Chapter 46 – A Broken Heart
50 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I blearily opened my eyes to the sight of oppressive darkness. Where the hell am I?

As my senses slowly returned, I realized I was lying on a soft mattress. A brief rub of my finger on the material was enough for me to recognize the sensation: it was my mattress. Which means I'm in my room.

My muscles felt weak as I sat up, although whether from fatigue or muscle atrophy, I couldn't tell. With how much time I spent every day immobile inside Mr. Marion, it was probably the latter. My head pounded with a light headache as well, and I realized my mana pool wasn't full yet. In fact, its regeneration rate was significantly reduced. Was it a side effect of pushing myself too hard?

Once I realized I was in my room, the darkness around me didn't seem so oppressive anymore. There was a weak source of light beside me that feebly pushed against the darkness, but it flickered from time to time. My magic lantern was almost dead. There was also an incessant background noise, as if there were a bunch of people chattering from a distance, but I was sure I was alone in my room. Am I suffering from hallucinations now?

As I composed myself, I recalled the events that happened before I lost consciousness. I was trying to create more puppets like Mr. Marion and Taloress, but for some reason, it took a weird toll on me. Looking back on when I was creating the puppets, an instinctual part of me knew that even if I finished forming their bodies, the puppets would be incomplete. So I unconsciously provided that missing ingredient by putting a ‘part of me’ inside the puppets.

The only problem was that I don't even have any idea what the hell I was talking about. I just called the missing ingredient ‘a part of me’ because I instinctually knew that was exactly what it was, although the specifics were beyond me. All I knew was that creating sentient puppets not only required mana and fabric, but a ‘part’ of me as well, and it seems that creating too many sentient puppets at once was a bad idea. In hindsight, I probably should've just created a few puppets at a time, not all in one go.

Curiously, my fabric sense was deactivated. It must have turned off when I lost consciousness. For a moment, I was worried that my puppets passed out as well, but the fact that I woke on my mattress and not on the cold hard ground was enough proof that they were still active.

I wonder how long I've been out?

My stomach made a gurgling noise that would have rivaled the Grisly Bear's roar. Long enough, I guess.

I activated my fabric sense, and the things I detected made my jaw drop.

The puppets I created before I lost consciousness were now active, all one hundred of them. But what surprised me more was the fact that they were all working already.

In the Retting room, puppets deposited plant stalks inside the water pools to soften the stems. In the Breaking room, every flax break was manned by a puppet as they broke plant stalks without pause. In the Scutching and Combing room, puppets repeatedly scraped off shives from the fibers before combing them until they were as smooth as a woman's hair. And in the Weaving room, puppets operated the spinning wheels and looms, already producing sizable piles of finished fabrics and textiles. My factory is now operational.

A few seconds after I activated my fabric sense, I suddenly felt all the puppets inside the factory freeze as if time suddenly stopped. The chatters that I've been hearing halted as well, the sudden silence deafening.

Then in a terrifying display, all of them slowly faced my direction as they felt my presence. Even though I couldn't see them through the walls and vice versa, my fabric sense was enough to tell me that the puppets were staring at me. Alright, that is fucking terrifying.

As if on cue, the chatters came back and grew into a crescendo as all of them suddenly left their posts, rushing towards my room. Thankfully, they chose to stop just outside my doors, although they looked so eager to bash the door down. What the hell is going on?!

Then the chatters suddenly became clear to me.

The Master is back! The Master is back!

The Master has finally awoken!

I will show Him the fruits of my labor! And He will surely reward me with a name!

I felt my headache worsen from all the voices I was hearing simultaneously. A major portion of my mind wanted to completely tune them out, but a smaller, more instinctive part wanted to revel in my puppets' idolatry. After all, it was my due…

I shook my head as I willed my Authority to ignore the voices of my newborn puppets. The incessant chatter in my mind immediately ceased, allowing me some semblance of peace. What the hell is going on?

After a brief moment of silence, a weird and subtle sensation came over me, and I instinctively knew that it was Mr. Marion trying to reach me. I allowed his voice to reach me.

Master? Are you finally awake?

Yes, and I'm fine. How long was I out?

You were unconscious for five days, Master, Mr. Marion replied.

I was rendered speechless at the revelation. Five days?! I've been lying unconscious on this mattress for five days while our deadline was fast approaching?!

