Chapter 27
30 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nikola ran into the living room, looking around. He had a mask on and saw that Sadik had Abraxas in a fireman’s carry.

“It is spreading through the ventilation system,” called Sadik and Nikola nodded.

“We have to get out,” Nikola ran to the door and opened it. He then held it open for Sadik to carry Abraxas out.

“Better leave that open,” Sadik went pass Nikola and looked at his house. It looked to be in order, but, he knew that it was compromised. “I know this hotel downtown. Good view, good security.”

“No, we can’t endanger anyone else. I have a cottage outside of town. By the lake. Few know of it. I usually go to it with the bike,” Sadik turned to look at Nikola.

“Why do you have two houses in the same town?” Nikola grinned.

“There are no shops by the lake and I can’t drive. No buses either,” Sadik nodded. Then, just as they made it to the car, Nikola’s house went up in flames.

“My laptop!” Screamed Nikola, ready to go back in.

“Don’t. Just call the fire department,” Sadik closed the door just as his house went up in flames.

“Pieces of shit!” He screamed. He had keepsakes in there. Once that he had kept for centuries.

“Just call the fire department?” Asked Nikola snidely. “I’ll show you a trick.”

Nikola stared at Sadik’s house and the fire went down. The place still smoked, though.

“Go and take your things. I’ll take my laptop and some keepsakes,” Sadik didn’t want for them to separate, but, he wanted to avoid leaving his things behind, either. Especially since whoever had gotten the two houses in flames could still be around.

“Ok. Meet you in ten minutes. Not a second longer,” they each ran to each other’s house and began to pack. In ten minutes, the trunk of the car was full to the brim. So much so, that Sadik had trouble closing it.

“What do you have in this bag, anyway?” Sadik quirked an eyebrow as Nikola smiled sheepishly.

“Well, my laptop, the charger, my phone’s charger, some knickknacks. The icon from my office. Clothes and some food,” Sadik sighed. Of course, Nikola would take the bloody icon. He drove off and, just as he did so, both of the houses went up in the air.

“Please tell me you can fix that, too?” Nikola shook his head.

“And I just placed the last deposit on the house, too,” whined Nikola, burring his face in his hands.

Sadik drove them in silence and, around halfway to the cottage, Abraxas woke up.

“What happened,” he asked groggily.

“Someone blew up the houses,” said Nikola, still thinking about how the insurance company wouldn’t give him any money when they found out his most valuable things weren’t in the house.

“What?” Abraxas attempted to stand up, but, banged his head and groaned.

“And, my blood supply is gone,” whined Sadik, then, he looked at Nikola.

“Would you mind?” Nikola sighed.

“I’ll feed you. But, can’t you drink from animals?” Abraxas huffed next to him.

“Do you enjoy eating junk food? Because, that is the equivalent for vampires when it comes to animal blood,” when Abraxas finished, Nikola got thoughtful.

“There are two of you and one of me,” Sadik growled at that.

“Abraxas can find an animal to drink from. You will be feeding just me,” Abraxas attempted to protest, but Sadik stopped the car and leveled him with a glare.

“Fine. I guess I’ll find Bambi’s mom, or something,” Sadik turned around and resumed driving them.

“How much longer?” Nikola looked around.

“Well, I have only come in here with a bike, so, I don’t know. But, not much. Usually, it takes me three hours to get there. You should know that the road gets uneven the closer one gets to the house,” just as he said that, the car hit a road bump.

“Everyone, watch your heads,” said Sadik, looking at the dirt road ahead. The road led to a picturesque cottage with tainted glass windows. It was beige, like how Nikola’s old house used to be. But the windows had crosses on them, and Sadik found them intriguing.

“Is this it?” Abraxas looked at the cottage with a scrunched up nose. “This looks like something that has only one room.”

“I have a guest room, in there,” defended himself Nikola. “But, I haven’t come by since last year. It will be dusty.”

“We can clean the place up,” Sadik noticed how the lawn was in disarray. Flowers and weeds grew side by side. “But first, I’ll feed.”

“Well, I’ll leave you two love birds to your fucking,” said Abraxas, staring at the calm lake that was seen from the parking lot. “Guess it is fish blood today. Ugh, I will need to catch at least twenty to get enough blood out of them.”

“Bring the dead fish back. We’ll cook it,” commanded Sadik. Abraxas mumbled something about how he was a slave and how things have not changed, and went to the lake. Nikola turned away when Abraxas began to strip. Sadik, however, did not.

“Sadik!” Sadik took his eyes off the frame of his once lover and smiled sheepishly.

“Sorry, lamb. My eyes just wandered,” Nikola huffed at him and took his bag from the open trunk.

“Make sure that they don’t anymore,” Sadik grinned and took his things too. He, unlike Nikola, had not thought to grab his laptop. And, his soap opera was starting in five minutes. He entered the cottage after Nikola and unloaded his things on the nearest chair.

There was a love seat, but no couch. Sadik decided to monopolize it for Nikola and he. Abraxas could sit on the floor. He took another step further into the house and dust got in the air.

“The dust bunnies are going to eat us alive,” he teased as Nikola poked his head from one of the two bedrooms that the house had. Otherwise, the living room and kitchen were one and the same room and there was another door which Sadik presumed led to the bathroom.

“Once it is clean, you’ll see the charm. I come here to unwind,” Nikola grinned, and Sadik found himself smiling too. This could be like a honeymoon. An early one before the wedding. Now, only if his house didn’t have to get blown up for him to have this.  

3