Chapter 14: The Final (Part 3)
367 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Amano Suiren:

   "Can someone explain me how the scoreline is still only 1-0?"

   Rin asked as if she couldn't believe it. It is really unusual though. As our team are playing with only 10 men, we thought Class A would have won the game by now.

   "It's completely normal though.", Anjou-san replied.

   Both Rin and me were confused after hearing her. Anjou-san continued, 

  "It's because of the negative football which our team is playing. I'm sure it's Kouta's idea."

  "Can you please elaborate your boyfriend's plan?", Rin asked.

  "It's simple. As we all know, Class A has dominated every game until now and won by massive scoreline like 6-1, 7-1 etc. However in all of these games, the opponent teams also wanted to win the match and tried to play positive football. But today all our team have done is sit back and defend. Everytime a ball has come in our half we just tried to kick it out. We tried harsh tackles just to slow them down. We have wasted time after time to run the clock down. In short - Negative Football. It has stopped them from having much chances to attack."

   Anjou-san's explanation was mesmerising. We could only nod to her. She continued, 

  "But there's also another reason. I think Arawi has done really a good job till half time. He has saved all the shots which could be saved. He was a little lucky but still very good."

   "OF COURSE RIGHT? ARAWI-SAN HAS BEEN FANTASTIC HASN'T HE!?"

   "C-Calm down Sui-chan? What happened to you?"

   How can I calm down? You all were saying he is bad. And now he has done brilliant job and you are telling me to calm down?

  "But Anjou", Rin said, "Isn't it bad that we are playing negative football? There's no way we are winning this by playing this way. Also it does seem like we are the bad guys."

   Anjou-san thought a little and said, "I actually think we might win this."

   "Eh? How?"

   "However, in the next half, Class A will come out with even more determination. Their ego will surely be hurt as they could not score more against 10 men team."

   "So? How are you saying that we have a chance?"

   "If... if we don't concede till 70-80 minutes... then I think... we would win. So it's all down to Arawi. Don't concede for now Arawi, please."

   "P-PLEASE DON'T PUT ALL THE PRESSURE ON HIM!"

   "Sui-chan... don't tell me you like Arawi by any chance?"

   "T-That's not it! I mean... t-the second half has started! Watch the match."

   The second half started just like how the first half ended. Class A was attacking in full force. Yoshida-san's first shot was successfully saved by Arawi-san. Then another shot... then another... 

   I don't care what anyone says... Arawi-san is playing really good! 

   We were completely pinned into our own half.  Only one team were playing... Class A. And yet... they couldn't score. They are doing everything right apart from scoring.

   Yoshida-san looked frustrated and tried to shoot from long range. It was a powerful shot and it looked as if it would land into the top corner of the net. However, Arawi-san jumped enough and managed to get some hand on it to deflect it over the bar!

   "WOW!" (Anjou)

   "HOW?" (Rin)

   Arawi-san looked into the sky as if he couldn't believe it himself. The crowd shook their head in disbelief and disappointment! They really wanted Yoshida-san to score. They started shouting, 

   "How did he save that?!"

   "This f*cker has wings today!"

  At this time, Yoshida-san shouted to the crowd, "Cheer us more! We need you!"

   And apart from us, all the crowd started to cheer their lungs out. I thought we were suddenly in some K-Pop concert show!

  But time passes on... and still no more goal... 

   Arawi-san and all the defenders were actually doing their jobs incredibly well. The frustration of Yoshida-san's team was clearly visible. It was not fun for them anymore. It was rather humiliating that they were not able to break down a 10-men team.

   Then at 70th minute, came that moment. A foul inside the box... and Class A have a penalty!

   "Oh no!" (Rin)

   "Yeah that's it. We tried but I think it's over now." (Anjou-san)

   It looked as if all hopes were gone. However Arawi-san suddenly walked towards Yoshida-san and said something... and Yoshida-san seemed to be angry at him.

   "What... what is Arawi talking to Yoshida now?" (Rin)

   "Oh dear God..." (Anjou)

   Yoshida-san placed the ball on the penalty spot and waited for the referee's signal. The crowd were cheering "Yoshida! Yoshida!" 

   Arawi-san meanwhile... was looking straight to Yoshida-san. 

   And then... Yoshida-san took a deep breath... got ready... took his run up... shot the ball... AND BLEW IT IN THE SKY!!!

    The crowd were shell shocked. So were we! Pin-drop silence everywhere!

    Yoshida-san held his hands over his head. Our players ran towards Arawi-san and hugged him. It's fair to say they did not see it coming. There is a little smile in Arawi-san's face. 