Not to worry, Master. We made sure that you're plans are still on schedule while you were unconscious, Mr. Marion reassured me.

I remembered what I felt with my fabric sense earlier. One hundred newborn puppets, working tirelessly and efficiently. The piles of finished fabric, continuously accumulating and waiting to be turned into beautiful dresses and garments. I wasn't behind schedule. All because my puppets took initiative when I passed out. Thank you, Mr. Marion.

Ah, it is no big deal, Master. My other siblings helped as well, Mr. Marion said nonchalantly, but I could feel the intense feeling of pride after he heard my words.

Can you brief me on the things that happened while I was asleep? I asked.

Mr. Marion proceeded to tell me of the events I missed, and I couldn't help but whistle in amazement when he finished. Here I was, thinking my puppets would be helpless when I wasn't there, but it turned out they were capable enough to take care of things even when I was gone. It boded well for the future.

I'm very proud of all of you, Mr. Marion. I hope you guys continue to amaze me, I said sincerely.

Ah, I, ah. T-Thank you for your praise, Master, Mr. Marion stuttered, much to my amusement.

Alright, it's time I get back to business, I said as I stood up. Mr. Marion, tell the newborn puppets to calm the fuck down and go to our Supply room. I'll greet them there.

It would be rude to create dozens of living and sentient puppets and just ignore them. I may have created them solely for their labor, but that didn't mean I wouldn't treat them well. I created them, and that meant they were also a part of my family, just like Mr. Marion, Taloress, Tedd, and Spider. Does that make me a father?

I waited until all the newborn puppets were inside the Supply room before I left my bedroom, my magic lantern in hand. Waiting for me were my four older puppets, as well as one of the newborn puppets, although I could tell it was different from the rest of the newborns. It must be the puppet that Mr. Marion chose to be the leader.

I should probably start categorizing my puppets based on their birthdates to avoid confusion. From now on, Tedd is part of the First-Generation puppets. Mr. Marion, Taloress, and Spider belong to the Second-Generation puppets. And lastly, the one hundred newborn puppets belong to the Third-Generation. That would make things easier to understand.

“Hey, guys. I'm glad—” I began, but before I could finish, Taloress picked me up and gave me a tight hug.

Master! I'm glad you're fine!

This servant is happy as well to sssee the Massster is fine, Spider hissed happily as his tentacles coiled around my limbs.

Don't forget about me! Tedd exclaimed as he climbed up Taloress' shoulder and hugged my head.

I felt a bit embarrassed for being shown so much care, but I still laughed merrily. “I'm happy to see you guys too.”

All of you are inconveniencing Master, Mr. Marion chided his siblings, although I knew he was feeling the same way as his other siblings.

After a few more moments, my puppets finally let go of me, although Tedd stayed on my shoulder. I turned to the Third-Generation puppet waiting behind my other puppets, who looked green with envy as it watched our interaction. “Well, hello there. Mr. Marion informed me that you will be the leader of the newborn puppets. Are you fine with that?”

The puppet nodded eagerly and gave me a salute. I will be honored to receive this responsibility, Master! Rest assured that I will never disappoint!

“No need to be so tense,” I said. “Well, since you're fine with it, I guess the only thing left to do before I address the rest of your siblings is to give you a name! Do you already have something in mind?”

It would be a great honor if the Master gave me my name Himself, the puppet said.

“By the way, do you happen to have a gender preference..?” I asked awkwardly. I had no idea if puppets even cared about having a sexual identity. The only reason Mr. Marion and Taloress had genders was that I had no idea they were alive when I created them.

If this puppet may be so bold, I desire to have the same gender as the Master! the puppet announced.

“Alright then. From now on, you will be Manny, Leader of the Third-Generation Puppets and General Manager of Grisly Hall!” I announced imperiously. “Your task will be to oversee all fabric production in the Grisly Hall and ensure that everything runs smoothly. I look forward to working with you, Manny.”

If feelings were visible, Manny would have glowed brighter than the sun with the immense pride and gratitude he was emitting. Thank you, Master! Thank you!

Master, why does Manny get a title and we don't?! Taloress exclaimed petulantly.

Taloress, you overstep yourself! Mr. Marion shouted, although I knew he felt the same way.

“Well, I just made it up,” I said bluntly. “I just wanted to put some flair with the task delegations, but if you guys want one too, I could give you some.”

