Chapter 5
42 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 They had made it, just in time. Sadik noticed how the church was smaller than a Catholic one and how there were no benches. He took a candle and let Nikola light both of theirs. Then, they went in the back of the crowd.

The priest was singing soon after. Then, he was speaking in Russian. Sadik looked at Nikola and began reading his mind. The priest was speaking about the same things as the one in the mosque.

About how family was important. How they should all wear masks now that people were dying like flies from COVID-19. How they should come more often because only God could save them. Same old.

When the man was done with his preaching, he went to Nikola and Sadik and extended his hand to the Turk. He said something in Russian, and Nikola was quick to explain.

“Father Sergei wants to welcome you to the community,” Sadik nodded and shook the offered hand.

“Tell him I won’t be coming back,” Nikola’s eyes widened.

“I can speak English. I just thought you can understand my mother tongue, like Nikola here,” said the priest with a frown. “And why are you going to turn your back on the church, young man?”

“I am a Muslim. Niki, here, roped me into coming. So, I can see what I am missing out on,” clarified Sadik, and father Sergei’s face softened.

“At least you gave us a chance and were polite during the sermon. Not many show me the same courtesy,” said the priest. Sadik made parallels between this priest and the one in the mosque.

His priest was dressed more plainly. With a simple robe, sometimes, he wore a turban. This one had golden thread in his robes. He had golden rings on his fingers, Sadik counted three in total. He found the opulence hypocritical. Even the Catholic priests hid their wealth better. They, at least, liked to flaunt it with the opulence of their church.

“You seem to have a critical eye,” Sadik had pocketed his sunglasses when he entered the church, so, now, he had nothing to hide his face. “Tell me, young man, what is it that is not to your liking?”

Sadik knew a trap when he saw one. So, he laid one of his own.

“Just what is it that you do here, father? I know what an imam does, but what do you?” Father Sergei adopted a slight smile.

“I do the confessions. Furthermore, I advise those who have lost their way. Besides that, I make sure that the soup kitchen for the homeless next to the church has food for the needy of our town. Occasionally, that means giving my money for it. These,” the priest waved his ring clad fingers at Sadik. “Come with the position. The robe as well. You do not begrudge the wonderful wood carvings in the mosques. Surely, you won’t begrudge my uniform?”

Darn, the man was good. Like a fox ready to gnaw his leg.

“I take it you didn’t understand a word of what I said during the sermon?” Asked the priest, and Sadik shook his head. The man pointed at the altar and sighed. “The same as the imam, I am afraid. We are friends, him and me, and we talk about our sermons every Sunday night. Family, safety, and unity. The three things that are still important and give peace in this world. I am certain that Niki can give you more details. Nikola, do you wish to have a confession?”

Father Sergei gave Nikola a pointed look and the man looked down and then nodded.

“That would be for the best, yes,” Sadik resisted the urge to groan. Now, the priest was going to find out about their back and forth. And then, he would gossip with the imam come Sunday. Externally, Sadik smiled and let go of Nikola’s hand.

Father Sergei led Nikola to the confessional and they both got in.

“Forgive me, father, for I have sinned,” Sadik was shamelessly listening in, straining his hearing, but not moving from his spot. He wanted to bang his head in the white wall. Sinned? They have only kissed. Now, if Sadik had his way, Nikola would really have sinned.

“What have you done, child?” Sadik noted that the priest didn’t sound judgmental. That was good, at least.

“I used my program to help the man I came in with. The one I confessed to have placed viruses in,” ok, well, that was sin worthy. Sadik had to admit that. Especially if Nikola had done more than check. Allah knew what his little program could do. What Sadik had seen was just a couple of clicks on prompts. But, he hadn’t bothered attempting to read it, since they were in Bulgarian.

“I thought you promised that you will delete that program and work, honestly. For the betterment of your new country,” so, father Sergei was trying to get the useful program deleted? Not on Sadik’s watch!

“I kept it because I needed to make sure Ivan is still safe. They pushed him down the stairs,” Sadik blinked at that. Now, this was getting interesting.

“You should cut ties with the mafia, Nikola. Go to the police. Return to Bulgaria. You haven’t used the program bar for testing and for this new friend of yours. You won’t face a trial,” Sadik gently began to massage his temples. Of course, the lamb had ties to the mafia. He looked too young to have earned a green card. And, it hadn’t been with marriage, either.

“If I do, I’m dead,” well, yes. Sadik supposed that would be the case. The priest then let out a long exhale.

“Tell me again, young man, how did you get mixed in with the Bulgarian mafia. I still can’t piece it together,” Nikola remained silent for a time, but then began to speak. He sounded almost broken.

“My sister is the leader. If I don’t do the check-ups on different people and companies, she will kill me,” Sadik suddenly got the urge to bash in someone’s skull in. Nikola’s sister was the most likely candidate. 

5