Chapter 42
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You want to take my grandson away!” Accused Emilia when Sadik told her of his proposition.

“Not take away, make sure he is looked after when…” Nikola didn’t want to imply that she was getting on in years, but she was. And the boy was just five. She had maybe twenty years in her. Less, if she insisted on working while she still could.

“I won’t stand for it! I resign!” Emilia screamed, and the two men saw Eric’s hopeful face fall.

“Look at him,” demanded Sadik, pointing at Eric. “He was over the moon when he heard. There is nothing wrong with him having a bigger family. We can help you take care of him. As I said, you can move in with the three of us. Emi, you are not getting any younger.”

Nikola winced at the thunderous expression on Emilia’s face.

“I may be old, but at least I am the boy’s relative! The two of you are not!” Sadik sighed. He looked at the little boy who was looking at him with pleading eyes.

“He is well looked after,” admitted Sadik, and he saw how that pacified Emilia somewhat. “You do your best by him, even when it is at your expense. But, Emi, be reasonable. You are exhausted after work. Your age shows. Don’t frown at me. Nikola and I can give the boy the care that you can’t, since you work every day.”

“He works too. However, you seem to think he has time for a child,” retorted Emilia, looking pointedly at Nikola.

“I have more flexible hours,” said Nikola. He felt a migraine coming on. Which was bad. Seeing as he needed to do the tours at the zoo later today. Sadik and his shift was at three pm. And it was already one.

“Why my grandson? Why can’t you two go to an orphanage? They let gay couples adopt, now,” Emilia had a pleading undertone to her voice now. She knew, on some level, that Sadik was dangerous. That, if he wanted to take her light and joy away, he could.

“We are thinking about Eric’s wellbeing. And yours,” repeated Sadik for what seemed to be the hundredth time. “Emi, you are a part of my family. And so is Eric. Why can’t we make it official?”

“Because you will take him and leave!” Snapped Emilia, a crystal clear tear running down her cheek. “The only thing I have left from my son. The only reason why I get up in the morning.”

She began sobbing, then, and Sadik felt like trash. Eric went to hug and pat her back.

“It is ok, grandma. I don’t want to leave you. Don’t cry,” the boy kissed his grandmother’s cheek, and she began to cry harder. She moved her hands around the child, clutching at him.

“We won’t leave,” assured her Sadik. He couldn’t let this child fall between the cracks of the system. He knew what awaited such children. False hopes and disappointments.

“You came twenty years ago,” spoke Emilia between sobs. “And you told me then that you will leave in another forty. In twenty years, you will take my grandson and leave. And I will remain here, with a broken heart.”

Nikola and Sadik shared a look, and Sadik tried to convey a plea to Nikola with his eyes alone. Nikola nodded.

“We will take you along,” said Nikola in the most earnest way he could. “That is a promise, Emi. Think about it. Eric will have the best of the best. He will go to a private school. Then to a private high school and finally a good university or college. He will have everything you can’t, but want to, give him. And he will also have two new parents. And, along the way, a sister, too.”

Emilia looked between Sadik and Nikola, judging them silently. Then, she gave up entirely.

“May God judge you if you are lying,” she said weakly. Those were quite the harsh words, and both men felt unease at them. “You may adopt my grandson.”

Eric looked from his grandmother to the two men, and his eyes widened. Emilia turned to look at him and gently brushed a strand of hair from his eyes.

“You can’t call them uncles now. But, you get to pick who is dad and who is a papa. You hear?” Eric nodded, as if in a trance, and hugged his grandmother in a tight hug. He giggled, and the woman cracked a smile. “Now, we need to get you dressed. You still have an outing for today.”

Eric let go of his grandmother and looked shyly at his grandmother and then at Sadik.

“Dad?” Sadik grinned, and he sent a victorious look at Nikola.

“Guess you are a papa,” Nikola sighed.

“I didn’t expect to win that one. But, I am not out of the running for favorite parent, am I, kiddo?” Eric grinned and shook his head.

“Now, wait here, kid. Everyone knows the dad is the one to be favored!” Protested Sadik.

“And the mother is holly,” rasped Emilia, and Nikola’s eyes widened. “You gave up the role. I am glad for it. You are too lax to be a mother.”

Eric looked at Nikola shyly next.

“Mama?” Nikola’s eyebrows shot up.

“Papa, I won’t back down on that,” said Nikola sternly.

“That is what a mama would say,” the boy said teasingly, and Nikola stood up. The boy ran and Nikola gave chase. The boy’s small legs let him down and soon, he was in the air and tickled.

“He needs to change! I have the perfect outfit for him. Seeing as you are the papa, you get to help,” called Emilia, a found smile on her face. Perhaps this wasn’t going to be too bad. Eric was already attached to the two men. And Nikola was truly motherly, Emilia had to admit.

She knew Eric looked at the other children at kindergarten with longing when their parents came to pick them up. He loved her and she loved him. But she couldn’t deny he had been lacking this. And he was going to get a sibling. Single children grew lonely, with time. She was happy that it won’t happen with Eric.  

0