I want! I want! Taloress said like a spoiled brat. I'm not a spoiled brat!

Oops, my thoughts must've reached her.

“Alright. Mr. Marion!” I exclaimed. Mr. Marion immediately stood at attention. “From now on, you shall be known as the Masked Gentleman. Your tasks include carrying me around when we're in public and taking over things when I'm not around.”

Yes, Master! Mr. Marion shouted with pride.

Me next! Me next! Taloress shouted excitedly.

“Taloress. From now on, you shall be called the, uh…” I struggled to think of a title for her. “The… Blooming Lady!”

Oooh! Taloress squealed. I am flattered that Master thinks of me as a lady!

I didn't bother to mention the fact that I included ‘Blooming’ in her title because she still acted like an immature brat. Quite unlike me, really.

“From now on, you'll be my bodyguard and will escort me wherever I go.”

Yay! I get to stay with Master all the time!

Bodyguard duty was actually just an excuse to keep her in my sight at all times. I didn't want to find out what she would do by herself when I or Selise weren't there to keep an eye on her.

“Spider, you will be known simply as the Monstrosity. Your task solely consists of safeguarding our territory and eliminating threats from within and without.”

Just like I thought, Spider liked the grotesque-sounding title I gave him, his tentacles wriggling in joy. Even I was enjoying giving out titles to my puppets. For identification purposes only, of course. I wasn't giving out titles just because they sounded cool. That would be… immature.

“And lastly.” I turned my attention to the little stuffed bear on my shoulder. “Tedd, my first ever friend. You have stayed with me the longest and so will have the best title.”

Tedd started radiating pride and excitement.

“You will be known as,” I paused for a little bit of flair. Tedd waited expectantly. “…the Baby Bear.”

There was a long pause as the puppets waited for more, but when they realized I was serious, they broke out into a clamor. Taloress and Spider laughed merrily, Mr. Marion remained silent but exuded mirth, and Manny simply looked confused.

Tedd, on the other hand, was indignant. Master, although I am thankful for being given a title, why do my younger siblings get better-sounding titles?!

“That's payback for being such a smartass back when we were still in Erfeld.”

But that was just you talking to yourself!

“That's beside the point!” I exclaimed, even if it wasn't. “From now on, you will be known as Tedd the Baby Bear.”

Tedd tried to plead for a cooler title, but I just chuckled at his plight like an asshole. Tedd ended up sulking on my shoulder.

“Alright, with all those out of the way, let's proceed to our main agendas,” I announced as I started walking towards the Supply room where the Third-Generation puppets were waiting. I was a bit tempted to ride Mr. Marion, but walking with my own feet was probably better if I wanted to avoid crippling myself. My body was already thin enough as it was what with the lack of exercise and the little amount of food I ate.

When I entered the large Supply room, the ninety-nine Third-Generation puppets froze. I raised my magic lantern to let its feeble light illuminate some of the puppets at the front. Despite being made of cloth, their eyes looked like they gleamed under the magic light, filled with intensity. I may have tuned out their voices from my head, but I could still feel their intense fervor as they watched me with fanatic eyes. It was honestly disturbing.

Their appearances were exactly similar to Manny's, from the dark shade of grey down to the last weave of thread. Thankfully, my Authority allowed me to easily identify and differentiate my puppets from each other, even if they looked the same. Which was a blessing since I planned to name each and every one of them.

The room was silent as I assessed the Third-Generation puppets and they assessed me back. To be honest, I felt intimidated by the fact that I just added a hundred new members to my ‘family’ so easily. Granted, it had a high cost that led to me losing consciousness for five days, but in exchange for creating a hundred sentient, living beings? It was a bargain.

The only downside to having this many puppets was the mana cost. My mana pool that used to fill up within two hours now slowed down to a trickle, even though I wasn't casting magic. The upkeep for the puppets was high, and I considered keeping some of them inactive if things weren't so hectic.

I breathed in deeply and tried to project an aura of leadership and majesty, although I felt like some of it was lost because I was a kid. But it still felt surreal to have this much power over so many people. It felt… exhilarating. Addicting.

I stopped tuning out my puppets' voices. I expected another wave of noise to assault my mind, but everything was silent. They were waiting for me.

“Greetings, my dear puppets!” I shouted, my voice echoing in the dark chamber. “I know all of you have been eager to meet me since the day I created you. I apologize for not being able to do so since creating you had been an exhausting act.”

