Chapter 18
30 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 Sadik waited until Nikola’s washing duty was over and then went and picked him up.

“Before you say anything, know that I got into washing duty too,” said Sadik to a stern looking Nikola.

“As well you should have. Granted, father Sergei told me that he won’t make me do the dishes anymore if I continue to sin with you,” at that, Sadik quirked an eyebrow. “If it is reasonably.”

Nikola got in the car and Sadik turned around, a bright smile on his face.

“And here I thought that it was a green light,” Nikola huffed and crossed his hands over his chest.

“No, it is not. What we do is already pushing the limits. Especially if father Sergei is giving up on my soul,” Sadik snorted and turned around.

“Yes, well, I got only half an hour. Your father Sergei is less forgiving than imam Hasan,” Nikola hummed, agreeing with that instantly.

“Well, they can’t be the same,” Sadik began driving them and silence filled the car. When he pulled in the driving lot before the mosque, he turned back around.

“Now, I know you must know this already, but, no speaking about religion differences with the imam. Let him do the talking. And, remember, he gossips with father Sergei, so, if you want to avoid doing more dishes, be on your best behavior,” Nikola rolled his eyes.

“I know how to behave in polite company, Sadik. You showed courtesy to father Sergei, I’ll show courtesy to imam Hasan,” and Nikola got out of the car.

“You know, we should really donate them some dishwashers,” said Sadik as they were nearing the front door.

“How are they going to punish the sinners? Have them say prayers until they quit and lie about finishing? That, in itself, is a sin, Sadik,” Sadik grinned. He had never thought about it that way. He opened the door and held it open for Nikola.

“First time in a mosque?” Nikola nodded, looking around.

“It is different, but has the same feeling as the church,” they heard footsteps and saw a smiling imam Hasan moving to them.

“I am happy you come here with an open mind. A believer will always be welcomed in the house of God,” Nikola extended his hand for a handshake, and Sadik felt like he was presenting his first crush to his father. It had the same sickly sweet feel to it. The mood being light, but filled with tension.

Nikola must not be feeling the tension because he smiled brightly after the handshake and spoke.

“This place is a work of art. And, it has a homey feeling to it,” the imam smiled wider.

“We keep the home to our souls in good order, yes. You must be, Nikola? Sadik’s lover?” Nikola’s eyes widened and he turned to Sadik.

“Now, before you say anything, what do you call two people who cuddle together and kiss every time the mood calls for it?” Nikola’s blinked and his mouth went oh shaped.

“I suppose. Although, now it is official, isn’t it?” Sadik grinned and wrapped an arm around Nikola’s middle.

“More official it can’t get,” Sadik was satisfied with himself. He looked at the imam, who was watching the two of them in amusement.

“Ah, young love,” Nikola blushed further. “I hear that Sadik being here during the prayer and the lessons I wanted to tell my believers was also your doing?”

“Well, I just suggested. It didn’t seem fair to drag Sadik to church during each sermon. I mean, they are for those that believe in the Orthodox church. And, he doesn’t speak Russian, so he can’t understand the talking part,” mumbled Nikola.

“I thank you for returning my wayward brother today, all the same. Make sure you do so more often,” the imam nodded at both of them and left them standing in the entryway.

“So, was there something in particular you wanted to see?” Nikola looked around. The prayer mats looked exotic to him. They were bright, with different patterns and reminded him of the mats his grandmother had, back in Bulgaria.

“Can you tell me more about these,” Sadik looked confused at the mats?

“You bow to them and wait until the imam finishes speaking,” he clarified. “Look, Niki, I am a believer. But I don’t know half of the things you might want to ask me. Do you want me to call back the imam? He could be better equipped to answer,” Nikola shook his head.

“I want to see this place through your eyes. Can you attempt to tell me what everything means to you?” Sadik was all but melting. He took Nikola’s hand in his and lead him under an archway.

“I always like the carvings under the arch. I attempt to always get a mat under it…” Then, Sadik began to explain his favorite things about the mosque. Of podium that had wood from Turkey. How the entire mosque had been a donation from his country, too. He then showed Nikola a secluded corner with children’s drawings.

“The imam has contests and the little ones draw. They do it in here. I sometimes volunteer with coming here for the catering and as a responsible adult. But, they are well-behaved. See this one? It is supposed to be Mohamed,” Sadik pointed at a picture of a stern warrior.

“Your prophet? Why does he have a sword?” Sadik chuckled.

“He conquered cities. However, he was also peaceful, at times. No, I didn’t have the privilege of knowing him,” said Sadik after Nikola thought about it. “I was born long after he lived.”

“Sorry for assuming,” said Nikola, and then he stared at another picture of a bee.

“Is that the bee Maya?” He asked with a slight smile on his face. 

“Could be. The imam doesn’t strictly make the kiddies draw religious things. And he rewards the most talented and diligent among them. Not just the ones who do draw scenes from the Koran,” Nikola nodded.

“That sounds admirable. Would the imam have anything against me coming to the next contest? It is just that, there is Sunday school for the children of the church, but, nothing like this,” Sadik imagined Nikola surrounded by children, and he melted on the inside. 

3