    "What did he actually say to him? Is this some black magic?" (Rin)

   "We will know after the game. But oh boy... I will never forget this match regardless what the result would be!" (Anjou)

   "Me too! Arawi-san is a genius!"

   "You sure like him, don't you?" (Rin)

    

Arawi Kenji:

    "What the f*ck did you say to him?", Tanaka grabbed my neck and asked.

    "I will tell you later. But now concentrate on the match."

    I can't believe my plan worked! I never thought it would hurt his concentration so much that he would miss the shot.

    "I think you should ask anyone else to score the penalty. You will miss anyway."

   "Haha do you really think I will miss?"

   "I also didn't think you would have a terrible game. But here we are. You did miss so many chances."

   "...... you! Wait!"

    And the rest you know. 

    It's 75 minutes on the clock. And now suddenly Kouta announced, "It's time!"

   I nodded and kicked the ball straight to Kouta. He passed to Nuku who dribbled past 2 defenders and crossed to Tanaka. He tried to take the shot but was pushed down. It's a free kick to us.

   Kouta looked like he would cross the ball, instead he shot it straight into the net! No one was ready! Neither the goalkeeper nor our players! But who cares?! IT'S A GOAL!

   It's 1-1.

   It's our first shot! And our first goal! Class A has about 30 shots. They only have one goal! 

   It's the first time we were attacking in the match. And for this, the class A players were not ready. Now I got Kouta's plan...

   For the first 75 minutes, they were the only ones attacking. But now... they are tired! They don't have legs anymore. NOW WE ARE ON THE FRONT FOOT. 

   Frustration... agony... were on their faces. And that's when they started to lose their heads. It's now them who were suddenly kicking other players down. The game completely turned 180⁰ on its head.

   And never mind... it became chaos.

   It was not a soccer match anymore.

   It started when I made a simple save of a loosely hit shot from Yoshida. I was about to stand up with the ball and then... 

   He kicked my head.

   "HEY WHAT THE F*CK ARE DOING?"

    Tanaka grabbed Yoshida's collar. All the other players were also involved into the chaos. They started beating each other up. The teachers had to run into the field. The referee had given the red card to Yoshida already. However the fights kept on going. 

   Perhaps the only player who were not fighting was... me. I was holding my head in pain. Damn, how hard did Yoshida kick me?

   Our school doctor checked me and said, "You can't continue. Come to the infirmary already."

   "B-But..."

   "No 'but's. Just come already!"

   "Don't worry Kenji. Just go. Only 5 minutes are left. I would do the goalkeeping for that time.", Kouta took my gloves and sent me. 

    When I was walking out, I looked at Yoshida. It's fair to say it was a nightmare game for him. And it ended with a red card. 

   As I entered the school building, I heard a loud cheer from our team. Apparently our team has scored! It's possibly Tanaka! Because they were shouting his name!

   My teacher was grabbing my hand otherwise I would have gone back there celebrating. However my head was feeling so dizzy that I can't even walk well.

   "Don't even dare look back! Just come with me!"

   "Sorry ma'am."

   "Sigh... why are you kids so hot tempered? You all started fighting like crazy. It's just a game for crying out loud."

   "I'm... sorry."

   I lied down on the bed after some checkup and medicine. She asked me to stay here for at least an hour.

   "Can I not meet my friends to celebrate?"

   "NO!"

   She left the room. I was alone. I hate it. After so much chaos, we have won the game. And I can't even celebrate.

   I closed my eyes and tried to sleep. 

   And at that moment, someone started stroking my head. I was surprised, but I somehow knew who this was.

   "Amano-san?"

   "Shut up."

   "Are you angry?"

   "Yes!"

   "Why?"

   "If you knew, everyone fights during a soccer game, then why did you participate?"

   "Haha..."

   "Don't laugh!"

   "Are you crying?"

   "No I'm not!"

   "Don't worry. I'm absolutely fine. I'll come back after an hour."

   "I'm not gonna leave until I want."

   She continued stroking my head. I didn't remember but I probably fell asleep immediately. I didn't even have any energy left to tell her thanks. 

   

[To be continued]

Full time statistics:

Class A Class F
Possession  75% 25%
Shots 31 2
Shots on Target 14 2
Goals 1 2
Red Cards 1 1

That's it. The soccer arc is over. To be honest, I didn't intend to write it for so long. I wanted to finish this arc quickly. But anyway, from next chapter, it will be only romance again and nothing else. See you next time.

   

   

   

13