Chapter 24: Probing in the dark
110 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Edited by: Waning_Crescents


“What the hell is going on?” Sigal asked, irritated as he walked out of the room after he laid Cal back into bed.

The doctor exchanged a few words with the nurse who nodded, turned and left.

“I’m sorry about that. The nurse is quite new and didn’t know any better.” The doctor said, feeling regretful.

Sigal took a step forward, unpleased about the whole situation that just unfolded before his eyes. “Explain to me what just happened. Why did he act like that?”

“That’s exactly what I wanted to talk to you about,” The doctor said, “For some reason he is terrified of needles. No, it’s more of a phobia. We also encountered difficulties last time he was here, but because he was aware of this, he endured it somehow. However, now that he has amnesia, it seems, although he forgot, subconsciously his body acted on pure instinct.”

Sigal knitted his brows. “That is not all there is to it, is there?”

The other shook his head. “No. Last time we also found out that his body reacts quite differently to drugs. For some reason he developed a kind of resistance to them, which in consequence also lessens the effects. This is also the reason why he even survived last time.”

Sigal was struck dumbfounded into silence. He had no idea about any of that, how could he? Cal never confined such matters to him, let alone telling him about his burdens. A feeling of uneasiness welled up inside of him. Just what did this mean?

“Did Cal explain any of that?” Sigal eventually asked.

“No, he wouldn’t talk about this matter. He actually didn’t want anyone to know about his condition either; but now that he is in this state, I thought it was better for someone to be aware of that.”

Sigal nodded. “I see.”

He pressed no further, because in the end it would only be assumptions, the truth remaining with his partner. If he would be ready to talk —should he ever remember— then he would listen.

 

***

 

While Cal stayed at the hospital under watch of the corps division, Sigal drove back to the Conciliator’s headquarters, where already every division had assembled.

“Good timing.” Vince stood in front of his desk while the rest of the crew gathered before him. “We were just talking about further steps.”

Sigal’s eyes traveled around the room where his gaze met Asher, who tried to peel his partner off of him, but Nowe clung to him like a stray wanting to be taken in.

“Don’t ever leave me behind again.” Nowe wailed like a little kid.

“This is no time for that, idiot. I came back in one piece, didn’t I? We have more pressing matters to worry about right now.”

“What’s this about?” Sigal asked Vince, pointing at the inappropriate scenario transpiring in the back of the room.

Vince let out a dragging sigh. “Asher followed a possible lead while Nowe had to stay home with a cold. This is the result of it.”

“A possible lead?”

“Yeah, the police found some dealers and informed us. I sent Asher to look into that with them.”

“And?”

“I was just awaiting his report.” Vince pointed his chin at Asher.

“Get the hell off me!” Asher tried to shove his partner away before he turned his attention to Vince. “It appeared they were just regular dealers, at least they only had some known substances on them. The police took them in for questioning, we’ll have to wait if they get anything useful out of them.”

“I see. Thank you,” Vince said.

“Anything you guys found out about that Axis bastard?” Sigal glanced from Vince to Kristian.

“Not really.” Kristian folded his arms. “We started our investigation from the point of checking Cal’s background as it seems that the key lies there, but as expected the information was fabricated. It stated that his parents are deceased, which may or may not be true and no information of a brother. This all didn’t come as a surprise, considering that he changed his name. The reason also obvious.”

“Isn’t a background check usually made when someone joins us? How did you miss that?” Asher put in, ceasing his resistance, letting his partner hang on him like a monkey.

“Correct, we do, but the black market has talented people. Forging said database, if ya know yar stuff, is as easy as coding a homepage. They can even bypass security systems and just change the information without anyone noticing, let alone leaving any digital fingerprints.” Kristian put one hand on his chin. “He went through all that trouble just so he wouldn’t get tracked by this man. But in the end it still wasn’t enough.”

“Yeah…” Claire bit her lower lip.

Nero glanced at her with his hands in his pockets, knowing that she tried everything to find clues herself. The crime scene had been inspected several times but in the end the outcome left them frustrated.

“We did find footprints and fingerprints. Many even.” Everyone turned their attention to the usual silent companion. “Not able to determine some of them. We won’t give up.”

Claire looked at him, baffled before a smile formed on her lips and she nodded.

“Thanks, but as things stand, the easiest way would be to ask Cal. He should be able to provide us with the foundation of this investigation. If we have the full story, we can direct our search in the right direction,” Vince stated.

“That won’t be possible.” Sigal clenched one hand to a fist. “He lost his memories.”

“What?” Claire’s eyes widened; the others stared quite shocked at him as well. Nowe even climbed off Asher, furrowing his brows.

