Chapter 103: The Church of Aurena.
563 3 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Not every business closes on RestDay, as the economy of a town mustn’t completely stop on a single day every week. Adventurers may flock into town on any day and at any time, so both adventurer guilds must stay open,” Barathan explained as we walked through the streets on our way to the temple. “Artisans and laborers will take a break on this day. With people enjoying their rest day, taverns and street vendors stay open to serve them.”

This was only my first day in town, but I already was wondering why so many people were still working today. You see, RestDay, Peolynca’s Sunday, was considered a day of rest so people may pray to the gods and heal their fatigue for the next week of work. However, the hunter’s guild was half full of people anyway, and even had those three receptionists working.

We left the guild after selling all of our rank G, F, and E monster materials at the guild, earning us a whopping 6743 Davi. To be honest, the only reason why we were able to earn this much was due to the mountain of pelts, claws, scales, carapaces, and fangs I had stored up after every single “Idol concert strategy” I’ve done with Saori. The material from rank G and F monsters were practically worthless compared to those from rank D and C monsters.

We could have made even more by selling the higher tier materials, but we wanted to keep those for equipment. Ruld mentioned a blacksmith, so I wanted to wait until we met him or her before selling everything. Thank goodness the rank E material was profitable. Saori couldn’t stop smiling after we left the guild.

Now to our next destination, the temple. We had to walk through the same street again and that was when I noticed a bustling market nearby. That was when I asked Barathan about RestDay and why so many people were still working.

“I see, that is understandable. If you do not work, you do not get to eat. Not every man and woman can afford to not work, so the day is more a suggestion instead of a must,” Saori stated, earning a sharp nod from Barathan. “This is quite different from how you grew up, correct, Tasianna?”

She nodded to Saori’s response. “I grew up praying to Goddess Zephira during the morning of RestDay and then spending the rest of my day frolicking with everybody else. The liveness of this town cannot compete.”

This was one of the major reasons why Tasianna has been keeping us updated on the days ever since we met her. As Tasianna was religious and a devout follower of Zephira and Plesia, she took counting the days seriously. During our time together, she always spent a small amount of time in the morning to give those two goddesses a small prayer before returning to her duties, believing a maid should make her mistress’s day more peaceful.

“If you are wondering if the temple is open today, Lady Hestia, then please do not worry. As servants of the Goddess, they can never rest when their services might be needed. Winter is a dreadful time for everybody’s health, though we are lucky Firwood does not receive storms as often as the north.” Barathan raised his head to the skies, inspecting its blue luster. “God Krunal blesses us.”

“Services, huh? Do you mean the ‘white grace?’ I’ve noticed the upper district covered in snow; don’t they have one of those temperature regulators like at Lady Ellaine’s mansion? There would be fewer people sick if it wasn’t so cold,” I asked, barely noticing the cold myself as my core was managing my body temperature.

Barathan showed me a smile before bowing in respect, continuing where he left off, “As expected of you, Lady Hestia. While their wealth may be enough to acquire a [Season Regulator], it is very unlikely that most merchants would buy one due to the maintenance costs. Nobles are born with a high affinity to mana due to their venerable bloodlines, making it easy for them to fuel manatech without the need of mana batteries. However, the merchant district is still a commoner district; some have innate talents in magic, but most cannot even write a sentence with a mana pen. A merchant might use their mana batteries for certain luxuries, but their houses are not mansions, so a simple hearth is simpler and more cost-effective.”

Ellaine always used these mana pens whenever she needed to write on something. Using her mana as the ink, Ellaine would sometimes fill out documents when I visited her. Considering she never showed signs of exhaustion whenever she wrote with it, most humans must really have low mana.

“You surprisingly know a lot about the town, considering you’re the seneschal of a village, Barathan,” I said in wonder, pleasantly surprised at how he was able to answer every question with confidence.

