Chapter 32: A pet?
3.7k 15 66
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Apohis snake, or should it be called a cobra? She waited patiently for Novem to leave the room so she could get closer to me in an inquisitive manner; I tensed slightly but soon relaxed; this little friend, despite her age, is quite naive in my opinion.

I took a deep breath and knelt down. Apophis' vertical pupils narrowed in her eyes like ruby orbs but she did nothing, her black scales seemed to absorb the light from the cages and her cobra head made her look majestic despite her small size, but I did not let my guard down, I was ready to defend myself if the need arose.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Lady Apophis," I said cheerfully, but continued, causing the snake's head to tilt in confusion. "I came here to save you," I said.

Apophis towered over herself like a king cobra, and I was about to back away in fear of her bite, but instead she stuck out her tongue and savored the air like any other snake while studying my expression.

I was somewhat confused by her silence, but after a couple of seconds, I froze as I remembered a scene from the book.

When Apophis was in battle against the protagonist, she seemed to react to emotions such as fear. I had forgotten that snakes can sense their surroundings with their tongue, in this case I was almost sure about Apophis being able to sense a person's mood by doing the same.

Before it was too late, I tried to think of soothing and real things to calm my heart, like clouds or the like, hoping that whatever she could do wouldn't be as advanced as mind-reading.

She moved closer, squinting her eyes and tilting her head for a split second in confusion. She was so close she could almost lick my nose with her tongue sticking out.

Apophis after what seemed like an eternity, she took one last taste of air before asking a single question. "Why?" she asked, her telepathic voice perplexed.

"I know the future, Lady Apophis. I know your mother, and I know you will be killed in the future by someone blessed by the same individuals who assassinated your mother." She tried to detect a lie by tasting the air, but I knew she couldn't because what I said was true. Well, almost true, but slightly distorted. "I know how to avoid it, which is why I'm here to save you; you don't deserve that fate." I gave Apophis a smile.

"What was my mother's name?" Apophis asked.

'Eh, I don't know that' But I couldn't say that, so I simply said the first thing that came to my mind when I thought of the world snake.

“Jormungand.”

Apophis was visibly perplexed, but she said something. "I can't trust strangers." She moved her head. "I don't need your help."

I intervened before she could begin to slide. "I'm no stranger; I know your mother." ‘I sounded like a kidnapper’ I ignored that thought and gave her my most sincere look. "I don't want someone I know to be killed by a blessed child."

"I can defend myself, I am powerful."

"Not with your sins; they'll drive you insane if you don't control them." I quickly explained and went on. "Not only can I help you with your sins, but the blessed child is also my enemy; if we work together, we will be unstoppable." I extended my hand. "Just bond with me. You won't regret it."

She moved a little closer, seemingly interested. "Why should I trust you?"

"Because in the future, if I don't take care of the blessed child I will also suffer, we have things in common, Apophis."

I removed the 'Lady' from her name on purpose, removing her superiority now that I knew she didn't have her mother's memories, maybe she did, but if I kept calling her mom and talking so childishly it was certain I hadn't unlocked them yet, I just had to close this deal and gain her trust while she was still young, and I'd have a pet that could destroy a kingdom if I let her grow up.

I slowly stretched my hand towards her flattened head because Apophis was only stalking me while tasting the air with her tongue and making a cute noise with her tongue.

When I tried to pet her, she arched her back and bared her teeth like a scared cat. Her fangs were dripping with black liquid, which was terrifying, but I didn't care because she was already mine. I simply smiled at her, and she immediately stopped snorting.

"I will never hurt you, Apophis, nor will I betray you." I said softly, my hand an inch away from her cobra's head, waiting for her to take the final step.

She blinked her red eyes a couple of times and savored the air before lunging forward, her head to my hand and wriggling into my touch like a kitten, the little cobra now closing her eyes and melting into my touch.

‘Easy’

I wasn't sure at first, but after a brief discussion, I knew exactly how to persuade Apophis. I only had to show her that I was trustworthy. She may be a divine beast, but she is still almost as naive as a child; surely seeing her mother murdered by people she trusted was a trauma, and I had to take advantage of it.

People who are distrustful are difficult to deal with, but not for someone who knows exactly what to do.

+10000 affection points.

'Huh? Isn't that a lot? Besides, I can also see the affection of animals?'

[She is not just any animal, she is a divine beast. She also has humanoid form, only sealed].

‘Huh? humanoid form? why?' I asked, but I already knew the answer. Ero-world. I put that aside. 'Even if you say that, I can't see her information besides buying in the system.'

[It's for her current form, if she turns into her humanoid form you should be able to see her].

