Chapter 11: Shuri Town part 2
68 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Heya everyone! From now on, I will upload new chapters on tuesdays =)

Edited by: Waning_Crescents


On the east side of Shuri Town, Asher and Nowe patrolled through the streets. Every time they came here it somewhat appeared worse than the last time. Even though they tried to keep order and people from harm, they just didn’t have the means to ease their pain and suffering.

People glanced at the investigators but kept their distance wary to not draw any attention to them. However, people new to this routine, acted sometimes out of place.

“Heh, so these are the Conciliators. They don’t look so tough up-close,” a man, in ragged clothes, said to his comrades as he eyed the two investigators passing by.

Nowe gazed through the corner of his eyes at the man, but then came to a halt. He turned around with a malicious grin on his lips. “Is that so?”

Unimpressed by the appearance of the investigator, the man raised an eyebrow. “Huh? You said something?”

The man was at least one head taller than Nowe, and through his torn-up clothes muscles shone in a well-built physique. In comparison, Nowe had a more slender body, no visible muscles. He appeared as if he couldn’t land a hit on the man or at least none that would hurt him.

“If I were you, I would shut up and walk away.” Asher stood behind Nowe with his arms crossed in hope that this man would just drop any more aggravations towards his partner.

However, the man didn’t get the hint and pushed forward. “Are you worried about your little friend? That he might get hurt?”

He moved past Nowe and leaned forward, stopping only two inches short in front of Asher’s face. “Listen up! I heard all about this area. You think strolling around here and posing like the big guys does anything? You don’t even help the people, do you?”

The man curled his lip. “You are so pathetic. I am not scared to take you on.”

Asher just let out a sigh. “I tried to help you.”

“Oh real—”

Before that man could even finish his sentence, a fist connected with his face, and he lost his footing. He stumbled backwards, not realizing what just happened as more blows followed up on his face and body.

While the man’s three comrades jumped in to help their friend, Asher just leaned back against a wall and lit a cigarette. “Told you. I tried to help you, but you wouldn’t shut up.”

Asher watched the brawl until he finished his cigarette; he flipped it away and pushed himself off the wall. Then he took a few steps and grabbed Nowe by the back of his collar and pulled him back. “That’s enough or you kill them.”

“They don’t deserve any better! I’m not done yet!!”

Nowe’s skills in martial arts exceeded probably that of the other Conciliators, but because of his appearance people underestimated him.

The men writhed on the ground groaning while bleeding from their swollen faces; not comprehending what just had happened.

“Go!” Asher commanded with a serious expression.

The group struggled to their feet and hurried away to the disappointment of Nowe, who still flailed around his arms and feet lusting for more blood.

And that’s the reason why this is just a pain in the ass. Asher let out a puff of air and dragged his struggling partner along.

 

On the west side of Shuri Town, not only beggars lined up along the sidewalks, but also on every corner sat an addict. Some riding their high, not perceiving their surroundings anymore; some drowning their sorrow in alcohol.

Cal scanned the area while he walked by these homeless people, who just sat at the pavements in their pitiful states.

This seems even worse than on the southern side.

While the appearance of these people overall just seemed unhygienic with their ragged, unwashed clothes, their unkempt hair and faces smeared with dirt; on the south side, it gave the impression as if some of them still tried to make the best out of their situation. However, on this side, it appeared as if people just gave up, being a shell of their former selves.

Cal clenched his fists and anger welled up inside of him by the thought of all the suffering, the pain these people must have endured which drove them to this point. Even the kids who got robbed of their childhood.

This is just too heartless…

“Focus.”

The voice of Sigal pulled him out of his thoughts and he relaxed his hands a little.

Right, I can’t let that distract me. I have to focus on the case.

As they proceeded through the streets, Cal eyed groups of people huddled together. Some ignored the investigators, and some glared at them in disgust.

Cal narrowed his eyes as he passed by them and lowered his voice. “I guess those are some of the unpleasant people?”

Sigal only nodded and came to a halt.

Even though these people didn’t really hide their criminal intent, there was nothing the Conciliators could do as long as they didn’t catch them in the act. This left them only with a routine search for drugs and other kinds of substances or weapons.

While Sigal conversed with the suspicious groups, Cal checked on the more unfortunate people on the sidewalks when someone, sitting on the ground, grabbed him by the wrist.

“Please, young man, I need help! Please, give me more of this new drug. I can’t live without it anymore! I need it! Please!” the man pleaded with tears in his eyes.

Cal’s eyes widened for a second. New drug?

Then his gaze fell back on that pitiful man in front of him. His skinny physique, the bags beneath his eyes and his sunken cheeks; all indicated that this man did drugs already for a long time.

The young investigator’s lips curved into a warm, yet pained smile. “I’m sorry, I can’t help you out with that, but can you tell me more about this drug you were talking about?”

“It lets me forget that I live like this. It gives me only bliss and happiness, like living in a dream.” The man pulled Cal closer, so that he had to bend forward. “Please! I need it, give it to me!!”