The puppets bristled in discomfort at my apology, but before any of them could speak, Manny glared at them. Nobody will interrupt the Master.

You just did, though, I thought to myself.

“I am glad that all of you feel worried for my well-being, but worry no more!” I continued. “I am now awake and healthy, and today, I am proud to announce the official establishment of our company as well as the birth of all of you, the Third-Generation puppets! I welcome you all to our family!”

The puppets were still silent, courtesy of Manny's order to not interrupt me, but I could feel all of them radiating pure pride and joy.

“I'm sure Mr. Marion had already informed all of you of our situation and the tasks that we need to accomplish. We will all be busy in the coming days and I know you are eager to return to your work, but before all of that, a company is not a company without a proper name,” I said with an excited grin.

I had been thinking of the company's name for a long time now, before I even settled in the Wild Woods. I struggled to think of a good name, so I decided, ‘what better name other than the owner's name?’ A lot of companies already used the names of their owners, so I might as well do it too. Although in my case, I added a bit of a twist. It wouldn't do to have my true identity known or else people who already thought me dead would find out I was still alive. That would open a whole can of worms.

“So on this fateful day, I, Brogen Arte, declare that we shall be known as the Broken Heart Company! We will make our name known far and wide across the kingdom, nay, the world! We may be a fledgling company now, but soon, people will know of our power and prestige! I will reach for the heavens, and all of you will reach it with me!”

This time, the puppets could no longer hold back their voices. They cheered and shouted as they threw up their arms in excitement. Manny didn't chide them since he was screaming and shouting as well. Mr. Marion was outwardly composed, but I could feel his intense anticipation for the future that was yet to come. Taloress and Spider were doing a weird dance, wiggling their limbs in excitement, while Tedd jumped up and down on my shoulder, no longer sulking.

I was feeling light-headed from the excitement as well. I had spent months of preparation and planning for this, and my effort was starting to bear fruit. Soon, I will no longer have to hide from society. Let them know another Ascendant lived in their midst! But they will be powerless to force me to bend the knee. They will give me the respect I deserve.

But that was in due time. For now, I would have to bide my time and slowly grow my power, starting with debuting my company to society. I would have to be careful and keep things subtle to avoid catching unnecessary attention, especially with my methods of production. I hoped there was no such thing as inspections around here. It wouldn't do to have my factory inspected by others. I don't think they'd appreciate seeing a factory run entirely by living puppets.

“Alright, all of you can go back to work! We have goals to accomplish and the deadline is nearing. By the end of the week, I expect to have enough clothes to dress every person in Wildpost a hundred times over!” I shouted.

Your will is my command, Master! Manny said resolutely beside me. He proceeded to break up the gathering of puppets, barking orders at them to get back to work.

What shall we do next, Master? Mr. Marion asked.

“I was thinking of getting the goblins to join our workforce. That would boost our output, I think. But that could wait, my stomach cannot. I'm starving!

We shall prepare a grand feast for you to celebrate this milestone, Master, Mr. Marion declared before leading Taloress and Spider outside.

“You're not going with them?” I asked Tedd, who was still standing on my shoulder. How he could stay stable with his padded paws, I would never know.

I have yet to report my observations regarding the goblins, Master.

Ah, I almost forgot. I had Tedd hidden in the trees last time to observe the goblins and inform me of how they ran things. He was supposed to report to me after a week, but I fell unconscious before I could. “So, what can you tell me?”

Let's start with how they reproduce…

●●●

Tedd's report had been… disturbing, to say the least. His report merely consisted of observations regarding the goblins' way of life, but the revelation was a stark reminder that goblins were not humans and had far different values from us.

For instance, goblins were numerous, but only a portion of them manage to become hobgoblins. But if there were so few hobgoblins, how did they reproduce so fast?

Well, it seemed that the goblin ‘children’ weren't like human children. Goblin children physically matured at a very young age, which meant they could start reproducing even if they still hadn't grown into what I thought was their ‘adult stage,’ which was the hobgoblin form. The goblins who looked like children already engaged in sexual intercourse.

It was an extremely disturbing revelation, although it was mitigated somewhat when Tedd told me not all goblin children were children. If a goblin failed to become a hobgoblin, then they would remain in their ‘child’ form until they grew old and died. Some of the goblins outside the cave that I thought were children were actually old by their standards.