Apophis slithered into my hand and curled around my wrist as I spoke to the system. As she crawled up my arm, the soft, cool scales on her abdomen tickled me. This was not my intention; I simply wanted to touch her, but she appeared to interpret it as an invitation to come up. I was on high alert for any indication that my plan had failed. It wasn't anything new these days.

When it got to my neck, it curled softly and stayed there. "I won't hurt you if you don't betray me." Apophis confirmed, but her voice became more docile as she continued. "You're not going to betray me, are you?"

I brought my hand to her head and stroked it gently. "I won't betray you, I swear."

Apophis closed her eyes with pleasure. "Then I won't bite you."

"That sounds very reassuring when you're near my neck like that." I said sarcastically.

Apophis mentally sighed, and I noticed her little figure squirm until her muzzle was in front of me. She then stretched her body and licked my forehead lightly with her forked tongue. It was a cold touch, but it slightly burned.

[Temporary family bond established]

" Done." Apophis said. "We take care of the child and end the bond."

I nodded with a smile. "Of course."

When the snake seemed to fall asleep I mentally scoffed. 'Heh, gullible.'

Apophis' voice came to my mind. "You taste like happiness and mockery, did something happen?"

I checked myself before I could screw up with the divine being. "I merely mock our enemies, Apophis."

"They're screwed, for sure." She mocked, her soft, childish voice sounding content. She then slept with her head on my shoulder.

I shook my head as a curvaceous figure emerged from the shadows, her shameless stalking. "Young master, that was definitely something." Novem stated.

I shrugged. "Let's get out of here; we've already squandered too much time."

(***)

The teleportation stone transported us to the second floor; one more and we'd be able to exit. Novem quickly dispatched the guards while Apophis slept. Finally, we arrived at a location that did not resemble a nuclear bunker. We arrived at some stairs leading up and, by the way, the double door that closed with steel bars the place, which had to be the entrance to something important.

Novem approached me as I was inspecting the cold steel door, "Young master, how are you feeling?" She inquired.

"I'm doing fine." I lied, my skin was pale, and I was dizzy from the shadow dimension. "I believe I can hang on."

Novem nodded suspiciously, and I sighed, but it was a little too soon. "He's lying." In our minds, we heard a voice. Apophis blinked sleepily, her tongue tasting the air around me. " His vital force is being corrupted."

Novem's black eyes shone with concern. "Is it dangerous?"

Although I didn't want to worry Novem, I was curious about what Apophis meant, so I let her speak. "It is not lethal, has very little corruption, and only causes fatigue. He'll pass out." Then she rested again, her cold skin tickling my neck, but she spoke again, unconcerned about my slight shiver. "Érebo is that mean."

"Who?" 'I asked, curious.

"Mom's friend, he's made of shadows." She replied in a sleepy voice.

Now I knew it was that being I had seen when the dimension of the shadows rejected me, Erebo, and because of its connection with the serpent of the world, it was probably a god, if I had to guess, the god of the shadows.

I was familiar with the gods of this world, but I never expected the god of death to pay me a visit. I was not sure if he had something against me, probably not since if so I would already be dead, but the fatigue was getting worse.

"Plans have changed, Novem." I exhaled a sigh. I didn't feel safe in the shadow dimension with a god rejecting me from his domain, so I would avoided it. "Let's see if we can get out without using the shadow dimension. If it's not possible, go through the other side and assess the situation, then return here if you can't handle it. got it?"

"Understood, Young Master."

We looked around, the path illuminated only by a shiny opaque stone —possibly due to a flaw—The only options that came to mind were too noisy alternatives.

"That leaves only plan B." For the umpteenth time, I sighed. I gently petted Apophis, and she opened her eyes slightly. "Would you please join Novem on the other side, Apophis?" I inquired cautiously.

She would undoubtedly be of assistance, but her poison is lethal to any human, even a transcendent. She's probably still not that lethal right now, but she could be useful.

Apophis savored the air and perhaps sensing my concern nodded. "Yes." She closed her eyes, before adding. "But I'm sleepy, and hungry."

I reached out my hand and caressed her soft skin, the texture of which was very pleasant to my touch. "I'll feed you right after we leave." I said it lovingly, but on the inside I was laughing.

"You taste like contempt." Apophis commented looking at me with narrowed eyes.

I pushed those thoughts from my mind and made my excuse. "It is directed toward our enemies, Apophis."

Apophis wrapped her snake-like body around my neck like a hug, and a smile appeared on her snake-like face. "Indeed, heh. Insignificant beings."

Novem looked at us strangely as we had an embarrassing telepathic conversation with Apophis; we looked like two children conspiring, despite the fact that one was a reincarnated adult and the other was as old as the earth, albeit naive from hibernation.

66