“Your words honor me, Lady Hestia; however, it is only natural. I was once the head butler of House Helvas’s mansion in Firwood, after all,” he stated with pride. “My grandfather was the previous seneschal of Carine village, but he, unfortunately, passed away a few winters ago; may he rest well with Goddess Death. I handed over my role as the leading servant here to Manuela and have been living in Helvas County ever since. I would be a failure of a butler if I didn’t know this much about the town I once worked at.”

“My condolences, Sir Barathan,” Saori said politely. “How is the rest of your family? Were they not at the mansion to greet you, or do they live somewhere else?”

Puffing his chest up, Barathan continued with curved lips. “My father and mother work as the leading servants at the mansion in Cedaraille, and my brothers and sister work as regular servants at the mansion in Griffonpeak. I presume they are doing well as I have not received a notice. As you might have noticed, my family are loyal servants of House Helvas, and we’ve been given the family name ‘Kiesmay’ for our service.”

Saori clapped her hands in wonder. “A respectable family line, I must say. If possible, could you indulge me in the town’s history? I’ve noticed a few distinct architecture in the merchant district; they seem different around the marketplace.”

“A sharp eye, Madam! It all goes back to the war and the following uprising which created the current kingdom. As you can see—”

Barathan continued giving us small historical trivia of the town, exciting Saori enough to awaken the historian inside of her. The two of them conversed mostly one-on-one while Tasianna and I ignored them. While interesting, learning about the history of Firwood’s architecture wasn’t really that amazing to listen to.

After a while, we finally reached the upper district. We immediately made our way to the temple, which was next to the noble district’s gate we had passed through earlier.

Looking at the building, it fitted perfectly with the nobles’ decorated mansions, as its walls were pristine marble white and filled with intricate engravings. Although the building was considered a temple, it looked more like a gothic catholic cathedral to Saori. She drew our attention to the murals and stone ornaments plastered on the temple’s twin towers, which towered even over the surrounding walls. Beautiful stained glass windows depicted various figures on them. In particular, the largest showed a winged woman shrouded in a veil of light as she smiled peacefully with eyes closed.

A pair of guards stood before the gates to the temple, who prompted us to show our IDs before we entered the temple area. Barathan went forwards before I could say anything and produce the same document he showed the other guards. These guards, however, weren’t able to read well, so Barathan had to read everything out loud. Suffice to say, those guards would probably remember my party’s faces from today onwards.

Honestly, the amount of people that document has scared is baffling. I know you’re the lord of Firwood and a greifnoble but Marquis Sirius, you have sealed an unworldly power into this piece of parchment.

“Barathan, I heard white-robed priests are nobles. I wish to avoid them if possible,” I told him as we entered the temple’s premises.

“Is that so?” he wondered as he raised a brow, but quickly accepted it with a nod, once again showing what a proper butler he was. “In that case, you have nothing to fear, Lady Hestia. While it might be true that most white-robed priests are nobles, as your grace is aware, that doesn’t mean commoners cannot become priests.”

Barathan then proceeded to give me a quick rundown of how the clergy worked, beginning with the two types of priests: white-robed and grey-robed clergymen.

Most of a temple’s population consisted of grey-robed priests and priestesses, with the majority being orphans raised in their orphanages who wished to stay. There were also pious volunteers here and there, but there were also banished commoners or nobles who had to serve the church as punishment for one reason or the other.

In the church’s ecosystem, the grey-robes served the white-robes similar to a servant and master relationship. While they wore the robes of a grey priest, these people were the property of the church. As hard as it was to say, that was the reality of the situation.

As mentioned by the villagers, white-robes were usually nobles. That was why they treated me as one after I introduced myself. However, commoners born with the potential to become mages were also allowed to enter the church to become an official white-robe, theoretically possessing the same influence and power as a noble priest.

Barathan informed me the reason why he tested me with the presents was ‘cause the Count wasn’t sure if I was a commoner or not. They had to test me to see what my social rank was by using the Count’s name in an attempt to intimidate me.