Through the corner of his eyes, Cal noticed that Sigal looked over to them, and he motioned to him that everything was alright. Afterwards, he crouched down where his gaze fell upon all the needles scattered across the ground. 

At this sight, Cal’s vision slightly blurred, and beads of sweat appeared on his forehead while his heartbeat increased as well.

“Young man, please! Please!” The man kept going.

Cal snapped out of his stupor and took a deep breath. Then he turned back to the man and put his palm on the back of the other’s hand which still grabbed onto him. “Can you tell me where you got that drug?”

“Will you get me the drug if I tell you?”

That man’s eyes stared at him full of hope which made this even harder for Cal. His brows drew together, and his eyelids dropped. “Yeah…”

“Not long ago, a guy handed out samples of a new drug to us. It was the best thing I have ever tried!”

“Can you describe this man?”

The man shook his head. “I didn’t see him. He gave it to some dealer and that one distributed it around the area.”

“Who was the dealer?”

“I…I can’t remember. I think he was tall and…and…” the man’s hand shivered as he tried to recall the appearance of the dealer. “I think he had brown hair, maybe glasses. I don’t know!” He wailed.

“It’s alright. You helped a lot, thank you.” Cal patted the back of his hand.

“Will you find him and bring me the drug? I am sure he got more, will you?”

Cal nodded with a warm smile on his lips. “I’ll try my best.”

“Thank you, thank you so much!”

After the man let go of Cal’s hand, he straightened up and walked to his partner, who waited a few feet away.

“What was that about?” Sigal asked.

Cal recounted what the man told him. “What do you think?”

“I heard similar stories, yet the description of the dealer varies.” Sigal furrowed his brows. “Seems like we have to keep searching.”

“Yeah.”

 

As they continued to talk to people and tried to ask for information as subtly as possible, Cal noticed Sigal’s slight change of behavior. Not only did he barely leave him out of his sight, but he also constantly scanned their surroundings.

It’s the same as that day. What is he looking for? Are we being followed?

Cal narrowed his eyes and glanced around, but couldn’t detect anything, same as last time.

What am I missing here?

Right as he wanted to move closer to Sigal and ask if anything was wrong, someone, leaning against a wall, beckoned his partner over.

Sigal eyed the man for a moment, but then walked over to him. “Yeah?”

“I was asked to give this to you.” The stranger handed him a piece of paper.

Sigal hesitated for a moment but then took it. “By whom?”

The man shrugged. “Beats me. Never seen that fella before.”

The older investigator unfolded the note and read the message: ‘That’s your second warning! You don’t want to lose someone else, do you?’

Sigal gritted his teeth and crumpled the paper in his hand. “When did you receive this note?”

“A few minutes ago.”

They can’t be far then.

“And what did the person look like?” Sigal pressed him for answers in a hurry.

“Can’t really tell. They wore a black cloak or something and their face was covered.”

Sigal glanced at Cal, took his phone out and messaged the corps division.

Cal walked over to him and asked, “Anything wrong? What did he want?”

Sigal, however, just stared at his phone, which vibrated just a few seconds later. He read the message and turned to Cal. “You wait here! Someone from the corps division will pick you up in a minute.” 

“Why? What is going on?”

Sigal had no time to spare and aimed one last question at the stranger. “Which way?”

The man pointed into the direction the other person disappeared to and Sigal rushed off.

“Hey!” Cal called out to him.

“You stay put!!”

Yeah, right, I will stay put.

After Cal received a quick recount from the man Sigal talked to, he hurried after him.

Someone leaves a note for him and then he rushes off? Talk about being reckless. There is obviously something wrong here.

 

Who the hell are you? And why do you seem so obsessed with me? Sigal ran along the streets scanning the area in hope to spot the person in question. But no matter who you are, I won’t let you harm him!

“Sigal!! Stop!!”

Sigal’s eyes widened as he perceived the voice of his partner. What the hell is he doing here?

He looked over his shoulder and knitted his brows. “I told you to stay put! Go back!”

“No way! Something doesn’t seem right. So, stop the chase!”

Sigal came to a halt and bared his teeth as he turned around. “Newbie, you never learn, do you? Always getting in the way no matter what, right?”

Cal slowed down too and furrowed his brows. “You might run into a trap, you idiot. Don’t you get that?”

“What do you know? I—"

Sigal froze as a bullet struck the ground between the two investigators who stood around ten feet away from each other. In the next moment he caught a glimpse of a green dot fixed on Cal’s shoulder and shock crossed his face. “Get down!”

Before Cal could even react, Sigal dashed over and pushed him with his body to the ground.

Cal landed on his back and squeezed his eyes shut, but then squinted at Sigal, who propped his arms on either side of his head to get back up.

“What…?” Cal’s eyes widened as his gaze fell on the blood that trickled down his partner’s right arm. “Sigal! You—”

“We have to get out of here!”

Sigal straightened up, grabbed Cal and shouldered him before he darted into a nearby alley.

“Please, put me down. You are injured!” Cal urged him with a hint of panic in his voice.

Sigal, however, ignored his pleading and just kept running.

Cal bit his lower lip. Dammit!

0