Chapter 52
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 “This, all this, is Purgatory,” Satan spread his arms wide and Nikola looked in the white nothingness. He had kept up with the snow, and it was piling up in their feet now. Which was progress, as far as Nikola was concerned.

“The castaways get send here. I have to break it to you, you are unique, but not special. Not the first case of incest between feathered fucks. Vampires were the product of sexy time between two Nosferatu. Werewolves, I think, were Michael’s by-blow,” Nikola raised an eyebrow at that.

“Why wasn’t he punished for that?” Nikola couldn’t understand how his parents were both killed and Michael had not been.

“He killed his lover and hid the child. Presented a human corpse and let his son be raised by mortals,” Nikola nodded. Yes, that sounded like something Michael would do. Still, he had spared the child. That was good to hear.

“So, why should I be the ruler of Purgatory if the other inhuman beings also descent from angels?” Nikola liked the idea that he had not been the only mistake the angels had made. It made him feel less like a freak.

“Because, your parents were quite high ranking. I can’t utter their names because then people will catch up on the fact that I am here. Nasty business, that, to execute someone and then place a taboo on their names. To erase them from history altogether. Especially since they were quite the frontline fighters in the war between Heaven and Hell,” Nikola didn’t kid himself that Satan had mentioned the war accidentally. He wanted something, and Nikola could figure out what by himself.

“After I take over here, you want me to help you in that war?” Nikola found that beating around the bush was not something he had the luxury of — now. So, he was straightforward.

“No. You see, Purgatory is between Heaven and Hell. I want you to bar the gates of here and end the war. I figured out I couldn’t win some centuries ago. But, I have a good gig down there. I am feared, respected and loved,” Nikola blinked at that. The Devil, loved?

“Yes, loved. Everyone can get a lover these days. Even me. I even have a church with a following down on Earth. However, we can chat about how things are looking up for me some other time. Perhaps over tea and biscuits,” despite himself, Nikola cracked a smile. Satan had a sense of humor. Who knew?

“Anyway, no one has ever claimed this place, despite many ending here to be driven insane after a sham of a trial. Werewolves, at least the first one, used to be immortal. He didn’t make it. He couldn’t tame the anything of Purgatory. Unlike how you are now doing,” Nikola reached out and snow covered his hand. He had been doing it for some sort of comfort. He had always loved snow. Since before, he found his powers and then forgot about them.

Winters were his happiest time of the year. Rositza always took him out to play, even when they had grown up. Well, that had all stopped when Boris had died. Suddenly, any childlike joy his sister had about the season had disappeared. Her heart had hardened, and she had locked him out of her life. Apart from the time, she needed his programming skills.

“How can I go about claiming it?” Sure, he can fill the place up with snow, but then he would only be left with piles of the stuff. That was not claiming it.

“I have no idea,” Nikola frowned. “Oh, don’t look at me like that. You think if I knew, I wouldn’t have taken it for myself? I like power, child. Always have.”

Nikola supposed that he had been thought that, in church. At least one thing had been correct. He was glad. Satan shifted in his chair as trumpets blazed in the distance.

“Well, they are onto me. And onto you. You might face another trial. Remember, no one can take you from here,” that both heartened Nikola and made him uneasy. His goal was to get away from this place. Back to Sadik, Eric and Emilia. If no one could take him out of here, then, did that mean that he couldn’t leave?

“Have fun and good luck! Don’t do anything I wouldn’t,” Satan disappeared and Nikola imagined a bunker around himself. It appeared, and there was snow on the floor. Quickly, he burned a ward in the walls. He heard rasping from outside the thick metal walls seconds later.

“I know you are in here! How dare you speak to the Devil!” It was Michael. Nikola imagined the blizzard outside picking up pace. He saw an angry red patch on the door in the shape of a hand. It was near where there should have been a doorknob. Nikola willed the door unbreakable, and it held.

“You will end up in Hell with your new friend at this rate. Kid, think about your prospects,” Michael sounded pleading. Nikola remembered that old fairy tale about a goat mother, her seven kits and a wolf, then.

“You are the wolf, even if you have covered yourself in flour! Go away. I won’t let you in,” Nikola giggled as he heard a roar from outside. He was being childish, but, for all he knew, he was in a coma. And, if he didn’t wake up soon, he would end up in a government facility.

To be dissected alive in hopes that his blood could be turned into medicine or something. He didn’t have time for Michael. So, he willed him out. He heard a scream from outside. One filled with confusion. And then the only thing that could be heard from outside was the winter winds.

Nikola got out of the bunker and breathed in the fresh air. Purgatory listened to him. He imagined a tree, then. One that was in full bloom. Why shouldn’t the castaways have paradise? Who decreed it?

He wanted this place to be filled with all the seasons, bar summer. He didn’t like summer. Too hot, he got too sweaty, and he needed to wear shorts and T-shirts and not his sweaters. The tree had its leaves on, and they were colored a vibrant green. Nikola went and touched one of the blossoms. Then, he got to work.   

0