“I managed to pick up on your [Noble Aura], or its variants. You exuded it with every word and action, although I must criticize the way you accepted the letter, Lady Hestia. Your retainers must first accept a present to test for poison or other traps. Nothing should be more important to us attendants than our master’s or mistress’s lives and health. We must be prudent.”

Tasianna nodded to his statement, curling her hands into fists as she doubled down on protecting me in the future. Well, as long as she got along with him …

Hmhm, well, as you might have guessed, my lady, I did inform Lord Count Helvas about everything. He knew you were a noble, but we didn’t expect you to outranked us by that much.”

“Well, he will know soon enough by how much. My full name is my Profile.” I pointed at the fact I just had the hunter’s guild make a copy of my full Profile. It would be sent to Count Helvas and the king of Artorias.

“Oh, do not worry. My brothers and sisters will most likely have finished the stomach medicine for my dear lord by then.”

Continuing his explanation on the church, white-robed priests and priestesses were responsible for spreading the white grace and the word of the Aurena to the populace. Aside from healing people’s wounds and illnesses, white-robes were responsible for performing the many religious rituals, like the one I gave during the God Thanking Festival.

As most white-robes were nobles, they needed servants to attend to them, and this tradition also spread to the white-robed commoners. Whether they came from the slums or a rich merchant house, every commoner white-robe was given the same duties and right to grey-robes, which made them pseudo-nobles.

“Today is RestDay, and it is likely most of the noble white-robes have returned to their demesne in the noble district. During their tenure, all white-robes are members of the clergy and they possess the influence of one, however, nobles were still nobles. A noble priest cannot retain their House’s noble rank, but if they weren’t banished to the church through trial, they may still retain noble privileges,” he answered to reassure me. “You will only find commoner white-robes inside. At worst, the shrine maidens will remain in the church, but they must make preparations for the ‘Binding Festival’ next week.”

Shrine maidens, compared to priests and priestesses, were responsible for the maintenance of the church and the preparations of the various rituals and festivals. While a priest would handle matters concerning the political and economic side of the church, the shrine maidens took care of the day-to-day situations involving the church and its members. They were responsible for the grey-robed priests and the orphanage.

Similar to all white-robes, they too could grant the white grace and had servants to take care of their needs and follow their orders. However, most of them only prepared rituals. Rarely would they perform them. During a [Prayer], the priests and priestesses would be the caster of the spells, while the shrine maidens supported them with mana.

The division in duties might seem a bit lopsided in the priest’s favor, but this had an actual purpose. Shrine maidens, or their male counterparts the shrine caretakers, were usually people who wanted a calmer lifestyle, away from any hierarchical tensions. They still had the same influence and power as a white-robe, at the end of the day, but they couldn’t be promoted to a bishop or cardinal.

As I already experienced myself, shrine maidens could be identified by having a white-red robe, like mine, while the priests would have white-gold ones. Number one reason why the Carine villagers thought I was a clergywoman. Argh, my poor white mage outfit … ruined by Peolyncian religion.

Regardless, as we entered the temple, Saori once again pointed out how similar the temple was to a cathedral. It was huge and wide, so grandiose that it made me feel tiny. The first room we entered was a long hallway with benches along both side walls, leading to an altar.

Barathan then directed my attention to the crowd of people congregating near the altar, and informed me that a few priests were there to grant the white grace. Concerning the recipients, I only noticed humans in fine clothes, but none of them had a [Noble Aura] like the one I felt from Ellaine and her family. Were they merchants?

As I was pondering that question, a lanky man suddenly approached us from the side, wearing a well-maintained grey robe.

“The church of Aurena humbly greets your—Ah!” As he was greeting us, he suddenly noticed me behind Saori and quickly kneeled down, holding his arms together in a pose of prayer. “I humbly ask for your forgiveness for not having noticed you, Lady Shrine Maiden! May the Goddess bless your every step on this holy ground.”

Huh?

The man didn’t raise his head for a moment, diligently keeping still as if he was waiting for something. As I wasn’t saying anything due to my confusion, Barathan whispered, “Your white robes, my Lady,” which quickly made me realize what was going on. I was once again confused for a clergywoman!

