Chapter 20
31 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It took until the soup was done for Sadik to come clean.

“Nikola, I was not honest with you,” Nikola looked unsurprised.

“So, you read my thoughts after all?”

“Not that, it is about the feeding. It will make us both aroused,” Nikola stiffened at that.

“Sadik, I haven’t known you more than a few days,” he began, but Sadik held up a finger.

“Yes, but you know my secret. And, I know your secret. And I plan to marry you come next spring,” Sadik blurted out.

“You, really?” Nikola moved closer so that they were inches apart. “You and I…”

“Married, hitched, forever together. You will have to grow fangs, of course, but…”

“No,” said Nikola sternly. “It is not happening. I will not trade my humanity for,” and then Nikola stopped talking.

“For us?” Asked Sadik, standing up.

“Sadik, I am sorry but…” Sadik took his hands in his.

“But, I am a monster. Meant for Hell. And you, who seem to play by the bible when it suits him, don’t want to end up there? You accused me of this being a game for me, once. But you are the one who is leading me on!” Sadik’s voice rose and he regraded it.

“I think I need to leave,” he let go of Nikola’s hands and picked up his bag with his clothes on the way out. Nikola called after him, but he ignored it.

It had been nice, while it had lasted. But Nikola was not meant for him. He was meant for someone who would go to church or a mosque with the same fervor as him. And he was meant to age and die, surrounded by his friends and family.

His mafia friends and family. Sadik cursed. He hadn’t done anything on that front. Nikola was in danger and, although Sadik was disappointed that it hadn’t worked out, he wanted to avoid seeing him hurt.

He went in his house just as the first droplets of rain began to fall. Great, even the weather was onto the fact that his halcyon days were over. He took out his phone and called and wondered whom to call.

Does he call Zekerie? He was like him and commanded the Turkish mafia. No, that would result in a mafia war. Does he call Abraxas? He had a finger in almost any pie when it came to illegal things. Yes, Abraxas was the best bet.

He dialed the number and was pleasantly surprised when it wasn’t changed.

“Abraxas, I need a favor,” he heard a snort from the other end.

“Don’t you, always? Did you do something stupid? Like telling your new pet what you are?” Sadik got unnerved at the way Abraxas was speaking to him. Not a hint of fondness. And, he got agitated at the way the man was referring to Nikola.

“He is not my anything. Things didn’t work out,” he heard a groan from the other side.

“What did you do? Try to feed from him?” Sadik should have waited to do that when they married. But, he had been impatient, as always.

“I just suggested it to him. Then, I told him what would happen. You must have researched him. So, you know how he reacted,” Abraxas barked a laugh.

“I know he goes to church, but, is he one of those who won’t put out without a ring on their finger?” Sadik sighed.

“Yes,” Abraxas resumed, laughing.

“Yes, well, better luck next time. What is the favor?”

“I need you to take control of the Bulgarian mafia,” Abraxas sucked in a breath.

“That is quite the beast you want me to tackle, Sadik. They are not to be messed with, as most mafias,” Sadik was having none of that.

“Then, at least get me the phone of Rositza Asenova. She is the ring leader. I offer you five million dollars for it,” Abraxas huffed, and Sadik could imagine him massaging his forehead.

“I can do that. Keep your money. Since operation get Sadik a pet fell through I have nothing against thinking that my commission was taken for the finding of the number,” well, that was nice of Abraxas. Sadik made a note to send him something pleasant. He wondered if the ginger still liked Turkish Delight.

“Thanks, Abraxas. You are a lifesaver,” Abraxas didn’t respond and just ended the call. Sadik felt someone coming to his front door, and he went to it. There, on his porch, was a canister and a note. He picked up the note.

Since you helped make it, it was only fair I gave you some.

I am sorry our friendship ended on such a sore note.

Take care, Sadik.

Nikola.

Sadik shook his head and pocketed the note. He knew, from his experience with Abraxas’s goodbye note, that he would be rereading it. He took the soup. The canister was still warm, and he had to wait for the food to cool slightly, and then he ate every spoonful.

It was good and reminded Sadik about all that could have been. Then, he washed the canister manually and dried it. Nikola had come over in the rain, so, Sadik decided to return the favor. He didn’t bother with a note. He had spoken his peace already.

Furthermore, he carried the canister to Nikola’s house, his hair being tossed every which way by the wind. Placing it on the front porch, he looked at the window that showed Nikola’s living room. No light come from it. Nikola must have gone to bed.

Sadik marched back home and closed the door, but didn’t lock it. He had no idea if Nikola had forgotten something in the house, and he wanted him to be able to take it back. Then, he got angry at himself.

Why should he be considerate when Nikola had shown him a lack of understanding? He had gotten Sadik’s hopes up with all those softly spoken words about how Sadik was perfect the way he was and how Nikola wanted to be a part of his world.

But then, when Sadik had given him the chance, Nikola had backed up. Sadik would make sure that the mafia didn’t harass Nikola anymore. However, thereafter, they would become just neighbors. With his mind made up, Sadik locked his front door.  

3