1877. Isla Domicillia, Tanawa
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 
 

The girl dashed out on the solid, path outside. She reached the bridge after a few minutes. Running through the bridge would cost her about five minutes if she was fast enough. She braced herself then ran under the dark of the night on the empty bridge. 

She stepped out of the low stairs connecting the bridge to the mainland. On her left and right was the concrete wall and a few sparse, functioning streetlights. There are no people or constables patrolling the area, but she wanted to made sure. When it was clear, she proceeded to walk towards the Plaza. 

“You know, you can always use the gate.” 

Of course, how could she forget. This man’s business is always to interrupt. The shadows obscured his face but his noisy way of walking and his singsong accent gave him away. His constable pin glimmered in the chance the moon became visible. 

“Let me guess, Your boss kicked you out of the station for the night.” 

“No. You’re sorely mistaken, Lea! I am patrolling the place. I ensure the safety of the angels in the Hospicio!” The man proceeded to puff up his chest and speak in a bigger, louder way. What was off-putting at least was how he attempted to imitate the brisk, straightforward and businesslike accent of the people in the capital. 

“They sent a Piede Constable. To guard the dearest angels” 

“A Constable.” 

“The foot constable.” 

The man ceased his flexing,” Ok, you win.” He sat on the concrete railing separating the river from the walkway and flexed his large, bulky legs on the path Lea is about to walk on. 

“Piede Constable Rocco Marasigan!” Lea huffed. 

“ Azalea Lehmann?” 

Lea sighed. 

“We should not upset the Madam again. She was worried sick” 

Lea would have already closed her ears at this point. She was grateful over the roof in her head, but staying in the Hospicio will kill her. 

“I thought we are alike and that you’d understand.” 

“Look, I don’t know what you want to do. I sure know it is important, well, with the way you always jumped over the gate it sure is a big matter. But Lea, don’t you think-” 

“My brother was killed” She grit out. “And the constables are useless.” She marched on, whether the constable had plans of stopping her, there was no care. 

A few paces later, Lea encountered something strange. It was a bundle wrapped in white laying on the grass just a few steps out of the trodden path. Whatever must be inside was too big and shapely to be a hunted animal. A lock of wavy hair peeked from out of the cloth. It was enough to make her scream. 

The constable rushed by her side so she pointed at the bundle. As the constable proceeded to inspect the bundle, she hoped it was not a corpse. Not another messed up thing to add on her memory. 

The man exclaimed, “Wait, Lea. I can’t handle this.”He was averting his eyes. 

Lea looked and there before her was a girl wearing only a thin camisa and an equally thin underskirt. Her face was covered by her thick, tangled hair. 

Lea knelt down to inspect further. The girl still had a pulse, but she was unconscious. No noticeable gash or wound in her body or head was present. She cradled the girl on her lap. 

“Good heavens! She’s still alive.” Rocco exclaimed. 

“If there are no wounds present.” Lea took note of the rough remnants of dried liquid from the girl’s mouth down to her chin. “Poison.” 

Lea attempted to lift the girl on her back before the constable hoisted the girl on his. The nearest hospital was half an hour walk away, if one would admit them. The two of them carried the girl back to the Hospicio. The Madam of the Hospicio carrying a small lamplight opened the door . Lea then took advantage of the light to scan the girl’s features. Without a doubt, the girl was no different from her. 

 

0