“Y-you may rise,” I told him, sheepishly.

“May the Goddess bless your soul,” he gave his thanks, rising to his feet before asking what I was doing here. “How may the Firwood temple serve you, my Lady Shrine Maiden. If you are here on a pilgrimage, should I call a white-robe priest at your behest?”

Barathan then informed me the reception would’ve been more fitting if I had gone through the noble district’s temple entrance. White-robed priests would have come to greet me and give me a proper welcome, but that required me to announce my arrival beforehand.

I had to send one of those messenger bird thingies to inform the temple I was coming, as it was considered rude to appear without warning. As I wanted to enter the temple immediately, Barathan thought it would be faster to come from the commoner’s entry to avoid all the commotion. A decision he considered validated once I told him I didn’t want to meet any nobles.

As I looked up at the tall grey priest, I spoke with a mix of casualness and authority, “That won’t be necessary. I have come today to pray at the shrine of the gods. Nothing more. Please, lead me to it.”

The priest gave me a swift nod the moment he heard my wish, almost as if he didn’t even question it. With my retinue, he led us out of the altar room and into a room to the right, where six shrines were placed there.

“If you have more orders for me, I shall await them gladly,” he said as he bowed.

“That won’t be necessary. You may stay if you wish or go.”

The shrine of the gods, a place of worship for the various followers of the Origin Gods. Although the temple was dedicated to Aurena, they had to accommodate all six Origin Gods by law, due to the importance of each six to their world’s history. Even if Marsven was frowned upon by most Aurena priests, he was still an Origin God. To not even show him some respect through an altar  was sacrilegious.

Similar to how Tasianna prayed to Zephira and Plesia, or how the lizardmen worshipped Kargryxmor and Marsven, many people embraced one or more gods. Although a shrine couldn’t be made for every single subordinate god, one could use their respective chief god as a proxy. This was why this altar room was kept in a pristine state.

… Still, the popularity of a god did affect the appearance of the shrines.

Jeez, Shiterno, why does your shrine look so sad? Does nobody pray to you?

If I were to rank the overall appearance of the shrines, then I would start with Danterno, ahem, Shiterno in last place … and honestly, it wasn’t even a contest. His shrine was empty, without a single piece of offering. Unlike the other altars, this one didn’t have a statue of a person, only a flame. It seemed pitiful.

Marsven’s shrine was nearly as barren as Shiterno’s, but a few people left black amulets and statues before it. People respected him, even if there weren’t many. The next was Plesia, although, compared to the former two, her shrine was decorated with plenty of gifts and offerings. Although Plesia wasn’t super popular in Firwood, she was still admired and respected by plenty of citizens. It made Shiterno and Marsven seem like minor gods.

Both Zephira’s and Crustacia’s shrines almost had the same amounts of offerings, looking prettier than Plesia’s, giving weight to Ellaine’s words when she mentioned the Greenveil Duchy also worshiped the Goddesses of Wind and Earth. Being an agricultural land would make you like the two Goddesses responsible for land management.

Lastly, the most opulent shrine belonged to none other than Aurena herself.

I walked closer to her altar as everybody else stayed back. I wasn’t a religious person in my past life, but, as if something was speaking to me, I knew exactly how to pray to her. I kneeled down, kept my hands together, and closed my eyes. I then focused on the image of the statue on the shrine, the figure of an angel-winged woman with flowing blond hair.

And the moment I opened my eyes, all I could see was a white and formless world. I wasn’t in the temple anymore and no matter how often I turned my head around, Saori and Tasianna weren’t there. I was alone.

My surroundings immediately changed the moment I spouted, “Where the hell am I?” The ground turned into clouds, but it felt soft and stable to stand on. I peaked down, noticing the lack of shadows in this place.

My body was then forcibly turned around before stopping before a room decorated with white and golden furniture only a rich girl could ever possess. The luxury and wealth inside this room would even overshadow Ellaine’s mansions. It could only be called the epitome of opulence, keeping everything tastefully stylish without including anything gaudy, meaning the designer of this room knew exactly how to decorate fashionably.

