Chapter 6
137 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Andrew’s day passed, and he managed to make only ten more sales. He frowned. He knew that, if there were bundle offers or discounts, more people would come. But, Karl didn’t want them. So, Andrew’s hands were tied.

Karl also didn’t do much advertising. When Andrew had a downtime between three and five pm, before the evening shoppers had come, he had taken some pictures of some of the more unique merchandise.

His plan was to make a blog with Wix when he got back, after he was done with making the card for the old man, and advertise the Antique Elegance store. It would cost him nothing but time, seeing as Wix had a free hosting and domain name included in their free version of the service.

Andrew supposed he would have to pull late hours. But, it would be worth it. If he got more sales, he would get a bigger bonus and then, he would have more money for his savings account. The one where he planned to stash his money for his higher education.

When he exited, he saw a homeless person waving at him. He blinked, then, he remembered that this was the man he had invited to his home. He went to the man, Erin, his name was, and stopped before him.

“Come on, the place is close by,” said Andrew, and Erin followed him without a word. Andrew tried not to walk too up front, so he wouldn’t insult his guest. But, the stench was overwhelming. He supposed that he could give Erin the first turn for the shower.

They made it to the apartment without saying a word, and Andrew let them inside. It was pleasantly warm in and, when they entered, Erin let out a content sigh.

“Where were you while you waited?” Andrew was feeling guilty of not inviting the man to stay at the store, where it was warm, but he would have driven off the customers.

“The park. At least there is a place to sit there. And, no one chases you away when you spend hours there,” Andrew nodded, feeling even guiltier. Erin had spent the cold autumn day out in the cold, in the fog, while Andrew had been warm and cozy.

“The bathroom is behind that door,” Andrew pointed at a beige door and Erin looked at him pointedly.

“I don’t have any toiletries or a towel. Or clothes,” Andrew blushed at the oversight. He had seen that Erin didn’t carry anything, but it had just slipped his mind.

“You can use mine. You go and shower, and I’ll lay some clothes for you on the couch. I seem to be a bit taller than you, but, otherwise we have a similar body build,” they were both slender, but Andrew was a whole head taller than Erin.

“Thanks, Andrew. You are being very nice,” and Erin went to the bathroom without a backwards glance. Andrew went to his room and took out some warm clothes. A sweater, underwear, a T-shirt, and some jeans. Casual wear. If Erin needed something more formal for job hunting, Andrew could always give him the suit. It was short for him on the ankles and should fit Erin just fine.

Andrew laid down the clothes and went to see what he had in the fridge. He had some spaghetti with meat balls and tomato souse from yesterday. And, just his luck, it was enough for two. He heated two plates and then heard the water in his bathroom getting turned off.

Erin exited the room, looking much cleaner and refreshed. Happier, too. He began to dress, and Andrew busied himself with placing the plates on the table. Erin looked to be hesitating about something when he saw the food, but then, he got a determined look on his face.

“Thank you for inviting me,” said Erin, and Andrew smiled, unsure of what else he could do. “But, I have something to tell you. Please don’t freak out.”

Erin opened his mouth and extended his fangs. Andrew dropped the fork he had in his hands.

“What?” Squeaked, Andrew and Erin began talking.

“I am a vampire. It is very uncomfortable to have these out. Oh, I am not some ancient being either, in case you were wondering. I am just twenty-five. Have been a vampire for a month,” Andrew nodded and closed his mouth, realizing he was gaping like a fish.

“So, uhm,” Andrew was at a loss for words. He had extended a helping hand, and the person he had done so to ended up being a vampire. Until now, Andrew thought them just bedtime stories. Romantic ideas for girls and gay boys.

“I don’t need to eat food anymore, just blood. I can live off rats, but I need a nice, warm, place to stay. At least until I get back on my feet,” Andrew nodded again. He remembered how Erin had asked about his position before, when they met.

“You can stay as long as you require,” said Andrew. The man had been down on his luck and hadn’t tried to attack him. Personally, Andrew felt sorry for him. Andrew bent down and picked up the fallen fork. He placed it in the sink and sat down at the table.

“Thanks. I’ll go sleep now. I haven’t slept in a warm place for a month. These darn hospitals charge you your soul for a bottle of blood,” Andrew nodded again, then, he felt foolish for only doing that.

“Wait, I’ll go get you a blanket,” Andrew said, and he rushed to his room. There were small pillows on the couch, so Erin was covered on that front. But, the man needed a blanket. Erin had two. One, he used, and a spare for when he washed the other one. Both were gifts from the staff at the orphanage. They gifted each teenager with something when they left. Pitched in the money together.

Erin took the beige blanket and carried it back to the living room slash kitchen area.

“Here, pleasant dreams,” said Andrew, and he handed Erin the blanket. Erin smiled in a relieved way and plopped down on the couch, cocooning himself in the blanket and falling asleep soon after. Andrew took his food and carried it to his bedroom. It just wouldn’t do to disturb Erin’s sleep.   

6