Chapter 26
32 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sadik stared at Abraxas who was staring at Nikola who attempted to work.

“Ok, what is your problem?” Asked Nikola, finally giving up on typing.

“What are you?” Abraxas sounded transfixed and Sadik blinked. Was it so obvious — now? Had there been a stopper to Nikola’s aura before?

“A human,” snapped Nikola, eyes going back to his code.

“No, you are not. I can feel the power radiating from you,” persisted Abraxas. Then, he made to move towards Nikola, but Sadik was between them instantly.

“What happened to us not knowing you are here?” He hissed at his progeny.

“He is not human and not telling what he is! Sadik, what have you caught in your net?” Nikola’s eyes snapped shut, and he pressed his hands in a prayer. Abraxas snorted.

“That may work to shut Sadik up, but, not me. So, spill,” Sadik pointed at the door.

“I can still keep you safe from the living room. Go there, Abraxas,” Abraxas scrunched up his nose but bowed his head.

“I’ll find out,” promised the ginger, and he exited the room. They heard the TV start and Nikola rested his head on his laptop.

“I won’t be able to do any work with him here,” said Nikola, voice almost in a whine.

“What are you doing anyway? Surely, your boss would let you off work for a couple of days. Given that your sister passed away,” Nikola frowned at him.

“She didn’t pass away. She was murdered. And I will find out who did it,” now, Sadik’s lie was coming to bite him. Nikola would search and, since his program seemed to be able to find everything under the sun, he’ll find out about his sister being alive. Then, because Sadik was unlucky like that, he’ll find out that Sadik had known all along.

Sadik needed to do damage control. Now, while there was still time.

“Doesn’t your faith teach you that vengeance is bad?” Sadik wasn’t very certain, but he knew that, from the commercials during Christmas and the like, forgiving one’s enemy was something the Christians preached.

“Sadik, you are hiding something,” Nikola’s eyes were narrowed to slits and Sadik gulped.

“I…might have handled your mafia family problem,” Nikola turned fully to him. “And, your sister is alive! Surprise!”

Nikola stood like he was made from stone. He blinked slowly and then he stood up. He moved to Sadik and then pulled the Turk’s head down so that he could press their foreheads together.

“Sadik, you have a bad lying habit. It is getting on my nerves,” Sadik grinned weakly. Happy that Nikola was not raging at him. Then, Nikola went back to his code and pulled out a pair of headphones.

“Go to the other room while I work. I guess that there is no need for me to go back to Bulgaria anymore. Seeing as the corpse is someone else’s,” Sadik blinked at that.

“But, what about your parents?” They may not be Nikola’s blood parents, but they have raised him. Surely, the man wanted to see them?

“I’ll visit them for Christmas. Mom told me not to come back until I can understand her pain. I think that is why I came running to you,” Sadik wanted to rip the woman a new one. Or, did she know that she had been given another’s child to raise?

“Does your mother know you are not her son?” Nikola was just about to put on the headphones, when the question made him pause.

“No. As far as she is concerned, she has three children. Two of the dead — now. Only the disappointment left to her,” Nikola pulled the headphones on and Sadik left the room. There was no sense in attempting to reason with Nikola.

He had made up his mind that he was unwanted. And, Sadik was going to show him that the opposite was true. But first, he would make it up to him for leading him on.

He went next to Abraxas and groaned.

“So, your lover has some baggage and is adopted? I didn’t want to saddle you with someone who will turn your hair gray. Believe me,” Sadik rolled his head enough to see Abraxas from the corner of his eye. He placed a hand over his head and slumped in the couch.

“He is the best thing you have ever done for me,” Abraxas raised an eyebrow at that. “And, I don’t mind the baggage. Furthermore, don’t put your nose into matters that don’t concern you.”

“What is he?” Repeated Abraxas. “Whatever he is, it fascinates me. You will have to keep a good watch on him. Least another of our kind steals him away.”

“They will have to kill me, first,” Sadik set his hand down in his lap and turned to the TV.

“Really? Animal Planet?” Abraxas shrugged.

“It was the last used program. So, if you want to judge someone, judge lover boy,” Sadik took the remote and switched the channels until he was at the Turkish one. There was a soap opera on, and he relaxed in his sit.

“What are you, a granny? Who watches such things?” Sadik did. He needed to find out if Fatma got back together with Adil. They had reminded Sadik of him and Nikola and so, he had watched the soap opera with a religious fervor. Rooting for the couple.

“You have a tablet, a laptop, and headphones. Use them. But stay here, so I can keep an eye on you,” Abraxas grumbled something in Irish and pulled out his tabled and headphones from his bag.

“Just so you know, I think you are a boring old man,” said Abraxas before putting on the headphones. Sadik shrugged as Fatma slapped Adil. Not in this episode, then.

As Sadik watched, he noticed how the house had gotten quiet. Too quiet. Only the noise of the TV was to be heard. He looked around and noticed that Abraxas was unconscious next to him. He smelled the gas and cursed. Just who had Abraxas pissed off?

2