Chapter 9: Case 242C
142 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Edited by: Waning_Crescents


The next day, Cal sat at his desk and went through the documents Kristian sent him. The case file 242C stated that a group of criminals involved in drug trafficking expanded their territory through influence and money which came from an unknown source. Consequently, the drug market flourished.

Unknown source… Cal knitted his brows. Drug market…

As he read further through the documents it became clear that their business not only consisted of drug trafficking but evolved into a whole cartel. Murderers, human traffickers, everyone who complied with the organization, not only enjoyed financial privileges but also protection. Thus, their network grew rapidly.

Under these circumstances, finding and catching the root of the cartel posed a real challenge to the Conciliators and the CIB. Every time they had a lead, it basically vanished overnight. Even the informants, who provided them with information, either disappeared or got killed. In the end, the risk became too high to rely on such sources. Therefore, the Conciliators resorted to other methods.

Now I understand why everyone’s expression changed during the meeting.

As he skimmed further through the files his gaze fell upon the trademark. 

There it is…

Kristian had summed up the connection between the two cases, so seeing the mark didn’t surprise him. Instead, it excited his curiosity. 

He clicked on the folder from the current case and opened the pictures of the victims who had the mark carved into their foreheads. Then he put both images side by side to compare them directly.

Even if the blood of the victims changed the pattern a bit, it is without a doubt the same.

The trademark consisted of the infinity symbol with the pattern of two snake heads popping out of the middle: one facing left and one facing right.

“The first time, the mark appeared on pills.” Cal narrowed his eyes. “But later on, it became the symbol of the cartel itself, some even wore it as tattoos.”

He glanced at it for a little while before he closed the pictures from the ongoing case file, only leaving the file 242C open. Then he scrolled further downwards where a certain entry caught his attention:

Name: Noah Keaton
Age: 21
Position: Conciliator, Section 2
Status: Deceased. Killed in the line of duty.

Cal’s eyes widened. “That…”

The report only gave a vague recount of what occurred at that time. It only stated that Noah Keaton joined the cartel as an undercover agent, but something went awry. However, his actions and sacrifice made it possible to put an end to the entire cartel.

What could have happened? What went wrong?

He put his index finger on his lips and rested his thumb on his chin.

It only says Section 2, but could he have been Sigal’s partner? Is that the reason why he acts the way he does?

Cal recounted and analyzed his partner’s behavior as memories of their fight from the other day resurfaced.

‘And if you want to get rid of me so badly, wouldn’t it have been easier to just let me die back then and call it collateral damage? That must be not so unusual in that line of work, right?’

He slapped his forehead. “Why did I say that?”

For a few minutes he remained in that posture, ruminating about what he said to his partner. “I better apologize for that later.”

Then he fixed his eyes on the screen again and scrolled back up to the description of the trademark, which still bothered him.

So familiar…why can’t I remember where I have seen that? It might even help the case, and yet I can’t seem to recall…

In hope that anything written in these files would trigger his memories, he went through the documents over and over again until dusk settled over the city.

Exhausted, Cal leaned backwards into his chair and let out a sigh. It’s no use, huh?

Then he glanced out the window beside his desk. Maybe some fresh air will do the trick.

He rose from his chair, grabbed his jacket, and walked outside.

 

In front of the Conciliator’s apartment complex, he came to a halt. He closed his eyes, lifted his head, and stretched his arms while the cold evening breeze touched his skin and wafted through his hair. “That feels so good!”

These last couple of days, he never set foot outside as he mainly rested or read through the documents of the case in hope to discover anything useful. Even today he spent half of the day going through case file 242C without taking a break. Therefore, he enjoyed the change of scenery.

He strolled along the streets while observing the people, who either rushed home or walked side by side with their loved ones. Cal’s lips curved upward at the smiling and laughing faces, yet a glimmer of loneliness and sadness reflected in his eyes as if longing for some warmth himself.

In the next moment, someone grabbed him by the wrist, which pulled him out of his thoughts. Startled, he stopped in his tracks and whipped his head around where his eyes met Sigal’s. Stunned by the sudden appearance of his partner he just stared at him in silence as if time stood still, not reacting at all.

“Why are you outside?” Sigal asked with a frown on his face.

“I…” Cal choked on his own words.

His last interaction with Sigal consisted of getting carried into the bedroom by him, thus, unintentionally his mind wandered to this event.

Sigal glanced into the distance before he pulled Cal closer. 

“What…?” Cal’s eyes widened as he stumbled forward, almost bumping into his partner.

“You shouldn’t be outside, especially at this hour!” Sigal grabbed Cal by his shoulders and pressed him against a wall while he nervously scanned the area.

Not comprehending the situation, Cal asked in confusion. “Wha-what’s wrong?”

Sigal, however, just surveyed their surroundings and remained silent.

“What are you doing?”

“Be quiet!” Sigal said in a low tone and covered the young investigator’s mouth with one hand.

Caught by surprise Cal didn’t even resist, he just blinked. What’s wrong with him?

Then he glanced to where his partner’s gaze shifted and tried to spot something himself.

What is he looking for?

As his attention fell back on his partner, he noticed the tensed-up posture of Sigal, along with beads of sweat that formed on his forehead. Something must have highly alerted him, yet Cal couldn’t figure out the cause of it.

