Chapter 13: Small goals
588 6 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Having walked for several days now, I have been feeling rather lost. Sure, my plan was to simply hang around long enough to see things and read as many stories as possible. However, that was a relatively long-term plan. 

With what I was doing at the moment, that being walking and looking around, I could tell that I would soon fall into depression from a lack of purpose or routine.

Though my body was admittedly more divine than human, my mind was still that of a confused teenage-ish human. While my mind was quickly adapting to my improved body, it was certainly not doing so fast enough. My body had the capacity to operate entirely without sleep with enough faith or belief energy built up, however, my mind could still and would still experience the mental strain associated with lacking sleep.

Long story short, I needed goals. Small goals.

Perhaps, I should start and finish one of my many books before the end of the week. Or... I could attempt to locate and pick up enough fallen coins to amass a total of 100 pounds by the end of the month. Maybe I should...

Suddenly, something rather interesting caught my eye.

I found myself in front of the British Museum. A building that I recognised only because I had searched about it on Google in the past.

Though the building did look rather grand built with Greek architectural style and all, that was not what stopped me in m tracks. 

It was the rather thick and dense strings of fate connected to it that had left me speechless. These strings, no chains of destiny seemed to wrap the entire museum, something or someone really wanted something to happen and this museum was part of it.

I cracked a smile as widely as I could.

" Interesting..." I whispered.

" [Invisibility Wrap]" I said as I cast my spell. A thin barrier was erected around me rendering me invisible.

Flexing the wings on my back, I flapped hard and started flying over to the closest " chain of destiny". Carefully, I flicked my rather long serpentine tongue to taste the energy in these "chains".

Unsurprisingly, it tasted natural. The world, the universe wanted these events connected by these chains to happen. Only the universe could possibly make fate so... strong.

What I wanted to know was, what are these "fated" events and when do these events occur. 

" How exciting!" I nearly shouted and started to giggle like a child who had found a new favourite toy.

Quickly, I landed and retracted my large wings. The people around me knew not why the winds were so strong today, they could not fathom that there was a cute Dragonoid goddess flying above them.

I continued to giggle for a while before I finally calmed down.

Taking a deep breath, I tried to focus... only to start giggling uncontrollably again. After all, I was being silly again.

There was no need to be serious about this new thing, I had plenty of time after all. Time was something that I wanted to burn.

Conjuring a chair, I set it down and sat on it. Then, I sent out compulsion waves to ensure people didn't walk into me. I was sitting in the middle of a walkway, after all. Next, I conjured a notebook, on its cover the title, A little goddesses affairs, could be read. Setting the notebook down on my lap, I slowly drew the museum and how the strings were attached to the museum.

I made sure to do so slowly and carefully to make as detailed a drawing as possible. I was trying to find a pattern, with strings of fate, it was notoriously difficult to find the origin or the direction of the strings. By finding a pattern it would be easier for any good god of fate to figure out what a string or a group of strings of fate do or what events they dictate. 

However, any good god of fate would also make it as difficult as possible to find these patterns.

Luckily, the universe wasn't exactly sentient in the ways most people think it should be, I should be able to find a pattern sooner or later.

 

Soon, night fell. Smiling a little I took a look at my nearly half-done drawing and decided to get some rest. I had long figured out the pattern, however, I had decided to continue drawing. I wanted to finish the picture. 

Either way, I have realised that the strings were somehow related to a number of other countries, Rome, Egypt, America and Greece. Mostly Greece. 

Obviously, I quickly concluded that it had something to do with the respective pantheons of gods from all over these countries. I planned to visit these places after I finished drawing, perhaps I could talk to some of the gods there if they exist. Personally, though I was connected to the large web that was fate and destiny and could probably figure out who was connected to it too, I did not want to do so. As such, I will figure out whether they exist by trying to meet them in person.

They probably do exist though. There were too many "ports" for the web of fate, in other words, fate and destiny magic users. It simply wasn't possible for there to be that many human casters, therefore there must be other gods. I just wondered which gods were real. After all, many gods had myths that clashed with or disproved other myths of other gods.

Apollo can't be riding the sun chariot across the sky if Ra was supposed to be the sun god, right?

Maybe they took turns or something.

Slowly, I opened a large portal into my personal library pocket dimension and stepped into it. There, a comfortable bed was already conjured. One that I had used the nights before. I had concluded that sleeping in the mirror dimension was stupid when I had a perfectly safe pocket dimension which only I could enter at my disposal.

Lying on my bed, I let myself drift off to sleep.

" Huh, time in stories moves pretty quickly when there is little dialogue," I whispered as my eyes closed.

23