Chapter 19
32 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They had stood in the mosque for another hour and then Sadik had taken them out. When they got in his car, he turned around to Nikola.

“Do you need to work today?” Nikola shook his head.

“My weekend is free. And, I got a week of paid leave so that I can look after Vanya,” Sadik stored the information for later.

“So, do you want to go visit him now?” Nikola nodded, and he looked grateful not to have brought it up.

“If you don’t mind,” Sadik started the car and drove them to the hospital. Once more, Nikola got peonies from the flower shop.

“I will be taking him home, tomorrow. I want to avoid asking this, but…”

“I’ll get him home, don’t worry. Were you going to get a taxi, before?” Nikola shook his head.

“No, I was going to ask one of the people who visit the church on Sunday,” Sadik sighed.

“No need for that. I’ll drive you both home. And then, we are going to spend the day together. The three of us,” Nikola smiled and tilted his head to the side.

“You always know what to say, Sadik. It is a bit hard to believe that you are a vampire,” Sadik sighed again.

“We, vampires that is, are people too. There are bad people among us, good people and people in between, like me. We are the majority. If we were all cape wearing psychopaths, how would we blend in?” Nikola chuckled at the mental image.

“You would look good in a cape, just saying,” Sadik smirked.

“I’ll look good in anything, lamb. I’ll have you know I look best in my birthday suit,” Nikola looked confused, then, his eyes widened.

“Oh, I get it. Sadik, please restrain yourself,” Sadik barked a laugh at that and followed Nikola to the man’s house.

“Can I stay with you tonight? I’ll just need to pick some clothes from my place,” suggested Sadik. Nikola nodded without thinking too much about it.

“Ok. How do you feel about chicken soup for dinner?” Sadik wanted to tell Nikola that he felt like Nikola’s blood for dinner, but resisted the urge.

“Sounds great. See you in a bit,” Sadik jogged to his house, happy as can be. He checked his fridge upon going in the kitchen and found that it was well stocked with blood. He grinned and went to his bedroom.

Furthermore, he picked some more formal clothes, seeing as he would be going to the mosque again and maybe even to the church. Then, a towel and his toiletries. Nikola had not used his, despite Sadik secretly wanting him to.

Sadik then went to Nikola’s house, and Nikola answered in an apron. Sadik grinned. Nikola looked like a picture-perfect housewife. And, seeing as he worked from home, he was about to become one too.

“You were fast,” said Nikola as he opened the door wider. Sadik had everything in a bag, and he deposited it on the living room couch without prompting.

“Yes, well, maybe I want to watch you cook? Or watch you in general?” Sadik winked and Nikola blushed again.

“Well, so far, I have just placed the chicken breasts to boil. And I am now just chopping vegetables. Do you like cream soup?” Sadik shrugged.

“I don’t mind any type of food, really. If you feel like chicken cream soup, then, make it,” Nikola went back inside the kitchen and Sadik followed.

“Do you need help?” Asked Sadik, looking at the strange machine on the counter.

“No, I have a cutter,” said Nikola, and then he placed a potato in the machine. It looked like one for mincemeat and sausage making. But, Sadik had never seen one before.

“From where can one get one of these?” Sadik watched as perfect cubes ended up below the machine.

“Internet and home appliances shops. I got mine for ten dollars off eBay,” then, Nikola took out another potato.

“Sounds nice, can I try?” Sadik went and washed his hands after Nikola nodded. He placed the potato and then pressed down. Nikola showed him the small handle and Sadik wheeled it.

“This is easy,” said Sadik with a grin, and Nikola handed him another potato.

“If you want to help…” Sadik took the potato and Nikola went to peel the carrots.

“So, what do you want to do tomorrow?” Asked Sadik.

“Ivan told me that he will be checking out of the hospital in two pm. So, we will need to go there then. But, before that, I will go to church. And, I suppose you will have to go to the mosque?” Sadik nodded. He did not miss Sundays at the mosque. Granted, before today, that had been normally the only time during the week he had gone.

“I’ll drive you to the church and then head to the mosque. And, before you say anything, know that we can wake up extra early. Then, you can get a spot closer to the altar. We won’t be late, and it won’t be a problem,” said Sadik, eyes twinkling in amusement after he read Nikola’s thoughts.

“I suppose, if you don’t have anything against it,” then, Nikola looked at Sadik in suspicion. “You stopped reading my thoughts, right?”

Sadik adopted an innocent expression.

“Your face is very expressive, and you are very considerate,” Sadik lied smoothly. Nikola smiled.

“It is just that, if you are still reading my mind, then I won’t be able to surprise you when I want to. Then, I’ll get boring to you, and you will leave. Like everybody else,” Sadik frowned.

“Only death will do us part, lamb,” Nikola’s eyes widened at that. “Anyway, I have been meaning to ask you. Do you mind if I drink from you? It won’t hurt at all. Vampire saliva has numbing properties.”

“If you’d like it. When?” Nikola looked curious now, and Sadik resisted the urge to read his mind. The Bulgarian had granted him permission to drink from him. The least he could do was give him some privacy, going forward.

“When we go to bed,” Nikola nodded and went back to working as Sadik wondered if he should tell Nikola the full truth about the feeding.    

2