“Are you serious?” Kristian pursed his lips.

Sigal nodded. “Yeah. He lost all of his childhood memories. According to the doctor, the first thing he remembers is when he joined us, and the last memory is around two days before the incident.”

“He really can’t catch a break.” Vince sounded worried, but at the same time frustrated. Probably because he cared about his subordinates a great deal and seeing them harmed or in pain, hurt him as well. “Will he be able to regain them?”

“Maybe, but if so, he has to by himself.”

“I see.” Vince glanced through the room. “Things really won’t go our way. This all seems too much planned out. Especially, how is this all linked together?”

“That bastard must be linked with the people from three years ago, the question is just in what way,” Sigal said, “The guy from Shuri town and those masks, I am certain that—“

“No, yar right,” Kristian interrupted him. “When I went out with Cal for a drink, he mentioned to me that he was sure that he saw the sign from the victims before but couldn’t remember from where.”

“What?” Sigal almost shouted. “Why haven’t you said anything about this sooner?”

“He did report this to me, and we actually started to look into it.” Vince cut in. “But there was not much to work with when he himself didn’t know.”

“I should have been informed, don’t you think?”

“The timing was bad. When ya came that night, we actually tried to find any traces where he might have come across them. But after ya barged in and told us what happened, this slipped my mind,” Kristian explained. “Things may have become clearer though; I think that the connection could be lying with his half-brother.”

“There is still so much we don’t know yet,” Vince said, “But we will solve this. We will have to dig into everything that might provide any clues. Look into every case that remotely seems relevant in collaboration with the police. Things have become way more dangerous and unpredictable. We have to watch out for each other.”

Everyone agreed in unison.

 

***

 

The next two days Cal only managed to stay awake for a certain period of time. Like a weak battery which needed constant recharging, he fell asleep as soon as his resources were spent. Sigal checked up on him every day, kept him company until he fell back asleep before he went back home to take care of some business.

Because his vital signs stabilized more and more, the doctor gave permission that Cal could leave on the third day as long as he was supervised at home in case his condition should take a turn for the worse. Thus, Sigal took him in.

 

Sigal unlocked the door to his apartment with Cal standing behind him. He appeared to be thinner than usual, his cheeks slightly sunken, the exhaustion still visible in his eyes and appearance.

“Are you really okay with that? It’s not like I live far away in the first place. I can call if anything should happen.”

Sigal opened the door, holding it open. “Still trying to be brave even though you look as if you are about to pass out at any second again. Get in.”

“I’m not.” Cal puffed his cheek, murmuring while he walked inside, “Also you are one to talk, as if you accept any help.”

“I heard that.” Sigal closed the door behind him. “I cared for you the past few days, shouldn’t you show at least some gratitude?”

Cal turned around and glared at him, which made Sigal laugh. “At least there is still some spunk in you.” He walked to the kitchen and poured some water in a glass before placing it on the little table by the couch where Cal took a seat, letting out a sigh.

Sigal leaned against the counter and crossed his arms in front of his chest. “I didn’t want to ask before as I know this is hard for you, but what is the last thing you remember?”

Cal grabbed the glass, took a sip, thinking for a moment. “I remember we entered Shuri Town to patrol through the streets as part of the investigation. You were talking to a woman who opened an orphanage, but after that everything is a blur.”

“I see.” Looking at Cal, he could see the subtle pain in his eyes, the frustration as well as sadness. “I know you are angry and confused, but give it time. I am sure you will remember again.”

In truth, Sigal couldn’t be sure if he would, and he also wasn’t sure if he wanted him to. If he thought about all the pain Cal must have endured, wouldn’t it be better to start over without memories full of pain and sadness?

“Mn.” Cal stared at the glass in silence.

“How is the pain?”

“It’s fine.” Cal put the glass down, letting himself drop onto the back of the couch. He put one hand on his forehead and closed his eyes. Just what happened to me?

Every time he tried to recall anything, in place of where memories should be, everything was clouded in darkness with flickering in between, like a broken film tape that snapped while trying to play a movie. Who even am I?

The sound of cabinets opening and closing pulled him out of his thoughts. He opened his eyes, tilting his head to the side. “What are you doing?”

“What does it look like?” Sigal placed a pan on the stove. “I’m cooking. You need to eat.”

“Oh.”

“Is that so surprising?” Sigal asked with his back turned to his partner.

Cal indeed thought that this was an unusual display, but everything seemed unusual to him since he woke up. Especially Sigal, who almost always looked at him with a cold expression, filled with anger, wanting nothing more than to get rid of him. But now, he stood there in the kitchen and cooked for him. Not only that, he even cared for him, but why? What brought this drastic change about?

 

Support me

1