“Welcome, my dear Champion,” a serene voice full of warmth suddenly called out for me, filling not only my ears but also my soul with a feeling of relaxation. All the anxiety I had was just swept away with the tone of her voice.

“A-are you Goddess Aurena?” I asked, finally noticing a woman sitting down at a table, sipping her tea inside the beautiful room. Her appearance fitted perfectly the image of the statue I just prayed to.

She smiled so genuinely it felt a bit nostalgic, as she gazed at me with golden irises. “You are correct, Hestia. Aurena, the Origin Goddess of Light and a primary administrator of Peolynca, is here. Sit, we only have a limited time together.”

As her elegant hand movements mesmerized me, I followed her order and took a seat at the table, before a piercing headache assaulted me. It stung my brain, feeling like a sharp needle was slowly piercing through my head. I clutched the table. The pain escalated to the point my body felt too weak to even support myself. I couldn’t open my eyes anymore!

Arck!”

ARRGGGGH! STOP! STOP! MAJOR HEAL! MAJOR HEAL! ARRGH!

“Child!”

The pain coursed through me like a wave of blades, slicing not my body but my very soul. I desperately tried to use [Major Heal] to fix myself, too used to having healing magic, but those spells didn’t manifest. I couldn’t feel my mana. I couldn’t invoke my powers. I felt helpless. I felt helpless as I struggled to keep myself from falling down.

But at the next moment, everything was gone. I clutched my chest, breathing heavily as I collapsed with my head on the table, too fatigued to even sit back up. However, even this feeling eventually disappeared completely, replaced by calmness.

What was that?! I thought I was about to die.

“I-I apologize for that, Hestia. I was so elated to finally speak to you that I forgot your soul’s fragility,” a womanly voice apologized softly, prompting me to look up to see Aurena’s worried face. With her blond eyebrows furrowed, I thought she looked angry, but the way her eyes were shivering, it looked like a mother fearing for her kid’s health.

As I kept looking at her with bewilderment, prying her for an answer, she opened up her mouth to respond. “Your soul hasn’t fully healed yet, and with how it somehow managed to usurp control over my blessing to you, my divinity thought of you as an enemy. You ‘rebellion’ caused my aura to overpower your soul, instead of nursing it.”

“M-my soul?!”

“Your soul is currently visiting my home, my divine realm. Through the connection from my shrine, you are here with me. I apologize, most mortals who visit me are my followers so this never happened before,” she explained to me with a wry smile.

Rebellion?! Usurp?! Oh, scheiße!

From the shock of remembering those things, I jumped up like I hadn’t just been hurt, waving my arms around in complete denial. “Wait, wait, wait! I didn’t do it on purpose! I didn’t do it! I swear, I swear! I don’t know how it even happened in the first place, it just happened out of nowhere, I never even wanted to usurp your title at all. I swear, I swear!”

“Hold on, I should be the one to apologize. I invited you here and I nearly erased your soul accidentally.”

YOU NEARLY WHAT?!

But before I could freak out again, Aurena only needed to say “calm” to strip away all the fear I had in my mind, sweeping the inner turmoil and turning it tranquil. She reached a hand out, once again offering me to sit.

“Please, I meant it when I said we have limited time. Instead of wasting our time on this accident, I must tell you what you must know before we part.”

Seeing as she was serious about it, I simply sat back down again and asked her to proceed.

“Thank you. First, let me tell you exactly why Kargryxmor and I have summoned you to Peolynca, Hestia.”

Here we go. Time for God and Idol talk.

If you guys want to support me, Hestia and "A Dragon Idol's Reincarnation Tale" (or just read up to 20 advance chapters + any Patreon-only chapters) please check out my Patreon: Rawr

For two dollars, for the cost of a coffee, you can read up to four chapters for the whole month! You will have my eternal gratitude for any support you can give me! Please.

Thank you for reading this chapter.

29