1867 Octobre Calare
32 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
1867, Octobre. Calare
A shrill voice of a child refused to obey the silence in Calare that night. Hidden in the storeroom of a Mercantile’s Casa, the girl sniffed and cried. The light of the full moon through the small window through the concrete walls made the red sores on her fists even redder. At the dead silence, her whispers were a scream resonating even across through the dead gardens of the Casa.
The doorknob clicked and the girl's emerald eyes gleamed as she limped to stand up and wiped her face clean with her skirt.Opening the door was a maid holding a white veil.
" Is Papa not angry anymore?"
The girl looked up at the maid as they both stood still by the doorway facing each other.
" I was only instructed by the Signor Cuore to tell you this," the maid said.
"You are to never go out this room from now on."
"Why?"
" Because the outside is dangerous."
" But we used to play outside with Oleon."
" And Signo Oleon will also be sent away for study at a given time."
The girl balled fists around her skirt and blazed a gaze at the older woman
despite her tears. "Papa is angry at me, is not it?"
The maid refused to meet her eyes. She refrained herself from kneeling to
meet her level lest the child take her father's words lightly. The Signor was
nowhere in sight at the hallway leading to this room. The Signor's presence had been a flitting ghost for the past few days. He will not even want to see the girl's face. His absence was grace. If it was he who would talk to this girl, such cruelty.
The maid heaved her breath and forced the blank white veil on the little one's
head. There was inaction, ultimately resistance, then again came submission.
"You are to wear this veil at all times," the maid said. "Orders of the Signor."
"Can I put this away tomorrow?"
"No, not ever."
"Why?"
The maid knelt to the child's level for her face was now covered. " Hush. "
She pulled a finger over the girl's lips. " There are many things one ought to
never understand."
1