But that didn't mean my discomfort was gone. Earth's abhorrence of pedophilia and child sexual abuse stayed strongly with me, but the thing was, it only applied to humans. As much as I tried to compare them with human children, goblins were a different species. Even if they looked like kids, they were already mature in their standards. Add the fact that their species were constantly being hunted by humans and their dire need to reproduce to keep their species alive was understandable.

But that didn't mean I had to like it. The goblins may be considered mature by their standards, but the way they acted seemed so childlike.

I understand Master's discomfort, Tedd had said. But it is normal for goblin culture. They engage in sexual intercourse frequently to increase their numbers, and from what I observed, none of it was forced.

“If you say so,” I grumbled, but it still didn't sit right with me.

The rest of Tedd's report was less concerning. The goblins divided their tribes into groups, each with specific tasks. Some were responsible for cooking and cleaning, some dug the waste pits they used as toilets, some cared for the pregnant goblins, and some trained under Kral's watch. But most of their tribe was relegated to foraging and hunting for food. As a species that reproduced quickly, food was always a vital resource for the goblins, and gathering food was almost a holy task that they did with fervor.

Tedd also observed the system of leadership of the Stone Axe Tribe. Zerza, the female hobgoblin who always talked to me and gave offerings of fruits and nuts, was the Shaman and the leader of the tribe. All the other goblins, as well as the male hobgoblin, deferred to her authority.

Tedd also observed that Zerza often ruled the tribe with a firm hand, harshly punishing the goblins who failed to accomplish their tasks successfully. It was a bit too authoritarian for my liking, but hey, who was I to talk? I ordered my puppets around like a dictator too, although I did respect their autonomy. The Stone Axe Tribe was not my tribe to run anyway. I was only responsible for their protection.

Tedd's report included other details regarding goblin culture, which I listened to while we waited for the food to arrive. When Mr. Marion fetched me half an hour later and let me inside his body, I realized he wasn't exaggerating when he said he was going to prepare a grand feast.

The Masked Gentleman led me to the clearing outside where a shit ton of food was laid out on top of Spider, who had turned himself into a long table. There was way too much food for me to consume alone, not to mention that all of them were monster meat since we had no vegetables around here. There was even a whole fucking roasted warg on a spit beside Spider.

“Mr. Marion, how do you expect me to eat all of this?”

Master could just use the Preservation spell on them to make them last indefinitely.

He had a point there, but the amount of meat in front of me could last for weeks, not to mention they were all roasted. I loved roasted meat, but if I had to keep eating the same shit for days on end, I'd consider eating Disserla's hair to add some greens to my diet.

“Why don't we invite some of the goblins to eat with us? It'd be selfish to eat all of this by myself,” I said to Mr. Marion. He looked at the drooling goblins in the distance with disdain.

If the Master wills it, Mr. Marion finally said, much to my relief. No way I'm eating only meat for the rest of the month.

When I announced to the goblins that they were all invited to the feast, all of them scrambled to reach the table, although Spider's tentacles swatted at their grubby hands. The Massster shall be the first one to taste the feast we prepared, mongrelsss.

I stopped myself from rolling my eyes at my stubborn puppets and claimed my plate of meat first. At my nod, Spider reluctantly allowed the goblins to get their plates of roasted meat, some of them even snarling at each other as they reached for the same plate.

“Oi, no fighting,” I chided as I bopped one of the goblin's heads, who gave me a sheepish smile filled with sharp teeth.

As I ate, I finally noticed some of the female goblins who had bumps on their stomachs. The pregnant goblins. I felt a hint of unease at the sight, but I comforted myself with the fact that none of them looked depressed or anything. They even seemed to be happy as they chattered with their fellow pregnant tribesmen. Well, as long as they're happy with it.

Zerza and Kral soon arrived, the female hobgoblin shouting praises and gratitude to my face as she reached me. I stuffed an entire jackalope's leg in her mouth to shut her up.

Disserla and Wennena arrived too, although they didn't partake of the food since they didn't need to eat. They did take some of the meat so they could bury it beside their Hometrees as fertilizer. Monster meat was nutritious, they said.

I watched the feast with a satisfied feeling in my chest. It was pretty surreal to see goblins, dryads, and living puppets in one place, but I would have to get used to it.

Chapter 47 might be delayed since I have an appointment tomorrow. Thanks for your understanding!

1