl

87