What happened? Why is he so agitated? That’s unlike him…

Then his gaze fell upon Sigal’s chest. He narrowed his eyes, raised one hand and moved it closer to feel the other’s heartbeat, but right before his palm made contact, he retracted it. Instead, he grabbed his partner’s hand that covered his mouth and yanked it away. “What is going on?”

“We are going back!” Sigal grabbed Cal’s right wrist and briskly walked into the direction of the Conciliator’s apartment complex.

“Hey, I think you owe me an explanation!” Cal involuntarily followed with rapid steps. “And stop dragging me along like that!”

 

“So attentive, Mr. Investigator.” Axis chuckled while he leaned slightly over the railing of a rooftop patio gazing downwards.

From this large building, opposite the street of where the two investigators just stood, he had the perfect view to observe them while not getting spotted in the process.

“I guess he got very cautious since he received that phone call.” Killian walked over to him and glanced down as well.

“As expected.” Axis grinned, but then his gaze shifted to Cal. “And you, my sweet little puppet, for what you have put me through, punishment awaits!”

“Why didn’t you make a move yet? The timing wouldn’t have been bad.”

“Because our reunion must be in a perfect setting.” Axis licked his slips. “And this was not it.”

Then his lips curved into a malicious smile as he gazed at the young investigator. “Enjoy your freedom as long as it lasts.”

 

As the two investigators entered the building, Cal still didn’t receive any answers, thus, he stopped and ripped his hand out of his partner’s grip. “What is wrong with you? What is going on?”

Sigal came to a halt as well and turned around. “That’s what I should be asking, why are you running around outside?”

“I just needed a change of scenery, that’s all,” Cal replied, “What’s the big deal?”

“What’s the big deal?” Sigal clicked his tongue. “You can’t be that careless anymore, you have to be more cautious.”

Cal took a few steps and leaned with his back against the wall. “Is this about the case? Is that why you are so shaken up?”

Sigal furrowed his brows. “What do you know?”

“Kristian sent me the case file 242C,” Cal answered, “I read it and…”

He let out a puff of air, while he clutched his left arm with his right hand. “I actually need to apologize…for what I said the other day…”

He gazed downwards. “I mean…that I said that in this line of work it’s not so unusual that…someone—”

“Stop it.” Sigal cut in with a rather calm tone in his voice.

Cal shook his head but then raised it to meet his partner’s eyes. “I am really sorry I said that. I was totally out of line!”

“You were.” Sigal fixed his gaze on his partner. “But more importantly, now that you know the danger this case poses, how come you still do as you please?”

Cal blinked, the thought of immediate danger never crossed his mind, not even once. “Do you really think they would attack us head on? From my understanding, that’s not how they operate. Besides, they don’t even know me, right? I wasn’t part of the Conciliators back then.”

“That doesn’t matter!” Sigal raised his voice. “You don’t know what they are capable of.” He clenched his fists. “Or the terror they bring with them.”

Cal’s eyes widened as it dawned on him. He is right, I really don’t know anything about that. I read the file, but it only stated facts not the actual experience or the loss they faced… I was naive to believe that this had nothing to do with me just because I wasn’t part of the Conciliators at that time.

“You are right, I don’t. I —”

“I keep telling you the same thing over and over!” Sigal cut him off. “Yet you discard it and…”

He paused, put one hand on his forehead and shook his head. “Forget it. Just listen to me this once, that’s all I’m asking.”

Cal eyed his partner for a moment, but then nodded. “Alright.”

I’ve never seen him so distraught…

“Good,” Sigal said and turned to leave.

“Wait!” Cal stopped him. “How did you even know where I was?”

“I didn’t.” Sigal whipped his head around. “Vince couldn’t get a hold of you, so he contacted me, but as you also didn’t answer the door, I went looking for you.”

“Oh…” Cal checked his pockets. I really forgot my cellphone.

Then he raised his head. “Why did the chief try to reach me?”

“Beats me, ask him yourself.”

Cal sighed. “Then I better not keep him waiting any longer.” He pushed himself off the wall and took a few steps before he came to a halt again. “And sorry for the trouble."

Then he walked to his apartment at the end of the corridor, reached for the doorknob and opened the door.

“Newbie.” Sigal called out.

Cal stopped in his tracks and spun around while he let out an exasperated sigh. “Can you please finally dro—"

He choked back the rest of the sentence and froze at the sight of the other. Sigal glanced at him with furrowed eyebrows, yet his face appeared to be tense along with a shimmer of concern lingering in his eyes.

Why is he looking at me like that?

Cal couldn’t discern the meaning behind this, but this intense stare caught him off-guard, and he couldn’t stop gazing into Sigal’s fiery red eyes, while he waited for the other to say something.

However, no words followed up on that and in the end Sigal only let out a sigh. “Never mind.”

Cal stood in the door dumbfounded as his partner turned around and walked up the stairs.

What was that about?

With confusion written all over his face Cal stepped into his apartment and closed the door behind him.

What did he want to say? And what was that look on his face…the way he stared at me…the way he…

Cal’s heartbeat slightly increased the more he thought about it, but then he drew in a deep breath and let it settle.

What am I even thinking? His lips curved into a helpless smile. Everything he does has nothing to do with me at all. He probably was only concerned that I would be getting in his way again.

Cal nodded to himself. Yeah, that must be it, because there is no way that… He lowered his eyelids. That he actually cares…

Then he walked into the living room, where his cellphone rested on his desk. He picked it up and unlocked it: Several missed calls and one text message from Vince.

[Doctor’s appointment tomorrow at 9am.]

Cal frowned.

2